TV & Film Movie Lounge

Yesterday I watched a Dog Named Christmas. I had forgotten how good it was.
Today was the Christmas Shepherd. Also very good but the first half was very emotional. šŸ˜­

I don't usually like most of the Christmas films but the Christmas Shepherd is one that I really like. Agree about how
heart wrenching some of the storyline is; especially when the dog is taken back by the original (mum) owner.

I started watching Cold Mountain. I couldn't remember why I had avoided it back in the day. but I was shortly reminded - it is f-ing brutal.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I got a new computer last week and I've been spending a little time each day in cleaning out old files.

Found a copy of a movie from a long time ago - and started it around lunch time and ended up watching the whole thing.

It's called Swing Girls. I'm pretty sure I've seen it dubbed in English. But the copy I had was with poorly written English subtitles.

Anyway, I think I enjoyed it more the second time around. Oh and the rural Japanese scenery was great

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC
I don't usually like most of the Christmas films but the Christmas Shepherd is one that I really like. Agree about how
heart wrenching some of the storyline is; especially when the dog is taken back by the original (mum) owner.
I think I found it more upsetting that she didnā€™t take the dog back right awayā€¦the despair she was feeling when she was searching for him with no luck, only to finally find him and not being able to take him right away. I thought she was more than gracious/compassionate to the young girl who was going through her own loss. But stillā€¦I canā€™t imagine having to leave my dog with the dad and daughterā€¦itā€™s not like they didnā€™t know the dog belonged to the mom/mum. I struggled with that part of it. But such a nice ending, as if we didnā€™t know that would happen, being Hallmark, lol. šŸ˜

I think I found it more upsetting that she didnā€™t take the dog back right awayā€¦the despair she was feeling when she was searching for him with no luck, only to finally find him and not being able to take him right away. I thought she was more than gracious/compassionate to the young girl who was going through her own loss. But stillā€¦I canā€™t imagine having to leave my dog with the dad and daughterā€¦itā€™s not like they didnā€™t know the dog belonged to the mom/mum. I struggled with that part of it. But such a nice ending, as if we didnā€™t know that would happen, being Hallmark, lol. šŸ˜

You are right about the fact that she let the girl keep her pet. It didn't seem logical as he did belong to her. Well, it's a HM film so the
ending was predictable. :cool::D Never happens IRL! :laughing:

• Agree
Reactions: KLS52
I have watched a couple of classic older films again recently. The Fugitive and then I started watching In The Line of Fire last night. I am going to watch the end of that when I get back from my walk this morning.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
I finally watched The King's Man (I had borrowed the DVD from a friend ages ago). It was OK. I do love Ralph Fiennes, and he was his usual great self.

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
The Estate-which is a dark comedy and frankly a waste of time. Moreover, some of the scenes are vile:

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and Lou
Hello, good people here on the forum ... had not looked here for some time.

Saw two good movies starring Christian Bale recently:

"The Pale Blue Eye" on Netflix, which is a Detective story set at Westpoint 1863, with Harry Melling, who I also enjoy a lot, and

"Amsterdam" on Disney Plus, which I liked a lot.
Lots of fine performances by great actors, and a very interesting story, based on true events.
Was very surprised that I had not heard more about this movie before, and also that it did not do well at the box office.
(I understand that one reason that movie did not do well was that not much marketing was done for it, and that there was a controversy surrounding the director, which I only learned about when I researched the movie after watching it)

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and Emma JC
Hello, good people here on the forum ... had not looked here for some time.

Saw two good movies starring Christian Bale recently:

"The Pale Blue Eye" on Netflix, which is a Detective story set at Westpoint 1863, with Harry Melling, who I also enjoy a lot

"Amsterdam" on Disney, which I liked a lot. Lots of fine performances by great actors, and a very interesting story, based on true events.
Was very surprised that I had not heard more about this movie before, and also that it did not do well at the box office.
do you recommend pale blue eye?

last night we watched Dog Gone - it was very good and compared to many recent movies at least made me "feel" something - there are many good movies but without emotions engaged it is just pixels on the screen and a story

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: Lou