Nutrition & Diet Nuts are Good for You

:drool:

I love nuts. I go nuts over nuts.

My favorites are almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts and hazelnuts (filberts), although I'll eat other nuts if I'm hungry enough. It's interesting that I never liked cashews and used to avoid them when I was young, but I'm more willing to eat them now, although I don't go, um, nuts over them. :p They add some nice flavor to energy bars, and I'm totally shocked that they can be used to make a scrumptious vegan cheese sauce. :yes:

Sprouts market has raw Brazil nuts in bulk. They're not cheap, and I rarely get to Sprouts these days, but whenever I go, I always make sure to get some of those raw Brazil nuts. I LOVE Brazil nuts. :D

And whenever I have coupons for Blue Diamond almonds, I usually get them raw (called "natural" on the package). The salted ones are often too salty for me, and I like the meaty flavor of the raw almonds that in the salted kind sort of gets overpowered by the salty flavor.

ETA: It really irritates me whenever I read something in a magazine or newspaper or online cautioning readers to avoid or minimize consumption of nuts because OMG they're fattening! But what they don't say is that nuts contain good fats, not the bad fats of, say, red meat. And unfortunately some of their readers are omnis who think nothing of eating a lot of fatty fish as part of a diet plan but will avoid nuts because "OMG they're fattening". :fp:

Last edited:
Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I buy raw nuts generally. Especially in the case of almonds, their flavor is far superior, IMO.

I love just about all kinds of nuts, and I agree about the unsalted being far superior. Around the holidays, I love keeping big bowls of mixed nuts (in their shells) and nutcrackers around. :D
This! My favorites are almonds, walnuts and pecans. I like most nuts raw, but I do have a thing for roasted almonds. Yum.

Here's the recipe for the vegan cashew cheese they use at Real Food Daily. When they make it into a sauce, it's absolute heaven. :D

http://www.realfood.com/blog/vegan-cashew-cheese-recipe
Thank you, Amy!

Reactions: Amy SF and ledboots
Agreed. Love them! I incorporate nuts of some sort -- typically almonds -- in some way everyday. It frustrates me to no end that when someone sees me eating a few nuts they feel the need to caution me about the fat content in nuts. (Or if you're eating fruit, people have to warn you about the sugar in fruit) Meanwhile if someone eats horrible junk the only comment they get is 'that looks sooooo good!'
What's with the healthy food hate? DX Besides, it's good-for-you-your-body-needs-it fat.

I generally prefer my nuts raw, but so long as they're unseasoned (including salt and sugar) I'm a happy camper.

My favorites are almonds, pistachios and cashews. Walnuts are probably my least favorite as they're a bit on the bitter side for my taste. Honourable mention goes to pecans and macadamia nuts, as I also love those. :)

I like nuts. Raw and unsalted, preferably. Cashews and pistachios are my favorites. Walnuts and peanuts my least fav to eat alone but ok if they are an ingredient in something. I love PB and other nut butters.

ETA: It really irritates me whenever I read something in a magazine or newspaper or online cautioning readers to avoid or minimize consumption of nuts because OMG they're fattening!

Nuts are NOT fattening.

If they were then we'd be seeing far more monkeys and squirrels wearing corsets.

But what they don't say is that nuts contain good fats, not the bad fats of, say, red meat. :fp:

Spooky. Just signed on as I opened a bag of NUTS !!! :eek:

Love them any which way too.

In an effort to both lay off carbs and economise I have been buying Asda raw mixed peanuts and raisins (at £1 for a generous bag) for my lunch.

My friend who is on a structured diet programme recoiled in horror warning me that nuts are sooo fattening and should be avoided at all costs.

Sucks! I just knew I should have chosen the side of beef instead :yuck:

Reactions: PTree15 and Amy SF
Peanut butter every day man. Every damn day, that's how I roll.

I love cashews because they are super tasty on their own but also really, really good in meals ie. stir frys etc.

Love pistachios too & I have walnuts on my oats almost every morning.

Reactions: ledboots
Help yourself to some nuts this holiday season: Regular nut eaters were less likely to die of cancer or heart disease — in fact, were less likely to die of any cause — during a 30-year Harvard study.
Nuts make you immortal. :pa:

I prefer them roasted and nice and salty, but I will eat them raw too. Cashews, almonds and walnuts are my favorites.
Right now I'm eating garlic pistachios from the new Farmer's Market here in town. :D

I'm afraid to look at that, because it probably takes a food processer. All the good recipes do. :p

I love raw, unsalted nuts. I'll eat roasted and/or salted but it's not what I prefer.

If you're unable to take advantage of many good recipes because they use a food processor, perhaps you should buy a food processor. Just sayin'. :shrug:

If you're unable to take advantage of many good recipes because they use a food processor, perhaps you should buy a food processor. Just sayin'. :shrug:
Oh it's on my wish list of things to buy when I have money. Maybe within the next 10 years. :p

Oh it's on my wish list of things to buy when I have money. Maybe within the next 10 years. :p
The food processor is the one kitchen tool I now can't do without (well, I could if I really had to, lol). It makes everything from hummus to ice cream -- and fast. :D

I don't have a food processor, but I do have a Vitamix. It's fantastic, but when making thicker things like hummus or worse yet nut butters, I envy people with food processors, since it's such a pain to try and get the nut butter out of all the crannies from around the blade. DX Meanwhile food processor people can just separate the bowl part from the blade for easy scraping.

For thinner things like smoothies that can just pour out, it's so incredible. :)

Reactions: PTree15
I have wanted a Vitamix or some high-performance blender for a while. The blender I have now barely makes a smoothie, and it takes a lot of effort to get the ice crushed.

I love my magic bullet for smoothies and blending. I don't have a normal blender/vitamix. I have a food processor but almost never use it. I find it a nuisance and hard to clean. :(

Reactions: thefadedone