Health Issues New Eyeglasses

I had the same thing! Everytime I get new glasses! I end up getting them adjusted so that they match up according to my sight rather than how they sit away from my face. I'm due to get new ones though and I have to wonder - maybe I have wonky ears!

I booked to see a senior Optician yesterday as I had only recently had new glasses but was finding it really difficult to drive at night . I

was really concerned that my eye sight was rapidly worsening. I apparently have some bizzare condition in which I have had Macular Degeneration (at a younger age than is normal) but it has gone on to cure itself . Completely unfathomable apparently! My worse fear was that it had returned as I could not account for my increasing inability to focus during night driving. I was really worried and dreading going to the optician.

But..He has looked at my glasses and told me that the nose rester has been warped somehow (they are very flimsy as they are frameless ) and that it is crucial that this is at the right angle to allow you to focus your eyes on the middle range of the glasses. If you are not looking at exactly the right spot the whole vision is distorted.

Touch wood this is problem solved and my vision seemed much improved as I drove home last night. Phew what a relief!!!!

Reactions: KLS52
Wow, I have learnt a lot from this thread. I didn't know that could happen. Sounds crazy to me.

I'm going to book an eye test very soon...it's been over 2 years I believe & I feel like I'm squinting through my current glasses.

Also my contacts are unwearable. For some reason I can't focus through them any more - it takes a while to get focus but as soon as I move my head or blink etc everything's out of focus again.

I went back to the optician and brought both my new and my old glasses. She was able to "reverse engineer" the old glasses and figure out the old prescription. She marked up a copy of my prescription (see attached file). She thinks the problem is in the astigmatism correction (the Cyl column). The old glasses had no astigmatism correction whatsoever.

I guess the next step is to make an appointment with the optometrist and see whether he can adjust the prescription.optician-markup.jpg

I am glad this worked out well for you. :)

giphy.gif
Eh what? Who is there? Who said that?

Reactions: KLS52 and Amy SF
I went back to the optician and brought both my new and my old glasses. She was able to "reverse engineer" the old glasses and figure out the old prescription. She marked up a copy of my prescription (see attached file). She thinks the problem is in the astigmatism correction (the Cyl column). The old glasses had no astigmatism correction whatsoever.

I guess the next step is to make an appointment with the optometrist and see whether he can adjust the prescription.View attachment 5103

Interesting.. I have astigmatism too..or I thought I had and was told I had years ago! Reading this reminded me that no one has mentioned it since!!! Can THAT correct itself too ?

I am bumping this thread, because I just went back to the optometrist, then back to the optician.

Optometrist wrote a new prescription removing the astigmatism correction in the right eye, but leaving it in the left. ("I'd be robbing you of vision if I took that out!" he said.) He also insisted that the glasses were improperly made. They must be "faceformed," that is, wrap around the face in a curve. He said they should rock like a rocking chair when laid on the table.

Go back to the optician. She says she CANNOT "faceform" the glasses if I keep my current frames. The frames are made with "memory metal." They are designed to pop back to their original shape if bent. "I could bend them all day, and it would do no good," she says. She shows me different frames that can be bent. But they are made with nickel, which is fine AS LONG AS IT DOES NOT TOUCH MY SKIN! My current frames are titanium.

She is going to make me new lenses, then pop them into my current (titanium) frames. Should b e ready October 14.

I never dreamed that it would be this complicated getting new glasses.

I never dreamed that it would be this complicated getting new glasses.

Oh no! It is all so complicated isnt it ?? Hope you finally get a pair that suit .:D

I am now in possession of my reading/screen work glasses and my driving glasses, both of which appeared wonderful at the outset but are proving less effective as time goes on.

Also, They are very delicate frames( which is what I wanted ) but this means that they are so flimsy that even laying them down incorrectly causes the frame to twist. As a consequence I have been back to the optician twice to have them snapped back into shape.

Sadly..I wish I had not been so mean and had invested the money and time into having varifocals.:(

I'm quite near-sighted, and have been wearing glasses since I was 8. And yes, I think that's correct, the frames are supposed to be a little bit curved. I suppose our eyes are not focused straight forward, but a little bit to the sides? So then it makes sense that the lenses in glasses would also do that. I don't know about nickel in frames ... My glasses were pretty expensive, so I'm guessing/hoping they didn't use any such unhealthy materials.

I finally got my new lenses today, the ones based on the revised prescription. They were put in the frames I had been wearing for the last few weeks, i.e., the titanium frames. I am not saying there is no distortion with the new lenses, but it is way, way, reduced. The table in front of me no longer looks like if I put a cup of coffee on it, it would slide down and spill on the floor.

I am still trying these new lenses out. More later if anything is worth reporting. Thanks to everyone who advised me to go back to the optometrist and get the prescription adjusted. :)

Reactions: Amy SF and KLS52
I went back to the optician today, after having trouble with the frames.

I had been just hanging my glasses from a hook using the eyeglass cord. I was told this is very bad for the frames. When you take off your glasses, you should fold them up and lay them flat.

She took the glasses back into her workroom and bent them back into shape. She said she has no special tool to do this except a pair of padded pliers.

I went back to the optician today. One of my lenses popped out of the frames. Optician said one of the screws was missing. I guess I nees to put clear nail polish on the screws. She said not to put it on the heads of the screws, just the other end.

I went back to the optician yet again today, because one of my lenses had popped out yet again. Second time this month.
This time the screws were intact. Optician put some sort of liner in the frame to help prevent future popping.

She did say that because my frames and lenses are larger than what is now average, it is easier for lenses to pop out. She also said that taking my glasses off and putting them on frequently increases the strain on the frames and promotes "popping."

I just got new glasses last month. I use an optician on my insurance plan and I feel like they are not very good at what they do. I finally made an appointment with my eye doctor to get a full exam. I'm going to have him check my new prescription because I cannot see well with my new glasses at all.

I've been having focusing issues for the last few years. I've been attributing it to the aging process but I'm beginning to wonder if that's really the problem. I'm glad my appointment is tomorrow.

I went back to the optician yet again today, because one of my lenses had popped out yet again. Second time this month.
This time the screws were intact. Optician put some sort of liner in the frame to help prevent future popping.

She did say that because my frames and lenses are larger than what is now average, it is easier for lenses to pop out. She also said that taking my glasses off and putting them on frequently increases the strain on the frames and promotes "popping."

I say that is nonsense. It seems that the quality of the frames aren't up to standard.

Reactions: Amy SF and ledboots