Non Processed Snacks for Kids

SouthernVegan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
I am Vegan and now my husband and 3 kiddos have decided to join me. With school starting back does anyone have good ideas for quick kid lunches and snacks that aren’t processed - which I guess means we have to prep and make :). They eat tons of fruit and nuts, but we need to expand on our snack options.

Certain energy bars are minimally processed.
The same is true for some brands of peanut butter. Can be e.g. served with cut pieces of apple.
There are also some jams that don't have added sugar.
Corn-on-the-cob, although probably not very nice unless warmed up.
Baby corn?
Home-made refried beans? Probably needs refrigeration and are better served in a wrap of some kind, which are typically considered processed.

Granola or muesli can be bought or homemade minimally processed. It's got oats, sometimes other whole grains, dried fruit, nuts and occasionally some other goodies like cinnamon, vanilla, or cocoa powder. I think muesli is less processed than granola across the board, but granola isn't bad as long as you read the labels.

I love lupini beans, I even have lupini bean hummus now. There's a brand that sells lupini beans with just sea salt or in various dressings for snacks. Brami.

Half an avocado with or without salt.

I don't know how you feel about salt, but when I was a kid I loved pickles and olives. I grew up with grandparents so was given a lot of fresh fruit, veggies sliced, crackers with peanut butter, olives and pickles (and cheese, but we can drop that here).

Reactions: Emma JC
never seen anyone intentionally eat the leaves of a strawberry, even if it's non-poisonous I would think people wouldn't want to eat that part.

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
When I was working (now retired) I had a soup/stew thermos and make 5 lunches on the weekend, on the day microwave very hot and put in the thermos. But I guess thermoses are now retro, the best kind are the plastic with glass inside bottle, metal ones aren't very good.

OR . . .

Check out this guy for easy meal prep.
Vegan Physique

the falafels are a great idea and also you can make sandwiches from chick peas so that they are like vegan tuna salad or chicken salad - lots of easy recipes out there for those

also one thing I love cold/room temperature is gnocchi - is you made it the night before, or in a batch, with spaghetti sauce on it, then put a few in with their lunch (sprinkled with nutritional yeast) I bet they would love it with a side of celery, carrots, cucumber etc

Emma JC

When I was working (now retired) I had a soup/stew thermos and make 5 lunches on the weekend, on the day microwave very hot and put in the thermos. But I guess thermoses are now retro, the best kind are the plastic with glass inside bottle, metal ones aren't very good.

OR . . .

Check out this guy for easy meal prep.
Vegan Physique

The best thermoses are the stainless steel ones.
The plastic with glass inside is just too fragile. I think any parent or kid familiar with them can tell you they never last thru the school year. the glass lining ends up breaking at some point.
The single-wall aluminum are sturdy and light but don't do that great a job in keeping things warm till lunch. Best just for taking a cup of coffee to work. Contego is a good brand and best known for the fact that they don't leak.
My favorite is a 16 oz coffee tumbler which is double-walled. aluminum in the inside and plastic on the outside.
But for taking a hot lunch to work my favorite is the Stanley double-walled stainless steel wide mouth. Maybe a little bit on the expensive side, but easily found at garage sales - they have been around so long and they last so long there are many units that have outlived their original owners.
These are the ones most favored by construction workers. The new ones have handles and can fit in a lunch box, too.

The best thermoses are the stainless steel ones.
These are the ones most favored by construction workers.

I worked construction and my work mate had the steel kind but didn't keep food or tea/coffee hot like mine. I still have mine.

Bananas, oatcakes (UK) and peanut butter. The best brand ever is Pip & Nut :

''Pip & Nut's Peanut Butter is made from just-roasted high-oleic Argentinian peanuts and a sprinkling of sea salt. That's it. Naturally nutritious and ridiculously tasty, this nut butter can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Absolutely no palm oil or refined sugar. A natural source of protein.''

1601191034196.png

1601193677728.png

Bumdiaries.com