US Investigations into the illegal activities of Trump & allies

I see that Sessions has been fired. However, experts in a panel on the BBC tonight said they thought the Mueller investigation was safe thanks to the Dems takeover of the House.
Trump might step down (or be pushed) and that would be a help to the political scene in the USA.
I think that sounds unlikely to happen, unfortunately ...

I see that Sessions has been fired. However, experts in a panel on the BBC tonight said they thought the Mueller investigation was safe thanks to the Dems takeover of the House.

Technically, he resigned... after being encouraged to do so. :rolleyes:

Jeff Sessions Out As Attorney General After Steady Drumbeat Of Criticism From Trump -- NPR Choice page (long, detailed piece)

Technically, he resigned... after being encouraged to do so. :rolleyes:

Jeff Sessions Out As Attorney General After Steady Drumbeat Of Criticism From Trump -- NPR Choice page (long, detailed piece)
I wonder whether this means Mueller will be fired. The occupier of the White House is doing everything he can to avoid scrutiny. I'm guessing this has to do with the Dems winning the House, because now they can go after him for the taxes and whatnot.

I wonder whether this means Mueller will be fired. The occupier of the White House is doing everything he can to avoid scrutiny. I'm guessing this has to do with the Dems winning the House, because now they can go after him for the taxes and whatnot.
From what I've heard on NPR, Dems have been adamant that their "I-word" right now is Investigation, not Impeachment....

Mueller has powerful new House allies as he bears down on Trump
Democrats are even prepping a break-glass scenario in case there’s a Nixon-era Saturday Night Massacre during which Trump fires his current DOJ leadership and tries to shutter the Mueller probe in the process. If that happens, senior Democratic officials say Mueller would likely get an immediate summons to Capitol Hill for nationally televised testimony about his findings.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15
The below article in The New Yorker is based on recent progress with the Mueller investigation (Trump, Manafort, Flynn etc), and the investigation of Cohen. Perhaps unsurprisingly, it seems the motive for the Russia collusion was greed:
It is no longer journalistically sound to report on the Trump investigation as if it is a matter that may, or may not, yield damning information about the President. In a series of filings that came Friday night, the office of the special counsel, Robert Mueller, and a separate group of federal prosecutors in the Southern District of New York, laid out evidence that, taken together, leaves little doubt that Donald Trump sought to use his candidacy to enrich himself by approving a plan to curry political favor from Vladimir Putin in exchange for a lucrative real-estate opportunity.
More: The Ineptitude of Donald Trump’s Co-Conspirators (8. Dec. 2018)

The Mueller report is being released, in reacted form.

Some first impressions based on what attorney general Barr has said at his press conference when releasing the report:
Mueller links Trump and campaign to 11 instances of potential obstruction | Trump-Russia investigation | The Guardian (18. April 2019)
I will be reading this at some point. It's incredible how different the spin is from each side. It's as if we're talking about two different reports. The administration's effort to minimize the awful behavior from 45 is astonishing. They just want to excuse such immoral, unethical behavior. Every time Sarah Sanders comes on TV, I have to mute it. I can't express how much I loath this shill.