Last Thing You Bought?

Groceries from Aldi, including the almond milk ice cream! They had only a couple left, and I got chocolate. It's pretty good! Hopefully the supply will be more plentiful next time I go, because I think I'll stock up on it. The $2.99 price is great.
Chocolate was the only one I didn't like :laughing:. I saw next weeks ad- they'll have vegan coconut milk ice cream--in raspberry cheesecake, some kind of peanut butter, and chocolate mint. I normally don't care for coconut but, I will be getting the raspberry cheesecake :kissing_heart:
I was just there. We have a boil water alert so I got more bottled water. I also got good looking cherries and can't wash them--I guess I should boil a pot of water :shrug:
Everyone had a case or two of water- I was surprised how much they had left! Water main broke down the road flooding many basements! I'm so thankful it wasn't me. :sadnod:

• Friendly
Reactions: Val
Chocolate was the only one I didn't like :laughing:. I saw next weeks ad- they'll have vegan coconut milk ice cream--in raspberry cheesecake, some kind of peanut butter, and chocolate mint. I normally don't care for coconut but, I will be getting the raspberry cheesecake :kissing_heart:
I was just there. We have a boil water alert so I got more bottled water. I also got good looking cherries and can't wash them--I guess I should boil a pot of water :shrug:
Everyone had a case or two of water- I was surprised how much they had left! Water main broke down the road flooding many basements! I'm so thankful it wasn't me. :sadnod:
Hah, too funny that you didn't like the chocolate! I still like So Delicious brand better, but I don't like the price. :D
Yikes on the water boil alert! I hope it doesn't last too long.
I don't care for coconut milk ice cream either, but the raspberry cheesecake does sound enticing! I'm not a fan of coconut in general. :D

Hah, too funny that you didn't like the chocolate! I still like So Delicious brand better, but I don't like the price. :D
Yikes on the water boil alert! I hope it doesn't last too long.
I don't care for coconut milk ice cream either, but the raspberry cheesecake does sound enticing! I'm not a fan of coconut in general. :D
My brain just came up with a thought: what is your attitude towards vanilla flavour? It frequently happens that people who are indifferent to coconut, also indifferent to vanilla. My dad used to be like that! He was always saying that "this nasty coconut is just steemed mochalka (loofah)". :lol: What about vanilla flavour,- he used to say that it's "mawkish". When i was younger, i got hooked on vanilla&whipped cream store-brand desserts (of course, they weren't vegan). So i miss them and try and seek for a replacement. I have bought some vanilla sugar though (i'll make ice cream using this condiment). What about coconut, i still haven't finished a bag of dried coconut chunks (just as it is!). The taste of those chunks is natural and not sugary at all (nothing like "Bounty" candies). So i like plain coconut. But apparently, i love it not enough to use it very often. Somedays, my dad bought a whole coconut, we drilled it, drank the liquid, then split it with a saw and ate it raw. That was an excitement! I also happened to buy some coconut water in a vegan shop, but eventually decided that it wasn't worth it and ditched this idea. Sometimes i crave coconut badly: once, i bought a variety of "Bounty" which seemed(!) vegan, according to its ingredient list, but when i ate it, i got stomach ache, dyspepsia and nausea. So i assumed that it wasn't vegan, - therefore i also got a long-term guilt.🙄 (It wasn't guilt about not being sustainable, but about doing intentional harm to my blocky carcass, because animal-derived ingredients do harm instantly,- that's how it works). So i restricted myself (no "Bounty" whatsoever). Anyway, i ditched all chocolate more than a year ago and never touched it ever since (because it causes COPD exacerbations). I miss going to the city freely and buying everything i wish in vegan shops. That is not right.
Sorry, i'm in my usual mood of demagoguery again. I'm getting old and marasmatic...🥴

My brain just came up with a thought: what is your attitude towards vanilla flavour? It frequently happens that people who are indifferent to coconut, also indifferent to vanilla. My dad used to be like that! He was always saying that "this nasty coconut is just steemed mochalka (loofah)". :lol: What about vanilla flavour,- he used to say that it's "mawkish". When i was younger, i got hooked on vanilla&whipped cream store-brand desserts (of course, they weren't vegan). So i miss them and try and seek for a replacement. I have bought some vanilla sugar though (i'll make ice cream using this condiment). What about coconut, i still haven't finished a bag of dried coconut chunks (just as it is!). The taste of those chunks is natural and not sugary at all (nothing like "Bounty" candies). So i like plain coconut. But apparently, i love it not enough to use it very often. Somedays, my dad bought a whole coconut, we drilled it, drank the liquid, then split it with a saw and ate it raw. That was an excitement! I also happened to buy some coconut water in a vegan shop, but eventually decided that it wasn't worth it and ditched this idea. Sometimes i crave coconut badly: once, i bought a variety of "Bounty" which seemed(!) vegan, according to its ingredient list, but when i ate it, i got stomach ache, dyspepsia and nausea. So i assumed that it wasn't vegan, - therefore i also got a long-term guilt.🙄 (It wasn't guilt about not being sustainable, but about doing intentional harm to my blocky carcass, because animal-derived ingredients do harm instantly,- that's how it works). So i restricted myself (no "Bounty" whatsoever). Anyway, i ditched all chocolate more than a year ago and never touched it ever since (because it causes COPD exacerbations). I miss going to the city freely and buying everything i wish in vegan shops. That is not right.
Sorry, i'm in my usual mood of demagoguery again. I'm getting old and marasmatic...🥴
I actually love vanilla flavoring! :) I can tolerate unsweetened coconut, like in curry dishes, but I loathe sweet coconut. I remember trading away all the Almond Joy and Mounds bars I got on Halloween. :D

I also love vanilla! I like coconut in certain things. I love it in spicy curries, and often have added it to things I've added too many and too hot peppers! I also like it in some desserts, but there are some things I just despise tasting it in! I guess creamy desserts!
The Aldi almond milk ice cream in chocolate flavor had a hint of the coconut oil , and was very off putting. I don't taste it in the other flavors, but, I find Aldi products to be very very inconsistent ! I've gotten bad batches of olives and other things from them. Also, always have to check ingredients because in some areas they're vegan, others not, and can switch. They have a margarine called Tastes Like Butter in a yellow tub that switches from having dairy to being all vegan!

• Friendly
I also love vanilla! I like coconut in certain things. I love it in spicy curries, and often have added it to things I've added too many and too hot peppers! I also like it in some desserts, but there are some things I just despise tasting it in! I guess creamy desserts!
The Aldi almond milk ice cream in chocolate flavor had a hint of the coconut oil , and was very off putting. I don't taste it in the other flavors, but, I find Aldi products to be very very inconsistent ! I've gotten bad batches of olives and other things from them. Also, always have to check ingredients because in some areas they're vegan, others not, and can switch. They have a margarine called Tastes Like Butter in a yellow tub that switches from having dairy to being all vegan!
I agree on the inconsistency of some products. I have given the vegan chik'n patties another chance because at first they seemed really bland, but the last time I bought them, they were fine. I bought another box this time around as well. Their Clancy brand tortilla chips also can be weird tasting at times, mostly the rounds. That happened twice, so I haven't been buying the rounds.

I've been debating all day whether to inquire on an Cuisinart food slicer for $40. I love really thin slices of seitan and will check there now and then for food slicer (meat slicer 🙄 )
This one is pictured in it's box, in plastic wrap, and says 'used, like new'.
I bet it's gone...Why do I do this? I look stuff up then when I find just what I'm after I procrastinate till it's gone! It took me two years to get that Vitamix!

• Friendly
Reactions: Val and PTree15
I agree on the inconsistency of some products. I have given the vegan chik'n patties another chance because at first they seemed really bland, but the last time I bought them, they were fine. I bought another box this time around as well. Their Clancy brand tortilla chips also can be weird tasting at times, mostly the rounds. That happened twice, so I haven't been buying the rounds.
Haha! and their specials! I so loved the roasted street corn hummus I went back and got two more! Opened the next one and I tasted cumin so much, but I hadn't in the first one! I'm glad I have a son who'll eat my stuff :fp:
Sometimes those chips can be really salty!

Haha! and their specials! I so loved the roasted street corn hummus I went back and got two more! Opened the next one and I tasted cumin so much, but I hadn't in the first one! I'm glad I have a son who'll eat my stuff :fp:
Sometimes those chips can be really salty!
For real! That's a bummer about the hummus. I haven't tried theirs, as I usually make my own. My favorite store-bought is a brand called Joseph's. I think it's a regional brand, mostly in the Northeast. It comes the closest to my homemade version.

For real! That's a bummer about the hummus. I haven't tried theirs, as I usually make my own. My favorite store-bought is a brand called Joseph's. I think it's a regional brand, mostly in the Northeast. It comes the closest to my homemade version.
I used to love making hummus. When I first went veg I made it all.the.time. Then my food processor top broke and by the time I got another I just didn't want anymore. I went a long time not even liking chickpeas.
My taste for beans switches. Now I'm back to liking black beans, but white and pintos are my favorites

• Friendly
That facebook marketplace can be dangerous, anything you can think of will turn up there, and when it's in your own neighborhood? Very hard to pass up!
Those thin sliced Tofurky slices were only better because they're so thin, and it's such a pain to keep slicing thinly with a knife

Reactions: Val and KLS52
^Food slicer review on above ^

Good thing I only paid $30 for the food slicer-not the easy-peasy quickey thing I expected. The plastic 'pusher' is really flexible and hard to have to get even slices--although--you do get really paper thin slices far thinner and quicker than I could do by hand. Clean up isn't bad, I hung it over sink and used the sprayer. blade comes out easily. Good buy if you want deli slices and get a really good deal.
I'm going to put the seitan loaf in freezer for about 15 min and see if it helps

• Informative
FIrst trip to Trader Joes since the shutdown!
I got there right after the public opening (8-9 for seniors and compromised folks) and they had a very short line, maybe 7 minutes
They didn't have the bagged black kale I loved so I got two bags of cruciferous crunch @2.49 each
meatless meatballs (to compare with Aldis) 3.99
jalepano/cilantro hummus (for son) 3.29
3 garlics 1.50
sprouted tofu xfirm 1.99
raw sunflower seeds 2.29
raw cashew pieces 6.99
non sorbate prunes 3.79
2 lbs sweet potates 1.79
can jackfruit 1.99
Dark pumpernickle bread (has enyzmes, I don't care!) really good! 2.99
strawberry oat milk ice cream (with candied strawberries and almond brittle :fp: :pout:) F"""" almond bits in my ice cream! in strawberry? Nonononon.........It was soooo good, except for the stupid chewy bits of almond. Rocky road had been my favorite ice cream, but the almonds were whole and chocolate covered and with appropriate flavors. Strawberry and chewy bits of almond is not a match IMO. 3.99

I spent a bit of time trying to find the cashew vegan cheddar slices and shredded mozz. Finding Waldo is easier! If I hadn't seen the article I would have never known! They had a rack of all kinds of sliced cheeses, and another of all kinds of shredded cheeses, and they all looked a like. Anyway, at 4.99 for I think 7 oz I passed. I can get Daiya and FYH--I'm good

I've been keeping Amazon delivery guys busy.

Method dish soap refill
Matcha Tea (culinary grade)
Roku Express
DEVA flaxseed oil capsules

When I finished my cancer treatment, I thought someone would give me a t-shirt (or something). But no one did. May have had something with the fact that we all went into shelter-in-place. So I went and got myself a Cancer Survivor T-shirt. It's funny cause I don't really think surviving cancer was an accomplishment. All I really did was lay down and not move for a few minutes a day. but still.... so I bought myself a t-shirt. In buying the shirt I discovered that all the different kinds of cancer have their own colors. Like pink for breast cancer. Head and Neck cancer's colors are Burgandy and Ivory. So that is cool.

Screen Shot 2020-07-22 at 9.45.43 PM.png

I was at Amazon just now to remind myself what I got in the last order and I saw that the Dumbells that have been out of stock for months are back in stock. There was just a couple left so I went and ordered them. I also ordered a jump rope and some ceremonial grade matcha tea.

I ordered a vegan lipstick and two sets of slider type shoes to wear indoors. I also have my grocery shopping coming later.

I did pay someone to pick up some rubbish from outside my house too.

Vital wheat gluten is again getting harder to find, and I'm finding prices are increasing--I had Hoosier Hill 4 lb bag in my amazon cart about a week ago at the usual $14.50 price--now it's $16.49 and up. I think I'll get this one instead, while I still have the prime trial!

Nutritional yeast is also harder to find and prices rising. I was buying Frontier mini flakes unfortifed and they're now like $20 a pound!
Anybody with nooch tips? Rather have unfortified...

• Friendly