How do you get your calcium?

We have to be careful what we eat with our calcium too because certain other foods can inhibit the absorption, such as tea and coffee. I've gone down to having one cup of coffee a day midway between breakfast and lunch
It really is a pain in the ***. I love having a cup of tea after each meal. I also try to balance protein, calcium, and iron along with something rich in Vitamin C (to increase iron absorption) in each meal. I hate to think that all my tea drinking just erases all the nutrients I just consumed. I read that herbal teas are safe so I've switched to drinking those instead of black teas or coffee.

Seriously. I do not want yo give up tea and coffee. And of course, I like strong black teas and Roobios, not really into herbals.

:yes: I don't want to give up my Chai. I think it's safe to drink it 2-3 hours after a meal, but I like to drink tea right after a meal. A cup of tea has replaced my after meal cigarette since I gave up smoking 2 + years ago.

Reactions: PTree15
:yes: I don't want to give up my Chai. I think it's safe to drink it 2-3 hours after a meal, but I like to drink tea right after a meal. A cup of tea has replaced my after meal cigarette since I gave up smoking 2 + years ago.

According to the following link you should not absorb caffeine 30 minutes prior or after a meal. I think that it is wise to have a little of what we enjoy in moderation. I'm certainly not going to give up my daily morning cup of coffee as it is my favourite drink of the day.:p

http://www.livestrong.com/article/244312-coffee-and-calcium-absorption/

I get mine from dark green leafy vegetables, nuts, beans, tofu and fortified almond and soy milk (in smoothies, mostly). I also take a calcium powder supplement a couple of times a week. I add it to smoothies.

I'm not giving up my tea, either. :D. I like it with fruit in the morning, or after a meal at night.

According to the following link you should not absorb caffeine 30 minutes prior or after a meal. I think that it is wise to have a little of what we enjoy in moderation. I'm certainly not going to give up my daily morning cup of coffee as it is my favourite drink of the day.:p

My morning coffee is my favourite drink of the day too :). I went to decafe for a while but have returned to caffeinated. Since reading this though, I've been trying to drink my morning coffee and eat my breakfast 30min apart. Pretty easy to do, and if it makes a difference that's good.

I might try moving to decafe again if I can find one I like.