I Ate Dairy After Being Vegan For Over Two Years!

Alse

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi. I have been vegan for over two years but recently I developed some problems with my digestion and gut and my liver was slightly enlarged. I'm sure it is all because of stress but my mum was very worried and stressing out way too much over my health to the point of breaking down. She, along with my other family, was constantly telling me to eat yoghurt. I didn't wanna do it but I couldn't watch my mum in that condition any longer, so I ended up eating yoghurt for three or four days. I don't want to eat it..and I feel extremely guilty about it. But I have practically no say in it anymore...I'm planning to go back to being vegan, of course, but I wanted to know if eating yoghurt, for a few days is gonna offset all my progress of being completely plant based for over two years? I feel like a bad person. I would really appreciate some insight into it. Thanks.

When it comes down to raw survival... its only a matter of where exactly we draw the line between me or them. Feeling guilty for eating yoguhrt cause you didnt feel well and your mum kinda forced you, at least shows your standards are rather high. Also try Kefir instead......

Reactions: Alse
When it comes down to raw survival... its only a matter of where exactly we draw the line between me or them. Feeling guilty for eating yoguhrt cause you didnt feel well and your mum kinda forced you, at least shows your standards are rather high. Also try Kefir instead......
Thanks for replying...I have been trying to get probiotics through fermented foods. I just felt like talking to other vegans about it and maybe getting to know how they deal with family trying to manipulate/force them into eating non vegan food

My mother was born in Russia and used to say: "If Kefir cant heal it, its lethal!" Even though I miss her twisted humour I can still remember how hard it was to talk her out of helping me.

My mother was born in Russia and used to say: "If Kefir cant heal it, its lethal!" Even though I miss her twisted humour I can still remember how hard it was to talk her out of helping me.
My mum's Indian and swears by yoghurt. There's lot of pressure surrounding whatI eat to the point where it gets unhealthy for my mental well being...

• Friendly
Reactions: Ohzen
My mum's Indian and swears by yoghurt. There's lot of pressure surrounding whatI eat to the point where it gets unhealthy for my mental well being...
Guess thats not something just our mums have in common. I always tried to calm myself by remembering that my mother grew up at a time and place where a pure vegan diet would have been more complicated (knowledge, availability, customs,...)

Compared to Russia the acceptance towards veganism is very high in India so count yourself lucky unless you want me to tell you what my dear mother loved to eat.

Guess thats not something just our mums have in common. I always tried to calm myself by remembering that my mother grew up at a time and place where a pure vegan diet would have been more complicated (knowledge, availability, customs,...)

Compared to Russia the acceptance towards veganism is very high in India so count yourself lucky unless you want me to tell you what my dear mother loved to eat.
Vegetarians are accepted way more here...when I first went vegan, and even to this day my family keeps constantly commenting on what I eat and how I should be vegetarian and how veganism is harming me and after a point it gets hard...that being said I do plan on being vegan for the rest of my life cause those are my beliefs. I don't want this slip up to hinder my progress. I wanted to share my experience cause i wanted some insight from other vegans on how I can improve :)

• Friendly
Reactions: Second Summer
...cause those are my beliefs...
Big words... but people tend not to trust words. Prove it! Stay stalwart and I bet sooner or later even your parents will accept it. And dont worry about some rare occasions with no other choise than to break your vows, if you are a spiritual person you will have enough time to suffer later.... ; )

If you don’t want this “slip up”, as you call it, to hinder your progress, it won’t! Put it behind you and move forward.

I have had periods where I would eat Greek yogurt because of the protein content and the fact that it was easily digestible for me when I’m having issues with my esophagus. Eating becomes difficult and for some reason the yogurt goes down easy. It usually lasts a few days then I jump right back to cutting it out again. Luckily it only happens 2-3 times a year.

I do not use the vegan label, however. It’s just easier to not define myself and I have too much respect for people who do follow a strict vegan lifestyle. I just do the very best I can when I can.

Been vegan for 8 years. I made a decision to go back to being vegetarian because I was struggling being vegan in Mississippi, a more rural state with less options. That lasted a month, and it made me realize that I would prefer to be vegan even if it’s harder.

Hi Alse, and welcome to VF!

Dealing with family and social pressure regarding diet and lifestyle are often some of the most challenging aspects of veganism. I can only imagine how hard it can be in a country like India where family and tradition appear to have an even more central role than in Western countries.

I suppose the best you can do is that you learn as much as you can about veganism, including nutrition and ethics, and the issues surrounding livestock and animal products. Then you are better prepared if you get into a discussion. (Though, people are unfortunately not often persuaded by facts and science when it comes to diet ...) Also, there is power in community - being a member here on VF can only be a good thing! Similarly, if there is anything like a Vegan Society of India, then consider becoming a member. Do you have anyone in your family who are at all supportive of veganism or critical of aspects of animal farming? If so, they are your allies.

Don't worry about it. In the spectrum of "slip-ups", IMHO to appease someone you love is one of the most valid reasons.

Despite public opinion, I don't think yogurt has any medical or health benefits. Certainly, the dairy component doesn't. The probiotic aspect is very questionable. There are very few - maybe even no medical studies that have found improved health from probiotics. There are thousands of bacteria living in our guts. Just adding one or two different species can't have much of an effect. In fact, the bacteria that is in yogurt is not normally found in humans. Plus researchers even doubt that a live culture can survive the trip through the stomach.

@KLS52, including nonvegan food to increase calcium and protein intake is something that I also had to do when I was getting radiation treatments.

Homemade smoothies turn out to be even better for nutrition than a greek yogurt or Boost or Ensure or keifer.
My very favorite is chocolate soy milk/banana/peanut butter. If the peanut butter is too gritty to swallow (BTW best to use smooth) you can sub a protein powder or silken tofu.

I have a small collection of some really good protein-packed smoothie recipes. PM me if you want some.

Alse, you are more vegan than I am. You have already set a good example for me to follow.

I am not a perfect vegan. I do not intend to become a perfect vegan. The perfect vegan probably has obsessive compulsive disorder. If everybody ate like you, then the world would be a much better place.

I didn't wanna do it but I couldn't watch my mum in that condition any longer, so I ended up eating yoghurt for three or four days.

Don't worry, it's not that big of a deal I don't think.

I do wonder though if giving in is really going to help? All you do is shift the goalposts? Now she'll want you to do it again, or eat more animal products? I think you are just going to have to be firm if you can. If you are 19, you don't really have to appease your Mom. You can make your own decisions.

Hi. I have been vegan for over two years but recently I developed some problems with my digestion and gut and my liver was slightly enlarged. I'm sure it is all because of stress but my mum was very worried and stressing out way too much over my health to the point of breaking down. She, along with my other family, was constantly telling me to eat yoghurt. I didn't wanna do it but I couldn't watch my mum in that condition any longer, so I ended up eating yoghurt for three or four days. I don't want to eat it..and I feel extremely guilty about it. But I have practically no say in it anymore...I'm planning to go back to being vegan, of course, but I wanted to know if eating yoghurt, for a few days is gonna offset all my progress of being completely plant based for over two years? I feel like a bad person. I would really appreciate some insight into it. Thanks.

Your progress as a vegan? No. If you've resisted temptation for 2 years and caved to emotional pressure from a relative your progress in becoming a stronger person and able to hold your ground will be affected, but it should have little bearing on returning to being vegan. After several days, any bacteria that developed from eating dairy will die off and the fiber/resistant starch ones will re-establish dominance provided you feed them.

As an aside, vegans do not need probiotics under normal circumstances. All the beneficial bacteria develop on their own eating enough fiber and resistant starch. I personally have never taken them, even when transitioning. That said, they might be helpful if you've gone any time on anti-biotics, which typically destroy everything - the good and the bad.

Insofar as digestion problem issues I would look at getting a stool test to see if you might have sibo or small intestinal bacterial overgrowth. Vegans can sometimes develop it and from what I understand, certain foods/herbs (not animal products) are the solution. If you do this instead, you can show your concerned relative(s) instead of operating in the dark relying on their (well meaning but misinformed) advice. People have all kinds of mystic ideas about animal products and will take every opportunity to blame your veganism for any health maladies you might have while dismissing the problems they develop from eating them.

As it was brought up, I can only imagine how bad pressure might be among family in India. There is religious vegetarianism there clearly, but veganism might be little understood there. Information can be helpful still. The most healthy way there is to eat has no animal products included, just be sure to get a good variety of whole foods with a plant-based way of eating, avoiding processed foods. This site is very helpful for that, with information, and desirable recipes. www.forksoverknives.com

Reactions: Ohzen
Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be food. Talking about food, am referring to a whole-meal plant-based diet. The vegan diet, as long as it largely consists of whole foods, is the best health-wise.

Most people have no idea how nutritiously powerful vegan foods are. For example, many individuals still believe that if you do not take dairy, you will be calcium deficient, and therefore have weak bones. But research shows that those whose dairy intake is high are at a higher risk of osteoporosis.

I think your mom still carries that mentality of vegan foods are somewhat inefficient, which is wrong. It is like a personal trainer recommending that you eat more meat for more protein so you can be bigger and stronger. People who have worser conditions than yours like diabetes, atherosclerosis and even coronavirus show significant improvement after switching to a healthy vegan diet.

Having stated that you have digestion problems, I propose that you eat lots of fiber. Fiber from raw fruits, unrefined grains and mildly cooked veggies are really great digestion boosters and improve gut health. And remember that animal protein increases inflammation which can worsen your "slightly enlarged" liver.

Eat more vegan and prove your mother wrong.

Reactions: Emma JC
I find that that I can go too far with what I say, that those I say it to in their defensiveness will be in denial, and disregard looking into it, responding negatively to me. But I am right to say that with reasons there are to be vegan, there are not great reasons to not become vegan, with there being the healthiest way possible with no animal products, no harm to animals from choices with being vegan, and not the contribution to environmental problems, diminishing resources, and climate change. Reasons that would be claimed over those things dismiss them.

• Friendly
Reactions: Emma JC

Hi Alse. I'm glad you found this forum so you can talk with other vegans and get support - it is sooo hard to change a lifestyle on one's own.

It's a problem sometimes when we put labels on ourselves such as "I'm a Vegan!" and then we feel compelled to fit into a box that is often defined by others who know nothing of our lives - you obviously have a care and a longing to do the right thing and for you at this point - appeasing your Mom was what was needed. I would not beat yourself up about having some yogurt - look at what you have accomplished :clp: over the past two years, not some small blip in the road - look at the bigger, more positive picture and move forward in the best version of your life.

Take care!

Reactions: Lou