US New items at Trader Joe's

I never buy yogurt anymore.
but...
I have a new recipe for overnight oats. Yogurt is an ingredient. So I will buy some at Safeway next week.
There was a member some time back who fermented oats--called it oatgurt!

I do still like Silk soy yogurt, haven't liked other non dairys I've had. Hate Foragers!

Off to TJ's!
They're so easy to call to ask about stock! Soy Beverage in stock!
I may try that Cuban seasoning. I've been a buying spree though and need to cut back. It's between that and the Umani blend which everyone likes. I know my son would prob love the Cuban-I'm afraid of the cumin myself
Will look for the ALmond milk chocolates!

Great shopping trip--I got there five minutes after opening to a line, which moved very quickly! I think they just opened the doors
6 shelf stable soy beverages!!!
2 cruciferous crunch mix
dark pumpernickel bread (has enzymes--vegan? I dont' know )
corn tortillas
2 cans jackfruit
can dolmas
eggplant
garlic and shallots
2 bags non sorbate prunes
frozen shelled edamame, french green beans, brussel sprouts, organic corn, peas, wild boreal blueberries
2 soy chorizo
2 tempeh

Great shopping trip--I got there five minutes after opening to a line, which moved very quickly! I think they just opened the doors
6 shelf stable soy beverages!!!
2 cruciferous crunch mix
dark pumpernickel bread (has enzymes--vegan? I dont' know )
corn tortillas
2 cans jackfruit
can dolmas
eggplant
garlic and shallots
2 bags non sorbate prunes
frozen shelled edamame, french green beans, brussel sprouts, organic corn, peas, wild boreal blueberries
2 soy chorizo
2 tempeh

It all depends on the type of enzyme.

I love TJ's jackfruit btw.

So envious of being able to buy Corn Tortillas!
Flour ones are available everywhere or a corn/wheat blend that they call corn
The blend is from Old elPaso and they’re not very good

It all depends on the type of enzyme.

I love TJ's jackfruit btw.
I know--it didn't specify. It's really good bread. I actually don't avoid things I don't regularly have for things like enzymes, mono or diglycerides, dough conditioners.....

Oh yeah--you guys have those helpful numbers there! We do not. I contacted Aldi about that once and the reply was they could use either, just like asking about the source of sugar 🙄

Forgot to mention the heirloom oranges!
I had them last year and they were what I knew of oranges! I haven't liked oranges since I was a child, but these, to me, are the real deal!
They were $3.99 a bag of ....6 or 8. Really fresh juicy oranges

Reactions: Lou
Just came from Trader Joes--and NO MORE LINE! :jump:. I went before 9 so there weren't many people anyway, and it's a beautiful day so I wouldn't have cared....but still.

Got those baby purple potatoes I've wanted to try
2 bags of cruciferous crunch
1 bag of black kale
garlic and a shallot I'm going to try drying in the oven
2 soy chorizos
5 soy beverages
organic frozen corn, edamame both shelled and in shell
Jumbo raisin blend
raw brazil nuts
a jar or organic bread and butter pickles--used to buy them from Aldi but they've been using corn syrup now
Pumpernickle bread
red lentils
smoked paprika (mostly for my son, I;m not a fan)

They didn't have the broken cashews, only whole, but now Aldi has organic raw cashews, so I may buy them there. I have a recipe for making probiotic cultured parm-like cheese with chickpeas I;m going to try, and hoping I like!
I saw the non dairy cheesecakes but they have coconut milk.

They again tried adding big Vegan labels, but mess up too much. They put one on Trader Joes italian meatless sausage, which still has egg 🙄. I had them take it off

Just came from Trader Joes--and NO MORE LINE! :jump:. I went before 9 so there weren't many people anyway, and it's a beautiful day so I wouldn't have cared....but still.

Got those baby purple potatoes I've wanted to try
2 bags of cruciferous crunch
1 bag of black kale
garlic and a shallot I'm going to try drying in the oven
2 soy chorizos
5 soy beverages
organic frozen corn, edamame both shelled and in shell
Jumbo raisin blend
raw brazil nuts
a jar or organic bread and butter pickles--used to buy them from Aldi but they've been using corn syrup now
Pumpernickle bread
red lentils
smoked paprika (mostly for my son, I;m not a fan)

They didn't have the broken cashews, only whole, but now Aldi has organic raw cashews, so I may buy them there. I have a recipe for making probiotic cultured parm-like cheese with chickpeas I;m going to try, and hoping I like!
I saw the non dairy cheesecakes but they have coconut milk.

They again tried adding big Vegan labels, but mess up too much. They put one on Trader Joes italian meatless sausage, which still has egg 🙄. I had them take it off

I pass by Trader Joe's on my way home from the library. right around lunch time. there used to almost always be a line. But the last two times there wasn't one. They still have no soy milk in the refrigerated sections. I alway buy one or two quart size redipacks - just in case.
TJ's has become the place for pizza dough and mozzarella shreds. I bought a frozen cauliflower crust and it was ok. I'm going to stick with the dough they sell. Its pretty good and its easy.

I pass by Trader Joe's on my way home from the library. right around lunch time. there used to almost always be a line. But the last two times there wasn't one. They still have no soy milk in the refrigerated sections. I alway buy one or two quart size redipacks - just in case.
TJ's has become the place for pizza dough and mozzarella shreds. I bought a frozen cauliflower crust and it was ok. I'm going to stick with the dough they sell. Its pretty good and its easy.
I didn't even notice the fridge section, I only buy the shelf stable, and call before I go.
Which mozz shreds do you get? I haven't tried the new cashew shreds, the cashew cheddar slices were ok though. I didn't like their old vegan mozz shreds at all

I've tried both of the kinds they have at Trader Joes. I think both are Trader Joe brand names. One is cashew. I haven't done a head to head test but as far as I can tell they both work great on pizza. I think the cashew one is a little bit more money.

I may take the 40 minute drive next week and try again if the weather is nice, especially if there are no more lines to get in. This particular TJ’s was sorely lacking in some of the newer items. I was disappointed.

The nearest one to me is in Winter Park, a suburb of Orlando, and is 30 miles away. I haven't been to that area in a very long time! There is also a Whole Foods over there. Winter Park is an affluent area.

I may take the 40 minute drive next week and try again if the weather is nice, especially if there are no more lines to get in. This particular TJ’s was sorely lacking in some of the newer items. I was disappointed.
I've been surprised how easy it is to call before they open to check on stock. I've called as early as 5 am!
It's so hard to find things in those shelves above the chest freezers--all the candies! And finding vegan items in frozen foods!
I keep to my TJ's list, and browse a lot

Some states have passed legislation that only dairy milk can use the wird "milk" in labelling, so that's probably why they're using "beverage" instead.

Those laws of course ignore the fact that people have always referred to the liquid inside coconuts as "milk", the sap of milkweed as "milk" ( not to mention the name of the plant itself), etc.

French cookbooks have recipes going back all the way to the 1300's for almond milk. English cookbooks from the 1500's also refer to almond milk.

I miss Trader Joe's. I moved to Central Wisconsin, and the closest TJ's is 90 minutes away.

Sigh!

• Friendly
Reactions: PTree15
Some states have passed legislation that only dairy milk can use the wird "milk" in labelling, so that's probably why they're using "beverage" instead.
In the United States, some legislation has been proposed to prevent plant milks from being labeled as "milk". However, I don't find evidence that any of this legislation has been approved.

In Oklahoma, anti-plant-milk labeling legislation was proposed in January 2020, but it hasn't moved forward: Bill Information

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration attempted to ban the labeling of plant milks as "milk", but legal courts have rejected this proposed ban: IFT20: Plant-based labeling debate continues

Last edited:

Once everyone is vaccinated could you not do a car pool with neighbours? I'd be concerned about the price of petrol and that seems like quite a drive to do grocery shopping.

• Agree
Reactions: Lou
Once everyone is vaccinated could you not do a car pool with neighbours? I'd be concerned about the price of petrol and that seems like quite a drive to do grocery shopping.
I could but I’m not there yet as far as “making friends”. I need to take baby steps. The two women that I really took to right away will be the ones I can see myself doing stuff with eventually. Our plan is to “have coffee” at one at their homes soon. Then I want to ask them if they want to go to the state park for an hour or two and walk around.
I don’t want to wait too long for TJs so I’ll probably drag husband. Whole Foods is right across the street from there too so I can do both.
You are correct with regard to the cost of petrol. One good thing is, since doing curbside pick up at Stop and Shop every 5-7 days, I earn rewards that I can use for gas. I get anywhere from 50 cents to $1.50 off per gallon! It’s amazing. Since we rarely go anywhere we don’t use a lot of gas anyway. Not that I should be wasting gas on unnecessary trips, of course. I’m just not ready to sit in a car for that long with new people. 🙂

Reactions: shyvas