Instant pot versus traditional pressure cookers

HaplessHeather

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Can anyone offer some insight into the advantages and disadvantages of traditional pressure cookers and fancy next-gen ones such as the Instant Pot? I'm trying to decide whether to invest.

I have an electric, non-digital pressure cooker. It's great for preparing dry beans with no advance soaking, in about one hour. However, I rarely use it. I live in the Pacific Northwest where eight to nine months out of the year, the weather is cold and rainy, and homes have a tendency to be damp and mildewy. My pressure cooker puts out enormous amounts of steam, and when a batch of beans is done the windows and walls are running with water. In summer time when it's hot, it makes the house hot and steamy and unbearable, so I sometimes take it outdoors (and yes, it's big and heavy and a pain to carry when full) and plug it in to cook on my patio table. So it's basically a huge pain.

My number one question about the Instant Pot and similar appliances is, do they put out as much steam as the more basic ones? I would use one on a daily basis if they are steam-free!

Hi sorry I'm no help, but I too live in the Pacific Northwest and you just clued me in to the existence of Instant Pots. I looked it up and I want one too! It will be interesting to see if they're less steamy.

Oh the instapot is a life saver. By that I mean massive time and effort saver.

Virtually steam free, unless the recipe requests to open 'quickly' rather than 'naturally' case in which there's a bit of steam. Definitely not as much as on a rock band stage.

Reactions: Forest Nymph