In the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
Olympic Games - Oscar Pistorius charged with murder after girlfriend shot dead - Yahoo! Eurosport UK

I have to say that my jaw hit the floor when I read this news report earlier. Oscar Pistorius charged with the murder of his girlfriend. Oscar Pistorius was a big star at last year's Paralympics in London. His girlfriend was shot four times and there are some reports he mistook her for a burglar.

I really shouldn't be posting this. It's so bad but I've got to share it.

Mum and I were talking about it earlier and she said "I really don't think he's got a leg to stand on."

Yes, I laughed.

I know. We're bad people. Shoot us.

Oh ****....

Sorry, I'm in a really crazy mood at the moment.

Actually, my main thoughts about the case are with Reeva's family and friends. And then with Oscar's family. I don't know what I believe really happened, I'm just going to wait to see what the jury's verdict is. I do really dislike the media circus that has sprung up around it though.

Guns don't kill people, ovens kill people:
Aalaya Walker was visiting a friend in St. Petersburg Monday when they decided they wanted some late-night waffles, The Tampa Bay Times reported. So Walker began preheating the oven — unaware that her friend, JJ Sandy, 25, was storing a magazine from his .45-caliber Glock 21 in the oven.

The magazine exploded about 9 p.m. ET, spraying casing fragments at high speed and striking Walker. She managed to pick some of the fragments out of her leg and chest and then took a bus to the hospital, where she was treated and released.

'Girls Gone Wild' files for bankruptcy:
The company behind the “Girls Gone Wild” videos filed for bankruptcy to protect itself from a $10.3 million debt claimed by Steve Wynn’s Wynn Las Vegas LLC and a $5.8 million award won by a woman who says the company used naked images of her without permission.

Interesting read about why autism affects such a lower percentage of girls, as compared to boys: http://healthland.time.com/2013/02/22/why-girls-may-be-protected-against-autism/
Wow, a lot of those comments are amazing. From blaming it on "feminists" to claiming its some conspiracy against infant males
Autism is a consequence of the human brain failing to develop properly. The gross gender differences in diagnosis of childhood autism in the US (which are actually much higher than four-to-one) are due to the same thing that it as always been: infant neglect during the very critical first 1,000 days of life when the brain is developing. Girls in our society receive enormously more attention, from everyone, than do boys – primarily because boys are the only minority group in the US that does not enjoy a powerful lobby. All the efforts, driven by women, to seek causes of social autism elsewhere are simply blame-shifting ploys.
Because, you know, mothers ignore their infant sons.

Dennis Rodman's appearance on This Week can be found here.

During the discussion, George Stephanopoulos brings up North Korea's prison camps, a valid point, but fails to mention the prison-industrial complex in the United States or the fact that the U.S. has the highest incarceration rate in the world. He also brings up North Korea's human rights violations, another valid point, but fails to mention the human rights violations of the U.S.

Also, Mr. Stephanopoulos takes issue with Mr. Rodman's admiration of Kim Jong-un, but fails to mention that Mr. Kim has only been North Korea's "supreme leader" for two years.

I think that Rodman is to be admired, surely anything that could be done to help prevent war and improve conditions for people living in North Korea should be encouraged. Sanctions and isolation never work, they just make things worse for the people living under them and do not affect the leaders all that much.

Reactions: Spang
Obviously it is, but if it was in isolation from the rest of the world, it could only get crazier.

Status
Not open for further replies.