VeganDawn

Forum Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Prep time ...Clear your calendar

Ingredients:

Sauce:

1 package Love beets (original organic is what I use)
2 lbs steamed carrots
1-2 cups water for desired thickness of the sauce
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar or Red Wine Vinegar OR Juice of a lemon
A handful of Italian Seasoning (2 tablespoons roughly ) or triple the amount of fresh herbs (basil, oregano, thyme, marjoram etc) More if you or less to your liking.
Optional 1-2 tablespoon of Maple Syrup to taste (I add it you don't have to)
Blend Ingredients slowly adding the water until you reach your desired thickness (blender/immersion blender)

Sauté cup of diced shallots (or 1 large onion...dealers choice...red works) in 1-3 tablespoons of olive oil then when translucent add 4-6 cloves minced/pressed garlic and sauté for a few more minutes. Do not let the garlic burn. Mushrooms are optional add a pack of them before the garlic if you wish. ie. diced white/baby bellas

Combine and stir all of the above into a sauce pan simmer 15-20 minutes and stir set to the side. Salt to Taste -

For the Ricotta:

Rinse out your blender then blend

3 Cups Soaked and Drained Raw Cashews (soaked overnight is best)
Juice of 1 Lemon or 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar ( I prefer Lemon)
1 Cup Almond Milk
1 garlic clove, (variations: a bulb of roasted garlic, few cloves black garlic)
1 teaspoon onion powder
3 tablespoons Italian parsley
optional Black pepper to taste
Optional 1-2 tablespoons nutritional yeast

Slowly add the almond milk blend until it reaches the desired consistency,
Salt To Taste

Chill for a couple of hours in an airtight container for a a couple of hours.

For the Cheeses:

Shred and mix the following:

Vio life Parmesan
Miyoko's Mozzarella or Whole Foods 365 Plant-based Mozzarella or a mix of the two Mozzarellas Or use It Doesn't Taste Like Chicken's Cashew and Tapioca starch mozzarella version. Any of these Mozzarellas work fine.

Sprinkle this with the ricotta layers and to the top of the lasagna.

Optional: For a Meat substitute:
1 package Beyond Sausage "brats" any flavor your choice, cooked and chopped.
Mix with the sauce.

Other options would be TVP or Mushrooms or "crumbles" seasoned with the standard Italian sausage herbs and spices. Whatever you usually use for such dishes is fine.

Your choice of Lasagna Noodles. Boil/No Boil. Wheat or Lentil or Brown Rice.. .your call. My inner fat man likes to add Miyoko's butter and a pinch of salt to the boiling water instead of olive oil. For another layer of flavor.

Follow the typical directions on the package of noodles : layer of sauce on the bottom of the rectangular baking pan then noodle layer, then cheese layer then noodle layer then sauce layer...repeat repeat etc ending with sauce layer on top and generously sprinkled with the mozzarella and parmesan mix.

Cover with foil (shiny side down) then Bake at 400-420 depending on your oven for 50 minutes, then take off the foil and continue baking for more minutes. Remove from the oven and let cool for 20 minutes. Again follow the directions on your package of noodles. For exact time and temperature and pan size.

I always just eye my ingredients but this seems right. If you have extra ricotta or whatever then you got yourself a snack. There maybe potato starch in the cheeses that you choose. Potatoes are nightshade I'm not sure if anyone is sensitive to that stuff. This recipe is mostly about the sauce.

Last edited:
I had to laugh after reading your comment: "Prep time... Clear your calendar"

I can't remember making lasagna, but I know it always takes a lot of time. It's nice to have an option for folks who have a sensitivity to plants in the Nightshade family (although I don't have a problem with tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, etc...) I bet the sauce, cooked by itself, would also make a good tomato-free option for any pasta!

Has anybody tried this yet?

Reactions: VeganDawn
I had to laugh after reading your comment: "Prep time... Clear your calendar"

I can't remember making lasagna, but I know it always takes a lot of time. It's nice to have an option for folks who have a sensitivity to plants in the Nightshade family (although I don't have a problem with tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, etc...) I bet the sauce, cooked by itself, would also make a good tomato-free option for any pasta!

Has anybody tried this yet?
I like my version better than the Nomato brand which cost too much. Like 48 a jar plus $8 shipping per jar etc. Sometimes for a thicker and sweeter sauce i doubled the beets but it has more of the beet taste. Hence the 1 package. I use this sauce for all sorts of pasta dishes and pizza when I wasn't more raw based. I'm not an extremist i will cook something occasionally. This Lasagna was always hit. I'd bring it to work and blow people's minds with it one being a fellow vegan. Boss liked it but he preferred the regular pasta version as opposed to gluten free lasagna. You can always cut it with water or veggie stock for a thinner sauce too. The most annoying part of this recipe isn't the prep time it's the clean up, blender etc. Like all lasagna it freezes and reheats well.

• Informative
Reactions: Tom L.
dang it, should be $8 a jar not 48. was the price in 2013 when i tried it.

Hello!

i have an alternative recipe for the mozzarella cheese. Honestly, here in Germany we dont have any good vegan cheeses, so most of the time i do them myself, and it is not that complicated at all.
My favorite is sunflower seed cheese. Sadly i dont really have a recipe, i just eye ball it.
1 cups of soaked sunflower seeds
3 cups of water
-blend this to make sunflower seed milk, strain with a milkbag. Add 1tablespoon of tapioca starch and (to taste):
nutrional yeast, white miso, salt, lime juice and white pepper.
-cook on medium low heat, stirring al the time, until you get a very cheesy sauce.. it will set up as it cools down, but you can use it right away.
I use this all the time for my lasagna, i even eat it as dip! It is delicious.