Aliens.

my take on it is more colored by philosophy. It's not a foregone conclusion. and certainly there is not a lot of supporting evidence, but my opinion is that an advanced civilization should also have an advanced moral code. Not up-to-date on my Star Trek stuff but I'm pretty sure that the Federation did not have a live stock industry. They had those machines that transformed matter and had syntheitic meat. I remember that in one episode the Klingons ate things that were alive - so they probably weren't synthetic. but I think they were just worms. It probably is pretty hard to keep a herd of cows or even a flock of chickens on a spaceship.

I can't remember what movie or TV show but the characters had a lot of meal worm recipes. On a space ship without transformers, meal worms might make a lot of sense.

I don't think the Vulcans even had a moral code. they governed themselves with logic. And I'm pretty sure that with the inefficiencies of livestock production - they would have abandoned animal husbandry as illogical

In Larry Niven's universe he liked to play around with how biology could affect a civilization. He had one civilization that were herbivores, Puppeteers. and another that were like tigers, K'zin.

Sometimes non-vegans will pose a question like, what would happen to all the livestock if the world turned vegan. I always point out that the world, could not, would not go vegan overnight.

but just for fun I invented a scenario where the world goes vegan overnight.

Astonomers detect a space armada heading for Earth. The Admiral sends a message to Earth that we have to decipher. they have not yet figured out how to read, listen, or view our transmissions. but they have come in peace and hope share their advanced technology and learn about life on earth. when we finally decode their messages we get video. and this alien race look remarkably like cows.

the earth goes vegan overnight.:)
Larry Niven! Love his stuff. David Brin, too.

I saw Larry Niven speak on a sci-fi panel at the Los Angeles Festival of Books in the late 1990s. The best part of the panel was when a young woman in the audience asked the panelists if they would consider writing sci-fi novels wherein the protagonists were cats. So many people started laughing, I'm guessing because (1) the "cats-are-girly" thing plus male stereotype-threat, and (2) Larry Niven had already written multiple novels about the cat-like Kzin species. I almost wonder whether it was staged - the comedy was sublime.

Last edited:
Larry Niven! Love his stuff. David Brin, too.

I saw Larry Niven speak on a sci-fi panel at the Los Angeles Festival of Books in the late 1990s. The best part of the panel was when a young woman in the audience asked the panelists if they would consider writing sci-fi novels wherein the protagonists were cats. So many people started laughing, I'm guessing because (1) the "cats-are-girly" thing plus male stereotype-threat, and (2) Larry Niven had already written multiple novels about the cat-like Kzin species. I almost wonder whether it was staged - the comedy was sublime.
The Honor Harrington series has an alien species similar to cats. Honor's friend and companion is Nimitz. I just love Nimitz. Although he is a carnivore he just loves celery.

Honor_Harrington_1903.JPG

Reactions: David3
Raising livestock animals on a starship would be inefficient and smelly. Who is assigned to clean up the poop? What do you do with the skin, bones, cartilage, intestinal contents etc.? A starfaring civilization would have the technology to efficiently synthesize food.
Noah did it. Certainly aliens could.:grinning:;)

Reactions: Ahimsa
Apparently, Noah was a veggie? Either way, it's unlikely that he'd take the animals two by two in order to restock the world only to eat them while he's trying to spot dry land. 🤔
isn't that the explanation of why there are no dinasaurs? Noah ate them.
;)

Reactions: Ahimsa
isn't that the explanation of why there are no dinasaurs? Noah ate them.
;)
Noah's real name was Russell Crowe; he was also a gladiator, but as he didn't come on the scene until a long time after the dinosaurs. Anyway, most gladiators were vegetarians!

Reactions: Lou
Apparently, Noah was a veggie? Either way, it's unlikely that he'd take the animals two by two in order to restock the world only to eat them while he's trying to spot dry land. 🤔
Noah was a vegan until after the flood. The "clean" animals went onboard seven by seven, it was only the unclean ones that went on two by two. During forty days and forty nights in captivity, some mating may have taken place here and there. I personally think it is doubtful that Genesis should be taken literally but I don't believe God created suffering and death. It just became necessary at some point.

Reactions: Tom L. and Ahimsa
Whether they could sustain a meat centered diet depends on their level of technology. If they are very advanced, they just may have figured out a way to do it.
Better know now there are no technological plausibilities for overcoming grand natural principle... especially in space travel.. no meat muncher could overcome the radiative degrees and intensities of any trans-solar system travel... IMHO :D

• Wow
Reactions: Lou and Ahimsa
Noah was a vegan until after the flood. The "clean" animals went onboard seven by seven, it was only the unclean ones that went on two by two. During forty days and forty nights in captivity, some mating may have taken place here and there. I personally think it is doubtful that Genesis should be taken literally but I don't believe God created suffering and death. It just became necessary at some point.
Noah ... mating with the animals ... who'd have thought it! 🤔

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Lou
"To serve man is a cookbook"...🙂
:D I loved that series! Two episodes scared the crap out of me, though: "Little Girl Lost" and "Hocus-Pocus and Frisby". But "I Sing The Body Electric", based on the short story by Ray Bradbury, was truly moving.

Anyhow: In the series "Enterprise", T'Pol (a Vulcan) is vegetarian, although most of the crew isn't; I don't know if she would have had a problem with artificial meat manufactured in a replicator, as I think was done in "Star Trek" (the original series) onward. In "The Next Generation", First Officer Riker mentions in one episode that the Federation "no longer enslaves animals for food".

Reactions: Lou and Ahimsa