Looking at starting a business selling crafts

rainforests1

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I'm looking at starting a business. There should be enough demand to make a decent income with this product, and something relatively simple to make. Any ideas?

How about a catch-and-release device for removing spiders and other bugs from your house without killing them? It should be small and simple enough that you can have it sitting on your shelves without taking up much space, so you can have it handy if the little 8-legged, 1000-eyed monsters should turn up.

How about a catch-and-release device for removing spiders and other bugs from your house without killing them? It should be small and simple enough that you can have it sitting on your shelves without taking up much space, so you can have it handy if the little 8-legged, 1000-eyed monsters should turn up.
Do they sell well? I have a hard time imagining them being popular at craft shows.

I'm looking at starting a business. There should be enough demand to make a decent income with this product, and something relatively simple to make. Any ideas?

Do you actually do any crafts now? That would be the place to start, with something you already know and enjoy doing.

The most you could probably hope for is to supplement your income, not to make a living from it. There are a lot of talented people out there, and not many people willing to pay premium prices.

Do you actually do any crafts now? That would be the place to start, with something you already know and enjoy doing.

The most you could probably hope for is to supplement your income, not to make a living from it. There are a lot of talented people out there, and not many people willing to pay premium prices.
I've had very limited experience with crafts in my life. An article I read says more than 30% of people who sell crafts use crafts as their only income if I recall correctly. It is possible. I know I won't get rich off of it.

I have a decent amount of experience with crafts. I think it's similar to other skills, in a lot of ways. Like saying, 'if I wanted to become a musician, what instrument should I choose to make that a career?' There is some skill involved, and a lot of chance, and how flooded the market is.

I'll be honest and say that I would rather buy crafts from someone that is very passionate about what they are creating instead of just being in it for the money. Crafts are work of art and when someone pours their heart and soul into their work it really shows.

There is some skill involved, and a lot of chance, and how flooded the market is.

I agree, I think it also depends on your plan, where you want to sell (online, in your own store, at fayres and markets, etc) and who you are aiming your product at. Sometimes a really good idea is important too - in my local area there are quite a few independant stores that are doing really well because of original ideas - a chocolate shop that also has a tea room and holds knitting/book clubs and chocolate tasting parties, a bead store that sells handmade beaded jewelry as well as beads and bits to make your own, health food stores with delivery boxes of their produce, wool/yarn and fabric stores with knitting clubs/advice.

I know that being quite into crafts myself, they cost a lot more money than you'd think. Some things like knitted blankets/quilts, handmade PJs, handmade clothes, homemade dish cloths and tea towels... they aren't cheaper than what you can buy in a highstreet store, not including the time spent making them. In the case of the blankets, I could have actually bought a good quality one for the same price because that amount of fabric/yarn is expensive. I do save money on making bags, purses, pencil cases, some (not beaded) jewellery/accessories, tablecloths, place mats, hamdmade cards and gift wrap/tags.

I've had very limited experience with crafts in my life. An article I read says more than 30% of people who sell crafts use crafts as their only income if I recall correctly. It is possible. I know I won't get rich off of it.
As Kazyqueen pointed out, the people who are successful start out with having a skill or talent, and put their hearts and souls into developing that skill and talent.

Someone who decides to make a living at crafts, without having had any experience or interest other than when they suddenly decide that it sounds like an O.K. way to make a living, have about a zero chance of making it work. I mean, you don't even have an idea, you're asking people on the internet for an idea.

But rather than arguing online that it's doable, just go out and do it. That's how you prove yourself right.

We'll take pro athletes as an example. Many of them aren't passionate about their business, but still successful. Why would crafts be any different? You can't tell which people are passionate about crafts with 100% accuracy. I have looked into doing crafts from home for other companies(and still am) so it is something I think I could be good at and possibly successful with. In order to eat and pay rent among other things you have to make money, so there's nothing wrong with that.

We'll take pro athletes as an example. Many of them aren't passionate about their business, but still successful. Why would crafts be any different? You can't tell which people are passionate about crafts with 100% accuracy. I have looked into doing crafts from home for other companies(and still am) so it is something I think I could be good at and possibly successful with. In order to eat and pay rent among other things you have to make money, so there's nothing wrong with that.

Have you run the numbers to figure out approximately how much crafty stuff you'd need to sell each month to pay for food, rent and all the craft supplies you'll need. Then sit down and see if there are enough hours in the day to make, market and sell all the stuff? Honestly one would probably make more money working at a minimum wage job.

Do you know the ratio of people who want to be a pro athlete vs those who actually are? How many people play ball (or whatever) even on the college level but don't make it as a career? And then there are those that did it in highschool but don't make it in college. It's a constant filtering out system. To say that they don't have passion is ludicrous. They have to be super dedicated and work extremely hard to make it. It's not something you can just decide to do.

I can't believe I just defended pro athletics.

Anyway, it sounds like you just want to make an easy buck. Making it in the craft world is not your ticket. You have to have a product, for one, and it has to be something you can do well. The market is saturated. Everybody and their mother is trying to sell things on Etsy, etc. You'd have come up with something fresh and creative, you'd have to spend time and money on marketing and getting ourself out there. You'd have to have the dedication to get yourself to work - keeping your own schedule is harder than you think, even non-procrastinators find themselves putting things off. It's not like you can slap some glue on some construction paper and watch the cash flow in. It's really difficult.

Here's what I think:

Instead of making and selling something crafty, how about a baking business? You can make some vegan baked goods and start out selling them at yard sales or flea markets or whatever, and then go from there if you have a lot of positive feedback. I suspect vegan baked goods is a product area that is poised for more mass appeal at this moment in time. Not only do they appeal to vegans but also to those who are lactose intolerant or who want to avoid products with egg ingredients. Also, if you have access to a HFS, you can find vegan baked goods there, but it's like any kind of store-bought baked goods. Sometimes they just have that sort of stale-sitting-on-the-shelf-for-several-days kind of ickiness about them. Your selling point would be fresh-baked goods with fresh ingredients.

Here's what I think:

Instead of making and selling something crafty, how about a baking business? You can make some vegan baked goods and start out selling them at yard sales or flea markets or whatever, and then go from there if you have a lot of positive feedback. I suspect vegan baked goods is a product area that is poised for more mass appeal at this moment in time. Not only do they appeal to vegans but also to those who are lactose intolerant or who want to avoid products with egg ingredients. Also, if you have access to a HFS, you can find vegan baked goods there, but it's like any kind of store-bought baked goods. Sometimes they just have that sort of stale-sitting-on-the-shelf-for-several-days kind of ickiness about them. Your selling point would be fresh-baked goods with fresh ingredients.

Being a wet blanket again. :p

Something like that would be fine for a hobby and sell the stuff at a farmers market, but as far as a money making venture to support yourself I don't see how with the limitations of a home kitchen, no way one could produce the volume needed nor address the freshness factor. Certainly easy to get into to test the waters w/o a lot of drawbacks though, can always expand if warranted.

Instead of trying to convince us all about how easy it is, just go out and do it and prove how easy it is.

I dare you to.