Nutrition & Diet Nutrition Fact Label Proposal by FDA

thefadedone

Needs a life
Reaction score
I'm not sure which section of the board to post this is in, but since it has to do with food I put it in here.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/nutrition-fact-label-changes-proposed-by-fda/

I don't mind the new proposed labeling. I like how the serving sizes will be more realistic. I also like that Vitamin D and potassium would be included. I don't like how Vitamin A and C would be optional though. I think those should be mandatory as well.

Agreed, shyvas. The more information, the better.

Thefadedone, I agree that all the vitamins should be listed, since our bodies need all of them.

Agreed, shyvas. The more information, the better.

Thefadedone, I agree that all the vitamins should be listed, since our bodies need all of them.

It is also important to bear in mind the following information when buying food :

Secret sugars

Even though ingredients used the most in a packaged food usually sit at the top of the ingredient label, "food companies have gotten clever at breaking up the added sugar," says Walter Willet. You may see some of these listed instead:

• High fructose corn syrup
  • Cane crystal/cane juice
  • Isomalt
  • Sucrose
  • Maltose
  • Sorbitol
  • Dextrose

Reactions: PTree15
I have noticed this ^^^ on labels more and more. It's very annoying. Recently, a label I read had "high fructose corn syrup, fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup" amongst the huge list of ingredients (did not buy). Wth!

I have noticed this ^^^ on labels more and more. It's very annoying. Recently, a label I read had "high fructose corn syrup, fructose corn syrup, and corn syrup" amongst the huge list of ingredients (did not buy). Wth!

Indeed. Food manufacturers are very crafty and if the label says No added Sugar it may contain the above ingredients which are sugar substances.

It is also important to bear in mind the following information when buying food :

Secret sugars

Even though ingredients used the most in a packaged food usually sit at the top of the ingredient label, "food companies have gotten clever at breaking up the added sugar," says Walter Willet. You may see some of these listed instead:

• High fructose corn syrup
  • Cane crystal/cane juice
  • Isomalt
  • Sucrose
  • Maltose
  • Sorbitol
  • Dextrose
Indeed! People need to be educated. And some products have more than one of those "ingredients."