West LAX Airport Being Evacuated

When I compare LAX airport to London's major airports, the police presence is far bolder.

You can see police carrying marchine guns at Heathrow and at Gatwick. I have never noticed many police officiers in the US.

When I compare LAX airport to London's major airports, the police presence is far bolder.

You can see police carrying marchine guns at Heathrow and at Gatwick. I have never noticed many police officiers in the US.
The police never really carry the long guns openly in the US unless there's a specific threat, then the police SWAT special forces come running with the war weapons. The police carry handguns and stun guns. I'm not sure what they were shooting at LAX, but reports said the killer survived multiple chest wounds, so I'm guessing handgun.

The police never really carry the long guns openly in the US unless there's a specific threat, then the police SWAT special forces come running with the war weapons. The police carry handguns and stun guns. I'm not sure what they were shooting at LAX, but reports said the killer survived multiple chest wounds, so I'm guessing handgun.

I had noticed that about guns and thought that there was very little police presence in the US.

Luckily they caught him alive as he will have to go on trial.

I had noticed that about guns and thought that there was very little police presence in the US.

Luckily they caught him alive as he will have to go on trial.

1. You're right. There should be more of a police presence at the airport. But there is more of a police presence in neighborhoods where there is more crime (gangs, drugs, etc.) and minorities. In the inner city there are more police cars cruising around, more helicopters, etc. In the "better" neighborhoods, more people are likely to have private security companies cruising around watching for trouble and home alarm systems.

2. Yes, I'm glad they got him alive. It makes me insane whenever somebody like that is shot dead, or kills himself before being captured alive, because then we won't know exactly why they did what they did, and I think that gives less closure to the victims' families. I do understand a little when the cops shoot to kill because they perceive the guy to be a threat, but I think they should aim to wound rather than kill.

That said, they should be maintaining a 24/7 suicide watch on this guy.

At LAX for the past 5-10 years there are a lot of police officers. You have to drive past them and are subject to car checks before even being able to drive into the actual airport. They are constantly circling the terminals in their patrol cars (LAX is a big circle) making sure people don't stop and park at the drop-off/pick-up spots. There presence is definitely noticeable, especially at LAX.