Any Intelligent Alien Life Out There?

rogerjolly

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Many years ago I had a regular drinking companion. We would have a few beers and put everything to rights.

During these sessions he developed “Ken’s Universal Theory of Regression”.

This stated that once any species on any planet develops sufficient intelligence to destroy itself then it inevitably will. Hence it is well-nigh impossible for two such intelligences to communicate with each other. By the time one has advanced sufficiently to contact the other then at least one of them has caused its own technological downfall if not downright total destruction.

He was thinking mainly of nuclear or biological warfare as possible destructive forces but now we can see it being caused through our disastrous effect on the environment.

Roger.

Yeah, this is a discussion I've had many times before. I don't think Ken invented it either.

Personally I don't believe that it's inevitable. There are probably millions of paths for a planet to take in evolving a technologically advanced species that is not bent on self-destruction.

Reactions: Urban Gardener
If there is intelligent life out there with an ability to travel between galaxies, they might look at us like a bunch of simpleton worms crawling through a garden. With how vast the universe and space is estimated to be, it would not surprise me.

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas
During these sessions he developed “Ken’s Universal Theory of Regression”.

This is a common hypothetical explanation for the Fermi paradox. A premise for the Fermi paradox is that there is a lack of evidence for visitation. But actually, this premise is untrue. There is a lot of evidence. Some of it is in the form of eyewitness testimony from whistle-blowers like Charles Hall:

No one remembers Patrick Macnee's line in the intro of the original Battlestar Galactica?

Option number two is that they visited our planet, and were even recorded in ancient mythology, but either left or did not survive.

Third that they developed enough not to interfere with the development of others.

Finally that they haven't developed enough yet, and intelligent life in the cosmos is still in an early stage