US Guns in the U.S.

The USSR was never a fascist state but Stalin himself might reasonably be argued as fascist as an individual, although it's a bit of a stretch.

There are also some similarities in that fascism and communism both concentrate power into the hands of the state rather than private interests.

According to wikipedia
Fascism is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism[1] characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, and strong regimentation of society and the economy[2] that rose to prominence in early 20th-century Europe

let's see how many of those are true for Stalin

far-right (no)
authoritarian (yes)
ultranationalism (not sure/no)
characterized by dictatorial power (yes),
forcible suppression of opposition, (yes)
and strong regimentation of society and the economy (yes)

Stalin's leadership cult was also perhaps somewhat similar to that of a fascist. He in fact probably had a stronger leadership cult than Hitler did.

Stalin arguably took communism and created something that was more of an authoritarian state with a personality cult. Once Stalin died and Khrushchev took power in Russia, there was a relative reduction of some of the elements that were in common with fascism.

It can be hard to fully pin down what fascism is as an ideology. It may be that that the fascists were simply bad, power grabbing people and aren't really deserving of an intellectual analysis or being really labelled as an ideology at all. Likely there was more of value in the books they burned than in the ones they wrote.

Putin can arguably be also described as a fascist, although it's not a classic case.

Some of what makes Putin is a fascist is the war-like stance. His reign has depended on gaining popularity boost from wars and terrorism, some of which were started by him, possibly for that reason. Modern day Russia remains in a constant state of fear of its enemies, imagined and real, and constantly in a war-like state with posturing and so on. This seems fascist.

There is a strong nationalist stance in his views, so very pro Russia, similar to the Trumpian model of America first and America against the world, has a lot in common with fascist

Putin:
far-right (debatable, on social/environmental issues he is clearly a conservative but obviously not small government)
authoritarian (yes)
ultranationalism (yes)
characterized by dictatorial power (yes),
forcible suppression of opposition, (yes)
and strong regimentation of society (no) and the economy (yes)

Is it just me? or maybe my news feeder? (it tries to predict my interests) It seems like there are way more shootings then before

Is it just me? or maybe my news feeder? (it tries to predict my interests) It seems like there are way more shootings then before
Absolutely. Barely a day goes by without someone getting killed from a gun.
This site doesn't even list the accidental, or unintentional shootings-

But hey! there was a women who shot a bad guy, so....

Of course for the gun worshipers this overrides all the other deaths, including the accidental ones often by "responsible' gun owners kids.

It really is something else to have so many insist the right to carry a weapon that can kill without the slightest effort or intent is an Americans right, and the cornerstone of freedom. The same crowd who not passed a bill requiring women (the single case in Ohio BTW) be sexually examined at a mere request to have the sex determined by a physician.The same crowd denying women the right to their own bodies. THat teachers be denied the right to teach science and math. That trans men and women be denied healthcare. ...........................................
But yeah, freedom

Reactions: PTree15 and Lou
More guns mean more guns.
It just occur to people that when those who desire to commit a crime with a gun are more likely to shoot if they feel it's likely the person/persons they target are going to be armed?
The most recent mass shooting involved body armor. Most involve a person willing to die.

More guns mean more guns.
It just occur to people that when those who desire to commit a crime with a gun are more likely to shoot if they feel it's likely the person/persons they target are going to be armed?
The most recent mass shooting involved body armor. Most involve a person willing to die.
Sure, but what's the sense in going on a shooting spree if as soon as you fire at someone you get shot yourself? You'd get killed and accomplish doing so.

Absolutely. Barely a day goes by without someone getting killed from a gun.
This site doesn't even list the accidental, or unintentional shootings-
Just looked it up. More that a hundred people are shot and killed each day.

But I was just thinking about "Mass Shootings" that is 4 or more people at once.
So I looked it up.

Mass shooting average about one a day
Since Ulvade, which was 12 days ago, there have been 10. so I guess there haven't been any more than usual. Maybe it's just the medias attention that has changed.

It looks like the Gun Violence Archive uses some other definition - They have 20 something shootings in the past week.
Sure, but what's the sense in going on a shooting spree if as soon as you fire at someone you get shot yourself? You'd get killed and accomplish doing so.

Well even if I accepted that (and I don't), more than half of the gun deaths are caused by suicide. Giving everyone a gun is not going to decrease the suicide rate. In fact making guns harder to get, background checks, waiting periods, and red flag laws have demonstrably reduced suicide rates.

Just looked it up. More that a hundred people are shot and killed each day.

But I was just thinking about "Mass Shootings" that is 4 or more people at once.
So I looked it up.

Mass shooting average about one a day
Since Ulvade, which was 12 days ago, there have been 10. so I guess there haven't been any more than usual. Maybe it's just the medias attention that has changed.

It looks like the Gun Violence Archive uses some other definition - They have 20 something shootings in the past week.

Well even if I accepted that (and I don't), more than half of the gun deaths are caused by suicide. Giving everyone a gun is not going to decrease the suicide rate. In fact making guns harder to get, background checks, waiting periods, and red flag laws have demonstrably reduced suicide rates.

If a person wants to kill themselves that us their choice, the government does not have the responsibility, or the right, to use any form of coercion to prevent them from doing so.

Even if the possibility of getting killed right away does not deter the shooter, the fact remains that if they actually do it they aren't going to get nearly as far if someone shoots them.

The political compass of gun rights. I didn't have room to include the anti gun rights progressives, but if they did they would probably be just a little bit to the authoritarian side of the other left wing argument, and would be saying something like, "BLAAAA! AR15S BAD!!!! CHILDREN ARE GETTING SHOT!!!! BLAAA!!!!! BLAAA!!!! HILLARY CLINTON 2024!!!!!!
1659303738275.png

The political compass of gun rights. I didn't have room to include the anti gun rights progressives, but if they did they would probably be just a little bit to the authoritarian side of the other left wing argument, and would be saying something like, "BLAAAA! AR15S BAD!!!! CHILDREN ARE GETTING SHOT!!!! BLAAA!!!!! BLAAA!!!! HILLARY CLINTON 2024!!!!!!
View attachment 27579
Holly crap, looking at this meme now I realize how many spelling errs I made. Try to ignore them, please, I would really appreciate it.