Vegan How to make your own Croutons

kibbleforlola

Lola Worshiper
Reaction score
I wasn't sure if I should put this under salads or basics, so feel free to move. :) There are lots of crouton recipes out there, but none that seem to do it the way I do it (twice baked), which is the best way, so here you go. ;)

When making croutons I usually use leftover bread from my bread maker, which I guess makes it triple baked, but you can use whatever bread you like. This is also my favorite way to use up those cheapo hotdog and hamburger buns leftover from those summer bbq's.

Croutons
Half a loaf of day old bread
2-3 tbs Olive oil
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste
2 cloves garlic, minced
Pinch of italian seasoning

Pre-heat oven to 350. Slice bread and arrange on cookie sheet. Bake for about ten minutes, until bread starts to dry out. Remove bread from oven, cut up into cubes. In a bowl, toss cubes with olive oil and seasonings. Return to cookie sheet and bake for an additional 25-30 min or until oil is completely absorbed and bread has reached maximum crunchiness.

Feel free to switch up the seasonings, too. For a basic crouton, just salt and pepper. For a ceaser crouton, melt a bit of margarine with the oil and toss bread with nutritional yeast and/or vegan parm. Or use whatever herbs you have in your garden!

Reactions: KLS52
I've done something very similar. Great way to use up day-old bread.
I'm going to try this...I like the idea of baking it first then cubing it. :)

I've started making my own croutons instead of buying them. I rarely have old bread that isn't actually moldy, so I've been buying baguettes especially for croutons.
Lemon basil baguette from whole foods makes nice croutons. :)

Reactions: kibbleforlola