Is there something dodgy about Gmail?

Blobbenstein

Reaction score
I had a correspondents thread with a clothes company that was supposed to give me a refund, but didn't, and now I look and only the original email is there, and the thread is gone.

I think if you have a conversation with someone else with Gmail, that they can delete posts from the thread, but this wasn't a conversation with someone with Gmail.

I have nothing to show that they promised a refund.

Is this a problem with Gmail?

Sounds bizarre! Do you have any other emails that were received after the original email to the company? I was thinking maybe GMail had a data disaster and had to restore data from backup, but didn't have the most recent data in the backup ...

Did you check your "deleted" folder in case you accidentally deleted them? (I know it sounds unlikely.)

Did you ask Google? (Not sure how exactly ...!)

Did you check your "deleted" folder in case you accidentally deleted them? (I know it sounds unlikely.)

if they ended up there they are long gone, as emails in there get auto deleted.

I think there is a flaw in the system. I was emailing someone else with a Gmail email, and some of the emails in the thread were deleted.......it is an odd system. I think anything you get in the inbox shouldn't be able to be deleted by anyone else.

I think there is a flaw in the system. I was emailing someone else with a Gmail email, and some of the emails in the thread were deleted.......it is an odd system. I think anything you get in the inbox shouldn't be able to be deleted by anyone else.
If that's really possible, then that's good to know! I'll be sure not to use it for anything important any more.

Aaah I think something similar happened to me once with gmail. I wish I could remember exactly what happened but I think I eventually solved it. It may be that the emails are there but somehow moved to another folder or mixed in with another email chain or under a different title. I would search through emails and folder and similar chains and previous emails embedded within others. And maybe stumble across it. Or maybe your issue is just different.

I don't trust google on principle. I never once conducted financial business with them, but somehow they got my bank account # and charged me a fee for a service I never asked for. They made good on it, when I complained, and put the money back, but I have no idea how they got my account #, unless they hacked it from business I had done with others.

The thing that is dodgy about Gmail is that it's owned by Google, who will be the first corporation-state to discover the technique necessary for full-brain scan and upload, creating and unleashing the Pantheon of Steel and Numbers upon our fragile world and transforming our society forever.

But yeah, I think I've had a thread or two disappear before, probably just a bug.

Reactions: Blobbenstein