News Malaysian Plane Shot Down

How horrible. :(
I wonder why they were flying over a war zone though?

I also wonder how you can fail to distinguish between a passenger jet and a war plane.

How horrible. :(
I wonder why they were flying over a war zone though?

I also wonder how you can fail to distinguish between a passenger jet and a war plane.

This is one of the questions that was asked by a journalist to an aviation expert. It would seem that it a more direct flight path, hence saves money.

However, they also checked various flight tracking sites and it was found that various airplanes such as Thai and Air France were actually flying over easter Ukraine at this present time.

Any truth to Russia shooting down a Ukraine military plane on Wednesday so this may be retaliation? :( Just awful.

Quite a few passenger airlines fly over the East of Ukraine, I think probably 7 airlines use that space. I dont know why they would considering the risks though.

It is only speculation at this point. It is hard to see who has the motive. On one hand, the rebel fighters could have shot at the plane as they thought it was an enemy plane.

But the Kiev Government forces also have a motive: Apparently Putin's presidential jet looks very similar in colouring to Air Malaysia planes (see picture).

So at this stage it could be either of them.

33.jpg

One thing I find strange: Apparently the plane, a Boeing 777, took its first flight on July 17th, 1997. The crash was July 17th, 2014, and it flew for exactly 17 years to the very day. The flight was named MH17.

Also, it is almost 100 years from the date World War I started (July 28th 1914).

But the Kiev Government forces also have a motive: Apparently Putin's presidential jet looks very similar in colouring to Air Malaysia planes (see picture).

I'm calling BS on this one. Not only was this reported in Russia Today (which makes one long for the factual accuracy of Pravda), but Kiev should know damn well where Putin is, and where his plane is.

Also, the separatists reported shooting down a "Ukrainian" military plane in the same region shortly before this news story hit. Turns out that the Ukrainians aren't missing a plane at that time. The separatists f---ed up, big time.

Reactions: Second Summer
Where is the article where separatists reported shooting down a plane? I want to see it.

On Wednesday evening, a Ukrainian fighter jet was shot down by an air-to-air missile from a Russian plane, Ukrainian authorities said Thursday, adding to what Kiev says is mounting evidence that Moscow is directly supporting the separatist insurgents in eastern Ukraine. Security Council spokesman Andrei Lysenko said the pilot of the Sukhoi-25 jet hit by the air-to-air missile was forced to bail after his jet was shot down.

Pro-Russia rebels, meanwhile, claimed responsibility for strikes Wednesday on two Ukrainian Sukhoi-25 jets. The Ukrainian Defense Ministry said the second jet was hit by a portable surface-to-air missile, but added the pilot was unscathed and managed to land his plane safely.

Missile fired at Malaysian plane: US intelligence

Is this what you are talking about? They shot the planes with plane and backpack missiles. But I am seeing on news here that it is being said that this passenger plane was shot by a large ground missile. Not a plane missile, or backpack missile as in these 2 cases.

At any rate I am getting tired of all these wars and I wish it would all stop, anyway.

It seems obvious the plane was misidentified as an enemy aircraft and shot down by mistake. And I agree with das_nut that the idea that Ukrainian government forces shot down the plane believing it was the Russian presidential plane seems rather unlikely. That seems more like part of a desperate cover-up attempt. The most likely scenario is that it was shot down by rebels who are supported and equipped by Russia. Unfortunately, it seems they haven't been given proper training.

Also, let's face it: The Ukrainian government / military obviously has air control systems and know about passenger jets flying over their territory. The rebels on the other hand do not.

Oh, and BTW: Big show-down tonight in the UN Security Council.

Where is the article where separatists reported shooting down a plane? I want to see it.

So does the news reporter on Radio 4.

He was told during an interview this morning that there is a whole trail of evidence to confirm this..strangely the information was not on hand at the interview but links could be provided . :rolleyes:

Reactions: Freesia

He was told during an interview this morning that there is a whole trail of evidence to confirm this..strangely the information was not on hand at the interview but links could be provided . :rolleyes:
»For helvede - vi har skudt et fly ned« - Globalt | www.b.dk (Berlingske Tidende (Danish))
Audio of Intercepted Calls of Separatists - Video - NYTimes.com (NY Times)

In addition one of the separatist leaders was bragging on VKontakte they had shot down a plane, but the post was quickly deleted.
Ukraine Separatist Social Media Site Claims Plane Downing (Radio Free Europe)

Missile fired at Malaysian plane: US intelligence

Is this what you are talking about? They shot the planes with plane and backpack missiles. But I am seeing on news here that it is being said that this passenger plane was shot by a large ground missile. Not a plane missile, or backpack missile as in these 2 cases.

At any rate I am getting tired of all these wars and I wish it would all stop, anyway.

The separatists claim to have captured a Buk missile system. This could be true, since there's enough of them in the region. It could also be a CYA move to hide Russian military assistance (specifically covertly supplying weapons & equipment), since there seems to be some of that in the region as well.

Either way, Ukrainian forces have lost an Su-25 and an An-26 recently during the war to enemy fire. It looks like the rebels thought the 777 was another An-26.

It seems obvious the plane was misidentified as an enemy aircraft and shot down by mistake. And I agree with das_nut that the idea that Ukrainian government forces shot down the plane believing it was the Russian presidential plane seems rather unlikely. That seems more like part of a desperate cover-up attempt. The most likely scenario is that it was shot down by rebels who are supported and equipped by Russia. Unfortunately, it seems they haven't been given proper training.

But Russia may not have given them any of the equipment capable of doing it. I read that if they did do it, it could have been from from weaponry stolen from the Ukraine militia. And there is still no proof of who did it, though everyone is jumping to wild conclusions already.

Last edited:
The separatists claim to have captured a Buk missile system. This could be true, since there's enough of them in the region. It could also be a CYA move to hide Russian military assistance (specifically covertly supplying weapons & equipment), since there seems to be some of that in the region as well.

Either way, Ukrainian forces have lost an Su-25 and an An-26 recently during the war to enemy fire. It looks like the rebels thought the 777 was another An-26.

That confuses me in itself as An-26s look nothing like Boeing 777s.

Antonov An-26 ukraine - Google Search

Some of them are bright green, or painted in army colours, though there are the odd one that is white... but they have huge propellors and are clunky looking things. So I will not decide who has done this unless i see concrete evidence.

Right now it is just a propaganda war, and nobody should be deciding anything until we know more.