1 medium sized cauliflower cut into florets
100 g millet
1 onion, chopped
salt & pepper
1 pinch of grated
nutmeg
3 tbs of plant based cream
1 knob of plant based spread or oil.

Steam the cauliflower and onion until the cauliflower starts to break apart.
Wash the millet and place in a saucepan of salted water. Simmer for approx 15 -18 mins.

Mash the vegetables with a steel hand masher or in a FP. Drain the millet and add to the mashed
cauliflower. Add the knob of spsread, cream, nutmeg and pepper. Adjust the
seasoning with some salt if needed. If the mash is too thick, add extra non dairy milk
or cream.
Tip : Millet is one of the most digestible grains and is quite versatile and easy to prepare.
To add more flavour to the millet, you can cook it in vegetable stock.
k6611020.jpg

Last edited:
A younger sibling used to love to eat millet. I think more people would love it if they tried it, especially like this!

I lived with some birds who loved millet, to the point of dive bombing people for it. Birds are smart, so it's something that I should probably try as well.

How do you think this would taste without the onion? I'm a little anti-onion, but the recipe sounds great to me otherwise.

I lived with some birds who loved millet, to the point of dive bombing people for it. Birds are smart, so it's something that I should probably try as well.

How do you think this would taste without the onion? I'm a little anti-onion, but the recipe sounds great to me otherwise.
I should clear up that you don't want to cook up the millet you buy as bird seed. That still has the pearly and very hard husk on it, which I believe at least some of the birds can cleverly dispose of with their excellently made bills, or maybe their digestive systems can handle it???

Anyway . . . You and I need to go online or to a healthfood store and buy the millet that is already husked and intended for our (human) consumption.

Alone, it has a very mild taste, even to the point of being boring, but sometimes boring is just what a person wants! And you can dress it up any way you like, as you would with rice, etc.-- with onion or any other way. And like rice, you can cook it mushy or cook it fluffy, depending on your cooking skill and your taste preferences.

Last edited: