pflanzenfresser

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan
Hi dear Vegan community!

This week I had a doctor appointment to discuss my B12 deficiency. She gave me a Liquid containing 1000mcg Methylcobalamin per ml and told me to take 3ml (3000mcg) per day for the first two weeks and then continue taking 1ml (1000mcg) per day.
As the DGE (Germany's national institute for nutrition) suggests 3mcg per day for adults I'm getting a bit sceptical (3000mcg per day is 1000 times the suggested intake of the DGE!?) .
I was thinking about maybe it's Methylcobalamin-specific but still it seems very high to me.

Does anyone have experience with Methylcobalamin-Liquid? How much do you take?

Thanks in advance!

- Pflanzenfresser

P.S.: The liquid I have is from Pure Encapsulations.

I dunno I have never had a deficiency. I've never had to take B12 more than once a week. Occasionally I'll take it more often if I have been drinking, and sometimes I forget for a couple of weeks, but it's in the soy milk I buy.

I have never been deficient in anything. A way to avoid it is to get a good vegan multi to take occasionally not daily. Also using flax or walnuts routinely helps with omega 3.

If this is a serious problem and you really need this much you might want to consider the B12 shot.

Thanks for your responses and the link @mavrick45

Yeah taking more due to my deficiency seems legit, but my doc told me to take 1000mcg per day like forever after the first two weeks. And this seems like way too much to me.

My doc saw no real reason for the shot, I was asking about that option too, but thank you @Forest Nymph!

Reactions: Forest Nymph
It is way too much.

But for most people who develop a B12 deficiency, it's not because they don't ingest enough B12. It is because their bodies don't absorb enough. (the exception being people who are malnourished).

I would follow your doctor's advice. When you see her again, ask her about it. She will probably also give you a blood test and change the dosage if you have responded well to the treatment.

I think she probably over-reacted. but its one of those things where it doesn't hurt to err on the side of caution.

There is nothing to worry about taking massive doses. Excess B12 is easily stored in the liver. And then if necessary its water soluble and will be excreted. The only side effect I've ever heard of from taking too much B12 was acne. It shouldn't even hurt your pocketbook. I'd be surprised if it is costing you much. Maybe 50¢ a day?

It might be one of those things where it is cheaper to have you take too much for a few months and not get a blood test every month. Also unless you are malnourished there is probably a good case that smaller doses wouldn't do the job.

I'm not sure but I think the most effective technique is to take the 1ml dose, 3 x a day. with meals. It might say in the directions.

I might be wrong, but isn't the reason why the dose is so high because it isn't all absorbed?

From Dr. Greger:

"For those mathematically-minded who are thinking, wait a sec. If you only need 4 to 7 micrograms a day, why do you have to take 2500 a week? Well, it’s a little complicated, but let’s do it. Our B12 receptors become saturated at as little as 1.5. So we can only absorb 1.5 at a time through our receptor system. But about 1% of the rest passively diffuses right through our gut into our bloodstream.

So, for those of you into this kind of thing, let’s do the math. When we take a 2500 microgram dose, we absorb 1.5 through our receptor system, and then 1% of the 2498.5 that’s left. So, inside our body, we now have 1.5 plus that 1%. That comes out to be about 26.5. You do that once a week, and that averages to about 4 micrograms a day. So, we should take at least 2500 micrograms once a week. We could take 3000 a week; 5000. If you take too much, all you get is expensive pee. And at a couple of bucks a year, it’s not even that expensive."

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/cheapest-source-of-vitamin-b12/

You could also try B12 toothpaste... I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0799HHLC2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how I found out about it:
(he's a huge follower of Dr. Greger)

Last edited:
I might be wrong, but isn't the reason why the dose is so high because it isn't all absorbed?

From Dr. Greger:

"For those mathematically-minded who are thinking, wait a sec. If you only need 4 to 7 micrograms a day, why do you have to take 2500 a week? Well, it’s a little complicated, but let’s do it. Our B12 receptors become saturated at as little as 1.5. So we can only absorb 1.5 at a time through our receptor system. But about 1% of the rest passively diffuses right through our gut into our bloodstream.

So, for those of you into this kind of thing, let’s do the math. When we take a 2500 microgram dose, we absorb 1.5 through our receptor system, and then 1% of the 2498.5 that’s left. So, inside our body, we now have 1.5 plus that 1%. That comes out to be about 26.5. You do that once a week, and that averages to about 4 micrograms a day. So, we should take at least 2500 micrograms once a week. We could take 3000 a week; 5000. If you take too much, all you get is expensive pee. And at a couple of bucks a year, it’s not even that expensive."

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/cheapest-source-of-vitamin-b12/

You could also try B12 toothpaste... I use this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0799HHLC2/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is how I found out about it:
(he's a huge follower of Dr. Greger)

I love Footsoldier he's very entertaining.

Reactions: TofuRobot
So I was a little surprised about that info from Dr. Gregar and went back and watched the other videos in the series.

So the thing is that those receptors that get saturated take about 4 - 6 hours to clear. So if you take 1 or 2 mcg every 4 - 6 hours you can get all the B12 you need. Fortified foods and maybe a multi can easily do this.

If you don't like fortified foods or multis, the other path is to somehow get up to about 2500 mcg a week. I just spent a few minutes looking thru Amazon and maybe the cheapest is to take a 500 mcg every day. And that would be about $3 a month.

I am pretty sure I saw a 10,000 mcg pill at the dollar store. I think there were 4 pills per pack. And a dollar a pack. but it might have been 10,000%. so many zeros. i get confused. Would you just have to take one pill every other month or so? Heck, even if you took one a week, it would just be $1/mo.

I just finished my multis and haven't re-ordered. I have sort of convinced myself I don't need to take them. But they were cheap and I still might buy some more cause its cheap insurance. And... i probably don't get my B12 without them. Plus i see my Dr in January - maybe now is not the time to make changes.

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/daily-source-of-vitamin-b12/

@Lou - I have been using that toothpaste since about the middle of July, and I've been vegan for since August of last year. I don't recall having ever tested low on B12 in the past, just a tad low on Vit D once. I rarely go to the doctor (I really only go if I'm sick - the last time I had a complete physical was probably 3 yrs ago), but I have an appt the last week of January, so I'll be interested in how I test for B12 now. I'll check back and and let y'all know. (My guess is that I'll be fine, knowing that it takes 2-7 yrs for a deficiency to present itself anyway.)

Thank you guys for the very informative answers & videos about the B12 science! I did not know about the low absorption rate, knowing this the 1000mcg per day don't look that high anymore. It seems like following the doc's advice is the way to go.

But for most people who develop a B12 deficiency, it's not because they don't ingest enough B12. It is because their bodies don't absorb enough. (the exception being people who are malnourished).
I really think for me it is because I did not ingest enough over the last two years. In my naivety I thought that maybe if I don't care about it, it still magically works out somehow.

You could also try B12 toothpaste...
I'll keep that in mind for when I run out, thanks! And Malibu Mint sounds nice btw.

Wish y'all relaxing days off, a Merry Christmas and a nice and tasty vegan 2019.

I usually buy Trader Joe's light vanilla soy milk. But the other day I needed soy milk and the store I was in only had Light Vanilla from Silk. Interestingly since I last looked Silk has more than doubled the dose of B12 in a glass to 3 mcg (130% RDA). You probably still need two glasses a day. and maybe most people won't realize that. but still....

I have vitamin B12 deficiency, I have never experienced this liquid supplements. Instead I use regularly the vitamin 12 vape pen. It is the vaporized vitamin consumes by the body instantly. It is nicotine free, good for the body and also recommended by the doctor for the B12 deficient people, mainly the vegan who can't eat animal based food.

Reactions: Lou