News Oat Milk Should be Your N°1 Choice

Lou

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Forget almond, soy, and even dairy milk: Oat milk should be the only milk you drink. Here's why.

Good article but it didn't convince me to give up on my soy milk. It seems like the author's only point against soy milk over oat milk is that it oat tastes better in coffee. Soy has more protein and that is the thing that most concerns me.

I'll give you my soy when you pry it from my cold, dead hands"

thoughts? comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
I mainly use soya milk for both coffee and for cooking. Not only is it less expensive, high in protein but also tastes great in Coffee.

It really does depend on the brand and Alpro products are the best plant based soya ones on the market. :)

Reactions: Lou
Soy milk did go well with coffee, in my own experience... But that was 10 or so years ago. Huge cup of coffee with soy milk was the best part of the morning.

Now-a-days I do not drink coffee.
I buy 0atly because it tastes amazing with rooibos tea, is essential ingredient in my morning oats (it makes the oatmeal taste better, sweeter, richer and softer)
Oat milk also is more affordable than other plant based milks.

The article is very informative and well written.

Reactions: Lou and Irene Adler
Two questions:

In the article it asserts that soy production is a major cause of deforestation, isn't that because soy farming mostly produces feed for livestock?

To the best of my knowledge, all the soy, and a majority of the soy products I consume are with US grown soy. I can't account for the few products I may have used that list soy or some soy component in the ingredients. I live in Iowa and literally can walk into my backyard and see bean fields--for me to intentionally use imported soy is really a classic case of "taking coals to Newcastle".

The second thing, re: almonds and water usage-- I've heard that almonds use no more water than any other tree crop, I don't know if this is accurate. It might also be that the water requirements are for other tree nuts. I also don't know if that may be so often cited because of the acres devoted to almonds vs other tree crops and the locations where they are grown.

The only oat milk I've ever had is what I've made myself--I have not seen any commercial product available locally, so I have no opinion on the taste.

Reactions: David3
I wish j
I mainly use soya milk for both coffee and for cooking. Not only is it less expensive, high in protein but also tastes great in Coffee.

It really does depend on the brand and Alpro products are the best plant based soya ones on the market. :)
I wish I could try Alpro. I love Silk soy original creamer. I have tried nearly every other non dairy creamer available here and none of them taste even remotely decent. If, for some reason, they do away with it, I seriously would never be able to drink coffee again. 😭

Two questions:

In the article it asserts that soy production is a major cause of deforestation, isn't that because soy farming mostly produces feed for livestock?

To the best of my knowledge, all the soy, and a majority of the soy products I consume are with US grown soy. I can't account for the few products I may have used that list soy or some soy component in the ingredients. I live in Iowa and literally can walk into my backyard and see bean fields--for me to intentionally use imported soy is really a classic case of "taking coals to Newcastle".

The second thing, re: almonds and water usage-- I've heard that almonds use no more water than any other tree crop, I don't know if this is accurate. It might also be that the water requirements are for other tree nuts. I also don't know if that may be so often cited because of the acres devoted to almonds vs other tree crops and the locations where they are grown.

The only oat milk I've ever had is what I've made myself--I have not seen any commercial product available locally, so I have no opinion on the taste.

Good questions and points.
#1. yes. most of the imported soy from Brazil goes into animal feed. We American Soy Mik Drinkers, buy North American, Non-GMO soy.

a litre of cow’s milk uses around 1050 litres of water to produce.
a litre of oat milk needs about 48 litres of water produce
a litre of soy milk uses around 297 litres of water to produce.

I couldn't easily find a comparable number for almonds. But I think the Bee thing outweighs any other concern.

I wish j

I wish I could try Alpro. I love Silk soy original creamer. I have tried nearly every other non dairy creamer available here and none of them taste even remotely decent. If, for some reason, they do away with it, I seriously would never be able to drink coffee again. 😭

I've never tasted soya products that as are delicious as Alpro. I wasn't too keen on the nd silk/other pb creamers that I tried in the US. Moreover, they all seem to contain sugar.
I also dislike black coffee and could easily swap to tea if creamers no longer existed. :confused:

Reactions: KLS52
Read the ingredients list.

I have yet to read the back of a container of oat milk where the ingredients list isn't full of oil and other ****.

Read the ingredients list.

I have yet to read the back of a container of oat milk where the ingredients list isn't full of oil and other ****.
Before this thread I had never heard of anyone buying oat milk... And yes, it's hard to find a giant corporation that doesn't put everything including the kitchen sink in to their product if they think it will sell better.

Why pay 10x for oat milk with extra crap when you can make it in 10 minutes?

Reactions: Nekodaiden
Before this thread I had never heard of anyone buying oat milk... And yes, it's hard to find a giant corporation that doesn't put everything including the kitchen sink in to their product if they think it will sell better.

Pfft. 2 minutes or less.

Good article but it didn't convince me to give up on my soy milk. It seems like the author's only point against soy milk over oat milk is that it oat tastes better in coffee. Soy has more protein and that is the thing that most concerns me.

thoughts? comments?

But soy will turn you into a women. ;)

Real men drink almond milk.

• Haha
Reactions: Brian W

My guess is that part of it has to do with culture and demographic. I understand that in some places like Russia, a large percentage of the population (especially those outside big cities) still depend on growing much of their own produce. In the US, far fewer. People with larger incomes also tend to see their income as more convenient than home prep of simple items and are usually more receptive to marketing. I have a friend who has a 6 figure salary and would never learn to make plant milks, sauces or pretty much anything else because it's seen as more effort to learn/make than simply purchasing it at the supermarket.

I had Planet Oat and Oatly oat milk and loved both. I'm going to try this and make it myself- I'll post results-

Reactions: Val and Lou
Forget almond, soy, and even dairy milk: Oat milk should be the only milk you drink. Here's why.

thoughts? comments?
My "thoughts and comments" on this subject would be the following: my blocky carcass knows best what it should devour (or avoid).:iiam: And for some unknown reason, it digests oat milk only. The other varieties of plant milk are being violently rejected by my stomach (and other organs). So, oat milk all the way!:bd:

Reactions: KLS52
My guess is that part of it has to do with culture and demographic. I understand that in some places like Russia, a large percentage of the population (especially those outside big cities) still depend on growing much of their own produce. In the US, far fewer. People with larger incomes also tend to see their income as more convenient than home prep of simple items and are usually more receptive to marketing. I have a friend who has a 6 figure salary and would never learn to make plant milks, sauces or pretty much anything else because it's seen as more effort to learn/make than simply purchasing it at the supermarket.
Lol, i don't have a 6 figure salary, and i do live in Russia, but i almost never make anything with my own hands. Maybe the reason is that i'm just a lazy ×ss, bwahahahaha.:lol:
P.S. Well, seriously speaking, i either have no time, because i waste a lot of time and energy on just getting to work (it's a long long way!), or, when i have time (days off), i feel exhausted and i need to regain consciousness somehow, so i prefer just having a walk around/outside the town and shopping for acceptible food.🙂

• Haha
Reactions: Nekodaiden
The video is very interesting and it does look really easy to make the oat milk. I may have to try it sometime! I almost always have oatmeal on hand. I am not much of a "do it yourself-er" though.

Reactions: Val
Here in Sweden, oats are BIG! I can get a carton of vitamin and mineral fortified oat milk for half the price of other milks, otherwise I would choose soya for its higher protein and zinc content.

Reactions: Lou and Val
I'm glad silva and others are inspired by the video she posted on making oat milk, but that dude makes it too complicated. I simply blend oats raw with a little water and then mix in more water to desired consistency. Straining out means wasted oats - but if you must, no need for a nut bag, just pour the mixture in a bottle and wait - the residue will sink to the bottom and you can pour off the liquid from there. Or you can be hardcore and shake that btch for all hearty goodness of a whole food drink. :cool:

Reactions: Lou and Val