"Lettered" T-Shirt Forum

5373132abc6e81bb96f2da6625c19936.jpg

[Couldn't get the quote thingy to work right. The above pic was posted by MadamSarcastra.]
This is definitely you, MadamSarcastra.

I found one like this and was going to post it, but you beat me to it.

classy-LB2171LT.jpg
I like this one a little better, because it is feminine pink, and thus I think more suited to you. :)

Wearing my shirt with the Oscar Wilde quote (no pic)....

LOOKING GOOD AND
DRESSING WELL ARE
ESSENTIAL.
A PURPOSE IN LIFE
IS NOT.

And no, the irony does not escape me that they chose to put this design on something so elegant as, say.... a T-SHIRT. o_O

I've found a few T-shirts with Oscar Wilde quotes on them. But I've found more non-T-shirt stuff with his quotes on them, like plaques, coasters, etc.

One quote I have not found printed on a T-shirt nor other object is one of my favorites:

WORK IS THE CURSE OF THE DRINKING CLASS.

I have a few cool, quippy shirts I can't find anywhere online.... like my old Shaw Festival T-shirt:

I am perfectly
well aware
that my income has
no reference whatsoever
to my merit.

- G. Bernard Shaw
I really need to add a Dorothy Parker T to my collection, too. LOL ;)

Also have a T-shirt I won at a theatre conference (think it was W.A.C.T.... heehee, that's the Wisconsin Association of Community Theatre).... The front looks like it has a name tag - "Hi, my name is:____" and the back has comedy/tragedy masks and says: FRUSTRATED THESPIANS --- A drinking group with a theatre problem

5373132abc6e81bb96f2da6625c19936.jpg

[Couldn't get the quote thingy to work right. The above pic was posted by MadamSarcastra.]
This is definitely you, MadamSarcastra.

I found one like this and was going to post it, but you beat me to it.

View attachment 8935
I like this one a little better, because it is feminine pink, and thus I think more suited to you. :)
That looks red to me, man..... and I don't like pink. Yick. Pfffft, feminine.... :rolleyes:

I've seen a few. On one was written: "Attempting To Care- please stand by..." with a picture of that rotating icon that displays on your screen when your computer is doing something while you wait.

Another one, less sarcastic, had

"Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh
Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh Duh " with a sort of "Batman" bat symbol picture between the two lines.

That looks red to me, man..... and I don't like pink. Yick. Pfffft, feminine.... :rolleyes:

I confess to being partially color blind. (No kidding. I can never be an interior decorator! Boo-hoo.)I also admit to being influenced by the accompanying text, which called it a "Ladies T-shirt" and "The perfect shirt for the bright and bold, loud and proud gals you know. 100% cotton, missy-fit T-shirt, ..."

Oh, here's some more Shaw.... I can't resist, I love him so. LOL :D
421ee46e96466a9f79652ff49cfdeec8.jpg

There are (for me) a couple of confusing things about this quote.

First, I guess I am more familiar with the version quoted or paraphrased (or altered) by Robert F. Kennedy and then Edward Kennedy.

Second, these words actually come from a play by Shaw and they are spoken by a character called the Serpent, i.e., the Devil. So, are they something Shaw really believed? Or something he just believed the Devil might say?

Misattributed
There are those that look at things the way they are, and ask why? I dream of things that never were, and ask why not? Though Kennedy stated that he was quoting George Bernard Shaw when he said this, he is often thought to have originated the expression, which actually paraphrases a line delivered by the Serpent in Shaw's play Back To Methuselah: “You see things; and you say, ‘Why?’ But I dream things that never were; and I say, ‘Why not?’". This phrase was first used by his brother John F. Kennedy in 1963 (June 28th), during his visit to Ireland, in his address to the Irish Dail (Government): "George Bernard Shaw, speaking as an Irishman, summed up an approach to life, 'Other people, he said, see things and say why? But I dream things that never were and I say, why not?" (Address on YouTube). Robert's other brother Edward famously quoted it (paraphrasing it even further), to conclude his eulogy to his late brother after his assassination (8 June 1968): Some men see things as they are and say why? I dream things that never were and say why not? - (Eulogy in CBS news video).

Robert F. Kennedy - Wikiquote

Lots of quotes I love... but hard to confirm the source.... I suppose, over time, everything gets jumbled or paraphrased.... Dorothy Parker, G.B. Shaw, Mark Twain, Winston Churchill, Eleanor Roosevelt, Oscar Wilde, Groucho Marx, et al....

Hey, it's the thought that counts, right? ;) (and who first said THAT, I wonder? LOL)

So, in closing....
preview_t-shirt.png
:smile:

Speaking of Dorothy Parker:

Dorothy Parker - Wikiquote
Trust me on this, at the very least.... I am VERY well-versed in Dorothy Parker quotes. If I could "do lunch" with anyone, it would be The Algonquin Round Table (a/k/a The Vicious Circle) :master: What a wicked wonderland of wit, word-play, & wise-asses.... wowzers. :D

6010-heathered_gray_nl-z1-t-the-first-thing-i-do-in-the-morning-is-brush-my-teeth-and-sharpen-my-tongue.png

Would that I had a 10th of the wit.... **le sigh** Anyhoodley-doodle, I'm off to the kitchen to cook & jam. Hasta la pasta! Or something else, perhaps.... :cool:

Reactions: ledboots and Joe
Well, this is either Dorothy Parker, or it's close.

Might also have something to do with Big Bang Theory. But I don't know, since I never watched that show.

fresh-hell-CL6381T.jpg

MadamSarcastra posted a YouTube of Nina Simone's "I Want Some Sugar in My Bowl." The sexual reference there is kind of obvious.

But "sugar" (as in "Gimmie some sugar") is also used more generally in the South (and possibly more generally in the black community) to mean physical affection, like a hug.

gimmesugar_thumbnail.gif

See also the rather more explicit meaning behind

[Quoteback seems messed up today.]

That is indeed Dorothy Parker. ;)

But the quotation may not be 100 percent correct.

What fresh hell can this be?
  • "If the doorbell rang in her apartment, she would say, 'What fresh hell can this be?' — and it wasn't funny; she meant it." You might as well live: the life and times of Dorothy Parker, John Keats (Simon Schuster, 1970, p124). Often quoted as "What fresh hell is this?" as in the title of the 1987 biography by Marion Meade, "Dorothy Parker: What Fresh Hell Is This?".

Dorothy Parker - Wikiquote