Vegan How to bake a potato

This all sounds very delicious. Maybe I'll actually have to buy potatoes and try this out. After last year's potatoes are finally gone though...

Does everyone have a microwave? I didn't realize it was so unusual not to, but you folks are some that I might have thought wouldn't have one either...

I have neither. But I have a laptop, so that's all the teevee I need. And I have a cellphone, so I just put that up to my food to cook it.

I do my potatoes by wrapping them in foil and poking a couple of chunks of solid vegetable fat through an opening in the top (after the scrub n' fork poke). Then I cook them for 45 mins-1 hour like that, so the insides soften, and then open up the foil, sprinkle on some seasoning, and stick it back in for a really crispy skin.

Pfft I grew up without a microwave, shower, toaster, kettle or door bell. For the stupidest reasons. I have a microwave now, but I dislike baked potatoes in it (but they are just put in, not with a special thingy).

I cook loads but I have never heard of putting oil on them before hand, but now you say it, it makes so much sense! Can't wait to try it out, I love baked potatoes (especially with baked beans!). :) You learn something new every day - but I didn't think it would be how to bake a potato!

Is olive oil suitable for use with a pizza stone?

I'd rather eat a non-oiled potato than have to clean a pan afterwards, or throw away foil that has only been used to catch drips. In fact, I rarely bake anything at all because I hate both washing up and throwing away foil. If it can't cook on the pizza stone or on a tiny square of foil in the toaster oven, I don't like to make it.

I have a microwave. I grew up without one, though, and prefer things like baked potatoes or popcorn not to be microwaved. I mostly use my microwave to heat up ready meals or leftovers.
I don't know anyone irl who doesn't have a microwave.

I don't, and never will.

I don't know you either! :grr:

It was so exciting to me when my parents got one when I was young. Quite a bit later than my friends, it seemed to me at the time. But when I got rid of mine as an adult it was a complete non-issue. One day there, the next gone and I barely even noticed. :shrug:

No microwave here. They kind of give me the creeps, mostly because the food tastes fakey heated when it comes out, if that makes any sense. And plastic + food + microwave = hell no!! I mean, I will use a microwave in a pinch but only if the food is in glass...microwaving in plastic is scary :/ (it basically leaches plastic chemicals into your food). I don't think it is anything special about the microwave, just the heat + plastic (please correct me if I am wrong).

My parents will pre microwave their potatoes to get them started and then finish them off in the oven if they are in a hurry. Not quite the same as full baked but better than fully nuked.

Ok now I want baked potatoes. Never tried to oil them and am interested to try!

"It takes forever to cook a baked potato in a conventional oven. Sometimes, I'll just throw one in there even if I don't want one. By the time it's done, who knows?" - Mitch Hedberg

Reactions: RabbitLuvr
Baked potatoes are really good when they are left-over...the whole texture changes...I like them.

Baked potatoes are really good when they are left-over...the whole texture changes...I like them.

For sure! If I am bothering to have the oven on long enough to bake potatoes anyways, I will usually do a whole bunch at once. Throw the extras in the fridge and they make amazing pan fries the next morning- just add some nice seasoning like rosemary and thyme....yummy!!

Reactions: sallyomally
I nuked them until they're pretty much cooked through and then I shove them in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. It's a lot quicker.

I do the scrub, fork, oil and salt (I don't like pepper) before I put them in the microwave.

Sometimes I might do them in tin foil in the oven if I fancy a softer skin.

I nuked them until they're pretty much cooked through and then I shove them in a pre-heated oven for 15 minutes or so to crisp up the skin. It's a lot quicker.

I do the scrub, fork, oil and salt (I don't like pepper) before I put them in the microwave.

Sometimes I might do them in tin foil in the oven if I fancy a softer skin.

I was just about to ask if anyone other than me does microwave first then finish off in the oven lol. Glad someone else does xxx

I haven't cooked a baked potato in years. But my sister told me this method. I'm reciting it from memory, so I'm not sure it is correct.

Wash and scrub potato. Then pierce multiple times with a fork.

Place on a microwave-safe dish. Place in the microwave and nuke for 6 minutes.

Remove from microwave. Wrap in aluminum foil.* Wait another 6 minutes. Unwrap and eat.

*This step usually requires a set of tongs or something to handle the potato so you don't burn your hands.

It's potato season in the north and they are dirt cheap right now so I'll be trying out a lot of these ideas. :up: