Hypothyroidism and plant-based diet-your thoughts?

RochelleRae11

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
I came across this video and found it really interesting
Does anyone suffer with Hypothyroidism? Do you feel your plant-based diet can help with this?
I'd love to hear other people's thoughts because I recently got diagnosed!

I don't know his credentials, (and didn't watch the video), but there is much evidence showing the benefits of a Whole Food Plant Based diet for soooo many disorders.
Here are some physicians that have much evidence based research on the subject:

Reactions: Emma JC
Maybe have your iodine levels checked? The evidence for/against supplementation seems to be conflicting but hypothyroidism can be caused by deficiency as I understand it. Your doctor will know best. I am not an authority on the subject. I believe a vegan diet without supplementation is usually lower in iodine than a diet that includes seafood. Seaweed and seaweed based supplements are not a good source because the amounts vary too much.

Maybe have your iodine levels checked? The evidence for/against supplementation seems to be conflicting but hypothyroidism can be caused by deficiency as I understand it. Your doctor will know best. I am not an authority on the subject. I believe a vegan diet without supplementation is usually lower in iodine than a diet that includes seafood. Seaweed and seaweed based supplements are not a good source because the amounts vary too much.
Dr Greger addresses this--he advocates getting all sodium from whole foods, with miso being the one exception--
I never ate any seafood, but always used iodized salt

I assumed a diagnoses oh hyperthyroid would check for iodine, maybe I'm making an assumption?

The only thing I have ever heard in regards to hypothyroidism and vegan diets is FUD ( Fear Uncertainty Doubt ) that eating soy can make things worse for people with under active thyroids.

Years ago I read the Post Punk Kitchen web board, mostly women, and some who had thyroid issues.

Their non-vegan M.D.s didn't have anti-soy hysteria. Their doctors just adjusted their medication to their individual needs. The tone I got was "life goes on, pass the tofu".

Reactions: bEt and Brian W