Lower belly fat/bloating?

sophieVmeehan

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
  2. Vegan newbie
Hi! Need help!
Iv been vegan a year now and iv gained lower belly fat/bloating ever since not sure which one it actually is? Really struggling to get rid of this.. i hit the gym hard too? :/ x

I am not a trainer or even remotely qualified to answer this, but in my humble opinion, I think belly fat and bloating might be two separate issues. Belly fat really depends on the individual's BMI, age, gender, calorie intake, exercise program, etc.

Bloating could be as simple as not rinsing your beans properly. It's really hard to give any advice on bloating without knowing what you eat in detail. Also how much you eat (daily calories) and the quality of those calories, fat ratio, oil content, sugars, salts, processed foods, everything. There's also a chance you have a food intolerance, even. You could always try eliminating certain foods in your diet to see if one specific thing is causing the bloating.

If you're training and trying to get rid of that last bit of tummy fat, you will need to clamp down on your diet, no question. There's a few vegan YouTuber's that train/bodybuild. I'd have a look and see what they're doing.

Hi! Need help!
Iv been vegan a year now and iv gained lower belly fat/bloating ever since not sure which one it actually is? Really struggling to get rid of this.. i hit the gym hard too? :confused: x
Hello sophieVmeehan the problem you face is generally of your diet consumption as veganite already introduced you about belly fat and bloating. As i hit the gym daily so, i can understand this situation and like to share my opinion.
First of all, have a look at your daily diet plan how much you consuming what you consuming and when you consuming.
your diet must be free from excessive oil, sugar, and salt. focus on protein intake according to your body type i.e.
according to your weight and height and what your future goal of gaining or /losing weight. cut down fat and also focus calorie required by your body.
and if you having a bloating problem which is generally due to your unhealthy eating habits sometimes it is painful, and if it is your belly fat, is because of an excess of carbs in your diet.

Reactions: Rebecca68
Trying to burn belly fats in less time, first, start taking healthy diet to get supercharged while burning out bad fats from the body and than take weight loss supplements which is now available in oral shots. I heard B12 helps in cutting down fats from the body.

I wasn't going to answer this question because Veganite gave such a great answer. And then Jenedra gave an excellent answer, too. But Marrie gave such a bad answer that I decided to add my 2¢ just to make sure you took away from the forum the right stuff.

You can tell belly fat from bloating. Bloating is actually uncomfortable, maybe even painful. it changes not only from day to day but almost hour to hour. If you used a tape measure you could detect a difference from when it is worse to when it is better.

Belly fat just sits there. It doesn't hurt. it doesn't change. (well not day to day)

I'm under the impression that bloating is the Number One complaint of new vegans. If you have been vegan for a year this should not be an issue. If it is, you are doing something wrong. Or there is something wrong with you.* if you come back and tell us you are sure it's bloating we should have some more good suggestions. Veganite already gave you one - soaking and rinsing beans.

Lower belly fat may not be like the rest of your body's fat. Fat works different on women than men so I may not have all the correct details. But a beer belly on a man indicates visceral fat. Visceral fat surrounds a person's organs. The other kind of fat - epithelial fat lays right under the skin. And can be measured. You can do this yourself with just a pinch test. Or you can get one of the trainers at the gym to get out the calipers and check it out more carefully.

I think for females the stubborn place for fat is the thigh and butt. For men, it is the waist. So I know (first hand even) that a man's epithelial fat sometimes disguises visceral fat.

Besides visceral fat being un-attractive it is also unhealthy. It has been associated with a number of diseases.

I think it would be odd for a vegan to first develop visceral fat. A healthy vegan diet is a pretty good way to avoid or even reduce visceral fat. But if you have a low body fat percentage you just might be more aware of it.

Anyway, there are really no special tricks to losing visceral fat. You need a calorie deficit diet and exercise. Some researches thing that long slow workouts are better than a short high intense workout - but I think that is still debatable. A high fiber diet seems to help. Oh. and not smoking and drinking helps a lot. but i assume you have that covered.

*Veganite's suggestion of a food intolerance seems possible but not that likely - but not to be dismissed out of hand - as a vegan you may have introduced a food into your diet that you never ate before that you have a sensitivity to. Soy sensitivity is well documented. And you don't even have to be born with it. It can develop in people who eat a lot of soy. Research seems to indicate that soy sensitivity is more common with people who eat GMO soy. There is also a lot of gluten sensitivity going around. In one medical study they found that a lot of people have gluten sensitivity and did not know it. They also found that a lot of people who thought they had it - didn't. A visit to the doctor should result in an allergy screening which could rule this out.

Reactions: Emma JC
Based on my avatar, you might be surprised to learn that I might occasionally have problems in the bloating department. Nevertheless, I am a bloating expert.

There are two types of bloating.

Type 01: Water retention.
This could be a phase of the moon type thing for gals.
It could also be heat for guys and gals.
It could also be salt intake for guys and gals.

Type 02: The fart or belch wont come out.
Beno is my friend to prevent gas.
Simethicone gets the gas out once it is in there. But, watch out for the farts of the loud and proud variety.

Hi! Need help!
Iv been vegan a year now and iv gained lower belly fat/bloating ever since not sure which one it actually is? Really struggling to get rid of this.. i hit the gym hard too? :/ x
Not sure if anyone has been able to help you out, the bloating is from the FODMAPS in a lot of plant based foods. For this very reason I can't eat a lot of beans, garlic, beets. Check out the FODMAPS diet and see what foods on it you are eating most, you are typically supposed to do an elimination diet with it. Unfortunately veganism isn't for everyone but you can do your best to make your diet as plant based as possible if you have to eliminate some vegan foods on the FODMAPS list

Not sure if anyone has been able to help you out, the bloating is from the FODMAPS in a lot of plant based foods. For this very reason I can't eat a lot of beans, garlic, beets. Check out the FODMAPS diet and see what foods on it you are eating most, you are typically supposed to do an elimination diet with it. Unfortunately veganism isn't for everyone but you can do your best to make your diet as plant based as possible if you have to eliminate some vegan foods on the FODMAPS list
I am assuming you mean bloating as in gas here, not bloating in appearance