Instant Pot-Creamy soya yogurt

walterbyrd

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
The trick is: carefully whisk in guar gum after the yogurt is made.

My soy yogurt always came out too thin. I read up on ways to thicken. There are many ways, but almost everybody recommends using agar agar. I tried agar agar, and everything else, but nothing really worked well. It took me many tries. But, the method I finally came up with, works much better than anything else I came across.

I usually use Westsoy, which I buy at Walmart for $4 for the two quart (64oz) size. I have used Costco's Kirkland plain soy milk - back when they sold it. For probiotics, I use Now Foods probiotic capsules that I buy on Amazon, which are *much* less expensive than those packets they sell to make vegan yogurt. One capsule per quart does it for me.

Put the soy milk directly in the Instant Pot. Whisk in the probiotics. I usually add a teaspoon of sugar. Do not put in the guar gum at this point - it will ruin your yogurt. With the pressure valve off, set the Instant Pot on the yogurt setting, and set it for 13 hours if you like your yogurt tangy.

When the yogurt is done, while it is still warm, carefully whisk in the guar gum. The guar gum wants to clump - don't let it. Sprinkle in a tiny bit of guar gum. Then, with the whisk handle between your open palms, whisk vigerously. Then sprinkle in a little more and repeat. Put one tablespoons of guar per quart of yogurt. While whisking, it will look like you are making the yogurt more watery. But once the yogurt sets, if you did it right, the yogurt will be smooth, thick and creamy - also tangy and inexpensive to make.

Reactions: Lou
I've made soy yogurt in the IP for years, but never added any thickeners.
What stands out as a problem is whisking it before it's chilled- that and doing it directly in the pot
I use Trader Joes soy milk, though I have used Westsoy, and a 50 billion New Rhythm probiotic cap
I pour some milk in a 7 cup Pyrex, then add the cap contents to the box and shake-this leaves room to shake cause it gets foamy. Pour the milk in the bowl and set directly in IP pot. I do between 9 and 13 hours.

I never disturb the yogurt until it's fully chilled and it's the texture of any other yogurt. Each time some gets taken out though, it does start to release some soy whey.,Sometimes I'll strain through a paper towel lined wire sieve

• Informative
Reactions: Lou
Oh,and I don't understand agar. I've been playing with it and it doesn't jel until it's simmered in the liquid. just adding to room temp things doesn't activate it, so I can't see that helping yogurt.
It wouldn't make a good consistency anyway

Reactions: walterbyrd
I've made soy yogurt in the IP for years, but never added any thickeners.
What stands out as a problem is whisking it before it's chilled- that and doing it directly in the pot
I use Trader Joes soy milk, though I have used Westsoy, and a 50 billion New Rhythm probiotic cap
I pour some milk in a 7 cup Pyrex, then add the cap contents to the box and shake-this leaves room to shake cause it gets foamy. Pour the milk in the bowl and set directly in IP pot. I do between 9 and 13 hours.

I never disturb the yogurt until it's fully chilled and it's the texture of any other yogurt. Each time some gets taken out though, it does start to release some soy whey.,Sometimes I'll strain through a paper towel lined wire sieve

Wonder why my yogurt always comes out thin? Could it be the Now-Food probiotic? Yogurt I buy refrigerated at this Asian market I go to, generally comes out thicker. I think the protein content may have something to do with it. Edensoy may work better. Silk has an "ultra-protein" soy milk that I may try.

In any case, a little guar gum whisked in after the yogurt is made will fix thin yogurt.

Straining also works, but I hate straining: messy and time consuming.

Wonder why my yogurt always comes out thin? Could it be the Now-Food probiotic? Yogurt I buy refrigerated at this Asian market I go to, generally comes out thicker. I think the protein content may have something to do with it. Edensoy may work better. Silk has an "ultra-protein" soy milk that I may try.

In any case, a little guar gum whisked in after the yogurt is made will fix thin yogurt.

Straining also works, but I hate straining: messy and time consuming.
Have you tried doing it in a glass container rather than the pot itself? I had bad results right in pot, then I used jars, which probably worked best because they're one serving and don't get disturbed. I do the bowl because I use it for different things and just easier to clean. But really, don't disturb till chilled!
I had the same results with Westsoy as Trader Joes. I haven't tried Silk because I was led to believe you need soy beans & water only soy milk. :shrug:
Straining is a pain, but I got used to doing it so it's quick now. I found a paper towel lined mesh strainer over a bowl for most of a day or night, then carefully lifting it so the yogurt pulls off rather than having to scrape.
I've never found non dairy yogurt in Asian groceries

What strength Now probiotics? I was in an Instant Pot vegan group for a while and most of the discussion was yogurt! Everyone agreed on 50 billion or better

I used to make yogurt in wide-mouth 32oz Mason jars I put in the instant pot. I stopped doing that because it was easier to mix in thickeners in the pot, as opposed to the jars.

I do prefer just soy and water soy milk. But I think more protein might help create better thickness. I am curious as to how ultra-protein Silk would work out. I think Edensoy has more protein than Westsoy, and I suspect that makes the yogurt thicker.

Not sure about the Now Foods probiotic count. I thought the probiotic count had more to do with the tanginess, as opposed to the thickness.

I don't buy soy yogurt at the Asian market, I buy soy milk. The soy milk is refrigerated, not shelf stable, and I am having problems with it going bad quickly - before the expiration date. But when I manage to use that soy milk, before it goes bad, I get thicker yogurt than I get with Westsoy.