Howdy from Texas

cmainka

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
My name is Chris and I am from Texas close to Houston in a small town. I of course have always been a big meat eater, even on a couple of Barbecue teams at the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo. Most of my family is has or is in the oil industry for generations. We drink, and barbecue and drink some more. We went on a trip to Colorado and came back through Kansas and Dodge City where there are lots of feed lots. We were on a tour of the town and the feed lots when the tour guide proudly stated that when they are running low on feed they will feed what every they can. This may include sheet rock remains and Jelly beans. She stated that nothing goes to waste here. My thoughts were racing, what the Hell really. So we went home and started researching and of course came across the forks over knives and the other videos.

My cholesterol has always been high or the very high range so I adopted the a vegan diet. I dropped my total cholesterol in three months all the way to 205 and kept it there for several months. Lost 30 pounds. Was convinced I had found the secrets. Went on a cruise and started cheating and continued cheating and have gained back 20 pounds and my cholesterol is high again and I am very sad. Of course the Doctor want to put me on satins, but I refuse. So hear we go with round two. Complete self doubt that I can do it again, but will try very hard. Pretty much addicted to bread at this point. Any advice of the secret formula would be great. Nothing processed and no oil. Back off the wine. Any thing I am missing

Glad to have found yall!!!

Welcome to the forum

I think you have it all figured out. The big secret is to eliminate meat, dairy, and eggs, and reduce processed food, oil, sugar, and alcohol.

Bread isn't so bad. just make sure you buy the healthiest bread. If you are trying to lose weight too then you do have to limit the number of grains you eat. Keep it under three servings. Maybe even under two while you are cutting calories.

If you are looking for some more specific guidlines you might want to get a copy of How Not to Die by Dr. Gregar.
His Daily Dozen is a very good guideline.
there is an app that allows you to check off things right on your smartphone.

- https://nutritionfacts.zendesk.com/...and-Downloading-the-Daily-Dozen-Mobile-Appbut you

can also go old school and do it with a list on the frig.

Go to this page and print it out. then get it laminated and buy a dry erase pen. Post it on your frig and you are good to go. just check things off all day long.

-https://veganuary.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Daily-Dozen-Checklist.pdf

It does look like a lot of food but the serving sizes are quite do-able.
Here is the cheat sheet for serving sizes.

-https://veganuary.com/starter-kit/dr-gregers-daily-dozen-checklist/

It does add up to a lot of calories so don't forget to exercise.

welcome and congrats on your decision and like most of us you are finding that this is a journey - one that can take some time however whenyour health is involved then you need to act a bit quicker

whole foods are the key, plant-based of course

lots of beans, veggies, greens, berries, legumes, whole wheat breads and pastas and rice - yes, to cutting out oils, processed sugars and minimal salt aka SOS (sugar, oil, salt)

don't starve yourself - track your intake and output for a bit on Cronometer until you are in the groove...

keep us updated, we love to hear good news stories and are here to help

Emma JC

Reactions: Lou and KLS52