I want to learn how to sew...

Mel

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
...using a sewing machine and some hand sewing too I suppose.

My mother has a nice machine that she doesn't use much for the moment and she is willing to loan it to me for a while (probably several months) so I can teach myself to sew. I have this wild image that I can do all kinds of refashions and be like this woman. http://refashionista.net/ I just love the things she does with hideous, ugly old pieces that she gets from thrift stores!

So, my question is: Does anyone know of any awesome beginner sewing websites or books I can learn from? :)

I want to learn, too. I've wanted to make things, that would require sewing, for a long time. I'd love to be able to sell the things I make, plus give as gifts and refashion stuff, fix things.
I wish I had been able to learn from my grandmother; she was fantastic at that stuff.

I just started sewing in junior high school when my mother bought some patterns and materials for me. I eventually ended up sewing most of my mother's and my clothes for years. IMO, it's a lot like cooking - you start by following some easy recipes, and you learn from there.

Some fabric stores have classes - you could check into that.

Reactions: kazyeeqen
My mum and I used to quilt when I was in high school, but she'd do all the sewing and I'd do the ironing and cutting. I never learned how to use a sewing machine. I really want to, even just for simple things. We have a lot of quilt tops we never fully assembled and fabric we bought for quilts that were never made. I started talking to her recently about us finding time to finish those projects and for me to learn to sew finally. I knit well, but I need another crafty outlet. My life is tragic devoid of productive hobbies lately.

My parents got me an old sewing machine from the thrift store when I was a teenager and I taught myself how to use that. Things went a lot faster after that.

If you get a hold of a sewing machine with a manual I think that's the best way to learn. Sewing is pretty basic, but threading the machine is tricky at first and troubleshooting can be very very frustrating (why are all my threads breaking? Why is it bunching at the back of the fabric? Skipping stitches? Breaking needles?) but once I started reading the 'common problems' in my manual it became much more satisfying and productive and I yelled and cursed less. Or just find a 'common sewing machine problems' list online. It's almost always adjusting tension or changing the needle...

Reactions: thefadedone
My mother's machine is a more modern one I believe. I'll make sure to ask her to bring out the manual as well, unless I can download one online.

I've been posting about this for a few years now...I have a brand new, still in the box sewing machine in the attic. I never even took it out to look at it. I could just smack myself. :fp:

I agree--a manual for your machine can tell you lots about what is going wrong. But there are some good books at the library (well at my library so I assume yours too) with colour pictures and step by step photos on sewing--I found those really helpful--

I have been sewing for 25 years--it is a great skill. Plus if you are like me and get a wild notion you can just make it. I dreamed the other night about washable, reusable ziplock bags. I went out and bought some rip stop nylon and some velcro and using fabric from my stash, i now have several adorable bags. Good luck!

I think that blog is a good start for inspiration.Thanks for the link

Have you joined http://www.craftster.org/forum/ yet? I'll always love craftster because that site helped to to accept and like what I make. You should be able to find some help and links there.

I'm sorry I'm not too much help. I tend to sew very basic things.

I got my mother's sewing machine today. I'm about to go have a look at the instruction book! I'm kinda excited about this.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I'll go see what I can make now!

Reactions: kazyeeqen and KLS52
Get some scraps of material (anything nonstretchy - stretchy fabrics are a challenge unto themselves) and explore some of the basic things the machine can do. Then get yourself a really simple pattern - if you wear skirts, skirt patterns are the easiest - and just follow the directions. Get a pattern that calls for a non stretchy fabric - a woven fabric, not a knit one.

Start simple, and you'll gain confidence as you gain experience. :hug:

Reactions: kazyeeqen
I want to learn also. There is a machine at the bf's place, but I have yet to try anything with it.

My first thing I may attempt is a simple skirt for the ren faire.

Try to get into a workshop! I learned to sew in Grade 8 home economics class...one of the best, most useful classes I ever had!! Sewing is the best! So empowering!

My mum bought be a really nice new sewing machine for Christmas so I would have my own to learn on. Last weekend, my boyfriend's mum taught me how to alter a sweater and pair of pants that were too big. It will be a while before I am brave enough to tackle quilting or anything really detailed, but it's nice to finally be learning a useful skill. I have a few more articles of clothing to play with altering this weekend and his mum has a simple cloth Christmas ornament she wants to recreate/reconstruct.

Reactions: mary1