TV & Film Movie Lounge

I thought the main young actress looked uncannily like Alyssa Milano when she had her hair cut short.
Oh. I was talking about the first one.
I wasn't planning on watching the second.
Maybe now I will
I just checked the IMDB page for the sequel. Yes, more pretty witches.
At least one of the cast members are the same.

Before We Go

I can't decide if I can recommend this movie. I even checked what the movie reviewers said and it defiantly fits into the description of To Mixed Reviews.
Roger Ebert gave it a 1.5 stars, Rotten Tomatoes gave it 29/57, and IMDB ranks it as a 6.8

The movie, depending on your point of view is either a pale imitation or a homage to Richard Linklater's Before trilogy. I was a huge fan of those movies and I think some of my appreciation of those movies has influenced how I feel, both positively and negatively, about this movie.

on the negative side the movie is slow moving at times. The actors aren't as appealing as the ones in Linklater's movies. It might be besides the point I thought the soundtrack actually hurt the movie. A lot of the background music is sort of amorphous and sleepy.

On the positive side, since it's doubtful we will get another Before movie from Linklater, maybe this can be sort of a place holder. Like it's not a great pizza but it's still pizza. It's also a good movie for making you think. Maybe not a good choice for a first date but could be a good choice for after a few dates. You know how book club books sometimes have discussion questions in the back. This movie should have discussion questions. But if you and your date are having coffee afterwards you may not even need to come up with any provocative discussion questions. Just trying to parse the ending should take a half hour.

Finally got around to watching this last night ($.99 on Apple) - it was okay, not amazing but an interesting premise... kind of felt like I would have seen a bit more but I guess leaving up in the air allows you to draw your own conclusion.

Emma JC
Find your vegan soulmate or just a friend. www.spiritualmatchmaking.com

Reactions: HappyRoxy
Finally got around to watching this last night ($.99 on Apple) - it was okay, not amazing but an interesting premise... kind of felt like I would have seen a bit more but I guess leaving up in the air allows you to draw your own conclusion.

Emma JC
Have you seen the Linklater Before trilogy? If not, run, don't walk, to the library and check out all three. But you have to watch them in order. This movie was definitely a homage (or a ripoff) of those movies.

The ending probably was left as it was in order to prompt a discussion.
like this one.

But there were many other good things to discuss. Like the telephone question.

A good first date movie - and a good movie to discuss when you are getting to know someone. I think the premise of the movie allowed the characters to talk honestly and truthfully and then allowed them space for introspection, analysis, challenges and growth.

started watching RRR on Netflix last night - it is interesting and entertaining - got halfway through (it is 3 hours) and will watch the rest tonight - a movie from India - in dubbed in English so no subtitles

Emma JC

Yeah, I watched that some time ago, found it quite funny - I mean, it's an Indian superhero movie where they took two real characters from India's history and interpreted them with superpowers like Batman, and (of course!) a number of songs, without which no Indian movie would be complete.

As I said, I found it quite entertaining, but to hear that many people are disappointed it did not get nominated for an Oscar was ... amusing for me.

I watched Horse Girl on Netflix. The movie got mixed reviews but for the most part I liked it. But I'm a fan of Allison Brie (Community) so maybe I'm biased. It's about mental illness but told from a different perspective. Some interesting cinematography too,

• Informative
Reactions: Emma JC and PTree15
Shotgun Wedding - with J Lo and Josh Dumamel and bunch of others - it was tolerable and entertaining and cheezy etc

Emma JC
I keep seeing that advertised.

I watched White House Down for about the 10th time last night as I recorded it on TV.

Reactions: Andy_T and Emma JC
I also rewatched a movie. Spider-Man, No Way Home. Although it's a new movie, it was amazing how much I forgot in just two years. I guess one of the advantage of going senile is everything is new again.

Anyway totally enjoyable

Reactions: Raven
Wow, thank you for mentioning White House Down - we had never watched it and did so last night on Netflix - amazing, loved it!!

Emma JC
I'm watching Olympus has Fallen tonight. It is basically the same as White House Down so you might like that too. They came out at almost the same time.:)

Reactions: Emma JC