In the news

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ What is the reason that people from Florida seems to face a lot of ridicule? I've noticed people making jokes about Florida on mostly American forums.:confused:

They might have found the Loch Ness monster!Is THIS the Loch Ness Monster? Apple's Maps satellite image may have found Nessie | Mail Online

140418_loch_ness_monster_zpsf88d369c.jpg

^ What is the reason that people from Florida seems to face a lot of ridicule? I've noticed people making jokes about Florida on mostly American forums.:confused:

I think it's because they've had a few high profile cases where people committed serious crimes and got away with them. Partly because of poorly handled cases by the DA/prosecutor, partly because of the infamous 'stand your ground' law, with a heaping tablespoon of racism thrown in.
Casey Anthony
George Zimmerman
And the odd stories:
Face eating attack
Blind man has gun returned after murder acquittal
And the extreme racism
Black man arrested dozens of times for 'trespassing' at work

Even though these things happen everywhere, after being in the spotlight because of the top two trials, Florida has become easy, and fun to pick on. :p

Last edited:
Florida has had this problem for long before those cases though. Just look at Fark and it's Florida tag. ;)

It pisses me off, so I often happily go off on people about it. I love Florida, while not blind to its warts, and get irritated by people who have never set foot in one of the country' largest and most beautiful states, yet jump on the nearest bandwagon to judge things they know nothing about.

Last edited:
People often call California the land of fruits and nuts, and I don't mind. :p I've been called the stereotypical Californian, a vegan, liberal, granola eating nut. The only complaint I have about that is, I rarely eat granola. :cool:

People often call California the land of fruits and nuts, and I don't mind. :p I've been called the stereotypical Californian, a vegan, liberal, granola eating nut. The only complaint I have about that is, I rarely eat granola. :cool:
I was just going to comment that Californians have long (far longer than Floridians) gotten grief. They aren't the only states, by far. Louisiana is known for its corruption; Illinois governors end in the penitentiary with alarming frequency; the deep South states have their own reputations.

Londoners get flack too and I do find myself defending Londoners, despite the fact I wasn't even born here.

David Cameron ‘fuelling sectarian division by bringing God into politics' - Telegraph

The Prime Minister came out saying that Britain is still a “Christian country” and in an open letter 55 public figures from a range of political backgrounds accuse him of fostering “alienation” and actively harming society by repeatedly emphasising Christianity.

Shawn Hogan, the CEO of a successful online marketing company called Digital Point Solutions, was sentenced to five months in federal prison for his role in defrauding eBay of an alleged $28 million in online marketing fees.

He must remain on three years' probation after that, and was fined $25,000. Hogan will enter prison on July 14, according to federal court records. Hogan previously reached a civil settlement with eBay also.
Article: eBay's Top Affiliate Marketer Was Just Sentenced To Federal Prison (Business Insider, May 1, 2014)

Shawn Hogan runs a very successful Internet forum at https://forums.digitalpoint.com which runs on the same forum software as VV (Xenforo). He's also developed a couple of add-ons, and we briefly used one of them, the "spy" feature. (I uninstalled it as it seemed to pop up alerts for everyone about reported posts etc ...)

Article: eBay's Top Affiliate Marketer Was Just Sentenced To Federal Prison (Business Insider, May 1, 2014)

Shawn Hogan runs a very successful Internet forum at https://forums.digitalpoint.com which runs on the same forum software as VV (Xenforo). He's also developed a couple of add-ons, and we briefly used one of them, the "spy" feature. (I uninstalled it as it seemed to pop up alerts for everyone about reported posts etc ...)

5 months in prison for stealing $28Million. I've known of people who have stolen much, much less and spent years in prison.

The U.S. justice system so blatantly weighted in favor of the wealthy it's disgusting.

Reactions: Amy SF
Status
Not open for further replies.