I am no longer vegan

Good try! :) But I think it needs to be slightly less succinct, especially when spoken. Maybe something like 'veganist' or 'veganian'?

Perhaps not the most imaginative, but I think it also needs to be recognisable as something to do with 'vegan'.
You are right. the V/v is too subtle anyway.

Maybe a little too nitpick and also too based in semantics but ....
A product can't be vegan. not based on the accepted definition. Products don't have intent.
So for products we can just say plant based. or animal free. or cruelty free.

That fits right into my thinking. I've often said that veganism is a process not a product. when we decide to be vegan we embark on journey, follow a path, veganism is the way - not the destination. Compassion is the destination.

BTW, I didn't make that up. Several authors have said the same thing. Most notably Colleen Patrick Goudreau.

I like this idea also because it takes out the whole personal purity aspect.

What about this idea? Vegan products could be vegan with a small v. Vegan people could be Vegan with a capital V.
Goes right over my head :???::shrug:

Reactions: Vegan Dogs
Whatever all these avoid harming killing animals founders dreamt up...they failed to address the legal status of non humans.

That of things, commodities, property chattels under the law.

This has been addressed by legal law professor Gary l
Francione.

Abolitionist vegan leader.

The first principle is that we cease seeing and treating animals as commodities, property.

In this slavery abolition was dealt with as exactly the same issue...humans were legally property.

Once we cease viewing and treating non humans as property, things. All else is simple. They are not ours to use. Their lives and bodies are not ours to use.

We have morally no more right to breed and feed ourselves or prisoner pets of ours humans or non humans. They are not ours to use.

Last edited:
I choose to use these mantras not for myself or to entitle myself with some sort of elitist nonsense but to let people know what I do or do not eat. It is easier then explaining what I do or don't eat seeing most people know what a vegan adheres to. I monstly tell them in a setting where we would be eating together. Sometimes people are surprised when I tell them I don't eat animal products seeing they have known me for years but didn't know.
Anyway, if I say I don't eat animal products when the topic comes up, they always immedeately ask "so you are vegan?". So, to others that are not "vegan", vegan is a dieteray choice, and they don't often consider belts, wallets, gelatin, etc...

However I do think that veganism or being vegan means not using animal products by it's definition. This is not a critique but it is what the word actually means. So not having a leather belt or a leather wallet, not eating a cake because it has gelatin or eggs, etc because they are what a vegan avoids: animal products. This is what veganism is. If you believe there should be a term for people that more losely adhere to veganism than you have the term 'vegetarian' and maybe something like a 'flexi-vegan' but by definition, a person that uses animal products or byproducts is a not a 'vegan'.

However I AM of the opinion that everyone that limits their meat, fish and dairy consumption already greatly helps the environment and already saves many animals no matter which "category of consumers" you would put them under.

I choose to use these mantras not for myself or to entitle myself with some sort of elitist nonsense but to let people know what I do or do not eat. It is easier then explaining what I do or don't eat seeing most people know what a vegan adheres to. I monstly tell them in a setting where we would be eating together. Sometimes people are surprised when I tell them I don't eat animal products seeing they have known me for years but didn't know.
Anyway, if I say I don't eat animal products when the topic comes up, they always immedeately ask "so you are vegan?". So, to others that are not "vegan", vegan is a dieteray choice, and they don't often consider belts, wallets, gelatin, etc...

However I do think that veganism or being vegan means not using animal products by it's definition. This is not a critique but it is what the word actually means. So not having a leather belt or a leather wallet, not eating a cake because it has gelatin or eggs, etc because they are what a vegan avoids: animal products. This is what veganism is. If you believe there should be a term for people that more losely adhere to veganism than you have the term 'vegetarian' and maybe something like a 'flexi-vegan' but by definition, a person that uses animal products or byproducts is a not a 'vegan'.

However I AM of the opinion that everyone that limits their meat, fish and dairy consumption already greatly helps the environment and already saves many animals no matter which "category of consumers" you would put them under.
May I ask...if you think animals are ours to own and use is ethical ...then really anything goes. People can decide zebras matter more to them...don't eat those...other people think pet cats matter more so don't eat those...

It becomes a free for all if people think part time vegan respects animals... It becomes just a diet name ultimatey.

This post author has decided if some vegans feed pet cats chickens he doesn't want to be called a vegan as eating pet cats is against his principles breeding and eating cats is a no no but not chickens in his opinion.

I find his label issue
Ridiculous. He is obsessed by pet cats and doesn't care about chickens.

Part vegan or part dead chickens don't exist.

Last edited:
Apparantly you haven't read what i actually wrote. I do not condone owning, eating or abusing animals in any way nor did I say I did and as such, I have been living a vegan lifestyle for 38 years.
In my eyes, eating any animal is wrong and, as a matter of fact, I also never even ate one. If my post made you think otherwise you are sadly mistaken. However, I do have friends, family and loved ones that eat meat and I do not consider them to be evil. They might be misinformed or blind to reality but not everyone has the same opinion about these things. The reality is that we as vegans spread the unpopular 'opinion' (which we know to be facts).
I choose not to be a deviant (and yes, they know I'm a vegan) or to alienate people because of choices they have (or haven't) made because these choices rarely define a person.

Reactions: KLS52
Apparantly you haven't read what i actually wrote. I do not condone owning, eating or abusing animals in any way nor did I say I did and as such, I have been living a vegan lifestyle for 38 years.
In my eyes, eating any animal is wrong and, as a matter of fact, I also never even ate one. If my post made you think otherwise you are sadly mistaken. However, I do have friends, family and loved ones that eat meat and I do not consider them to be evil. They might be misinformed or blind to reality but not everyone has the same opinion about these things. The reality is that we as vegans spread the unpopular 'opinion' (which we know to be facts).
I choose not to be a deviant (and yes, they know I'm a vegan) or to alienate people because of choices they have (or haven't) made because these choices rarely define a person.
Good oh. Pleased you are vegan. As i am. I recall reading some judgemental criticism of vegan meaning vegans do not feed bred and killed by humans chickens etc to pet cats. That being me I had my fur ruffled.

I seriously haven't even the slightest clue of what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure that criticism didn't come from me. As I say I don't eat any animal products what so ever.

Last edited:
I seriously haven't even the slightest clue of what you are talking about but I'm pretty sure that criticism didn't come from me. As I say I don't eat any animal products what so ever.
Oh my error...there is a similar title thread called ...I am thinking of leaving....where the excuse given is dislike of vegans being vegan and not feeding bred and killed by humans farmed animals to pet cats.

Now that clear...back to this post issue with label vegan or plant based.

With ref to example of pet cats and farm animals.... A vegan abstains from using bred and killed by humans animals. A plant based person is just personal diet focused and uses bred and killed by humans animals.

Same here. If only the majority of omnis would change to a flexitarian diet, the number of animals abused and killed would diminish greatly. Moreover, it's a far more realistic and possible achievement as entire populations will never be entirely plant based or vegan.

There are numerous debates concerning the classification of both a vegan and plant based diet. Some think that you can still consume meat products and be plant based. Others, will feed meet to a pet and still say they are vegan whilst some will consider that taking medication or having a vaccine that is tested on animals is perfectly acceptable.
It's for the above reasons, that I dislike putting labels onto a lifestyle as it's virtually impossible to adhere 100% to any given one and thus be a target of criticism which often is negative and a waste of valuable energy.

''Veganism is generally defined as living in a way that avoids consuming, using, or exploiting animals as much as realistically possible. While this leaves room for individual preferences and barriers, the overall intent is that minimal harm is done to animals through life choices.''

Reactions: Lou