How do you REALLY feel?

You misunderstand my point.
I meant why does it feel like you have to become a biologist/nutritionist to eat a correct and healthy vegan diet?
I NEVER considered what I was eating when I was Omni and never had any health issues.
Not looking for any excuses, or actually advice really, I was just curious if everyone else is feeling as great as we are told we should feel eating WFPB.
If you're aware of wfpb diets than why do you feel it's hard?

Few consider what they eat when omni because it's been the accepted norm and pushed as being good for your health, as was cigarettes, and at one time even mercury. The idea that you didn't have health issues isn't proof of anything, many smokers feel fine until they quit, and come down with lung problems

I looked at your instagram and it's really full of vegan and AR clips, but not much devoted to health.

In the US being vegan is still considered extreme, but people are increasing becoming aware of plant based diets being the best for health

If you're aware of wfpb diets than why do you feel it's hard?

Few consider what they eat when omni because it's been the accepted norm and pushed as being good for your health, as was cigarettes, and at one time even mercury. The idea that you didn't have health issues isn't proof of anything, many smokers feel fine until they quit, and come down with lung problems

I looked at your instagram and it's really full of vegan and AR clips, but not much devoted to health.

In the US being vegan is still considered extreme, but people are increasing becoming aware of plant based diets being the best for health

Because it seems that heavy supplementation is needed for optimum health, which I think someone considering a WFPB diet, if based on health would find off putting.
I would say that around a third of what I post is health related and have only recently come to the realisation that health benefits are probably the main selling point to vegan curious people.
I personally came to veganism because of Gary Yourovsky and unsanctioned/undercover abbatoir footage.
Again, I was simply interested if everyone else was feeling great, eating WFPB.
Do You?
You have never really answered that question apart from telling me you put a lot of weight on from baked goods etc.

I will say that even eating processed foods, sugar and oil, my digestion is better, my cholesterol levels improved. Going dairy free improved my asthma, and arthritis

Sticking to the daily dozen wfpb diet I was able to eliminate allergy meds, close to eliminating asthma but didn't stay true long enough, and my endurance was phenomenally improved! No swelling of joints, no pain. Digestion -no issues.

Yes, I feel good eating vegan, fabulous eating wfpb!

Who says you need to supplement beyond B12? You say you eat according to Dr Gregors plan, but that is literally the only thing he recommends due to being plant based. He suggests D and algael Dha/epa, D is suggested for literally everyone, and dha for anyone not consuming fish- those are not wfpb related!

Again I believed that eating plants was anti inflammatory.
Agree about ageing, but again everything I heard regarding a WFPB diet was going to be beneficial re the ageing process. Not just extending years but aiding quality of life.

Frankly, aging sucks. It just does. I know there's a much more subtle change for men than the hit-you-in-the-gut-omg-you're-old experience that is "the change" for women, but we all end up "over the hill," if we're lucky :rolleyes:. I've found the experience to be disappointing, to say the least.

And while I hate to be a party pooper, alcohol is inflammatory according to most of the articles I've read. Perhaps you could try a period of time without your nightly dinner beer to see if that has any positive affect. I personally wouldn't relish aging without lubrication, but I'm sure it works for some. :)

Agree about ageing, but again everything I heard regarding a WFPB diet was going to be beneficial re the ageing process. Not just extending years but aiding quality of life.
The only way you would ever know whether diet (or anything else) makes a difference for you would be if you could live two parallel lives, one in which you eat plant based, one in which you don't.

Maybe the plant based diet isn't helping you. Maybe it is and you would be feeling worse on an omni diet. There's really no way of knowing for sure.

The point I'm trying to make is that people place too much emphasis on diet. There's evidence that a healthy plant based diet reduces risk for certain types of cancer and certain types of cardio vascular problems, but it's just that - reduction, not elimination, of risk.

There are just so many factors that determine whether one ends up with any given health condition - everything from genetic predisposition to any number of environmental factors to lifestyle. Diet is just one small part of that.

Reactions: Poppy
I guess I would ask why you feel it is so very complicated to eat a plant based diet? As an adult, I realized that, to eat a healthy diet, I needed to eat a combination of assorted vegetables, some protein, a bit of fruit and grains, and minimize my intake of fats, sugars and refined grains. When I cut out meat, I just substituted other protein. When I cut out dairy and eggs, I had to learn a new way of baking desserts, but other than that, it wasn't complicated.

I do take vitamin B12 when I remember, which is not often (I do use plant milks which are supplemented with B12, and use nutritional yeast (a brand supplemented with B12) in a lot of the food I cook.)

I've been veg*n for about thirty years, and I an about as physically healthy as any 62 year old you're likely to meet. Some achy joints when there's a big shift in weather. I did get the flu this year, for the first time in decades. The last time I had a head cold was about fifteen years ago. Menopause was a breeze for me - not a single hot flash.

I have no way of knowing whether I would be less healthy if I ate an omni diet. I do know I couldn't be more healthy.

Reactions: PTree15
Yes, I feel good eating vegan, fabulous eating wfpb!

Who says you need to supplement beyond B12? You say you eat according to Dr Gregors plan, but that is literally the only thing he recommends due to being plant based. He suggests D and algael Dha/epa, D is suggested for literally everyone, and dha for anyone not consuming fish- those are not wfpb related!

Must say, that you come across as very ****** off.
One of those didactic vegans that most people find so objectionable.
Your very first line of reply to my post was critical, yes I do share my land of birth with that of the Bard, but I'm no Shakespeare, humble apologies for that.

Why are suggestions made for D and Dha/epa if the WFPB diet is so comprehensively nutritious?
I'm not looking for elite level fitness, just to feel well and able and free of constant stomach aches, joint pains and general lethargy.

I'm really glad that a WFPB diet works for you, just a shame that you don't seem to have the discipline to habitually follow it yourself, we humans are slaves to our weaknesses.
My experience appears to differ from yours and I have never felt so bad eating this way, I appreciate that our body's would probably need a period of time to adapt, but at 2 1/2 years in I'm still struggling.
However my resolve is strong. I will never eat farmed land animals again.
I will try with algael Dha/epa rather than eating some fish, I am opened minded.
I spend extended periods outside virtually everyday so would be surprised if I'm D deficient, but again will give it a go.
Thanks for your input.

Frankly, aging sucks. It just does. I know there's a much more subtle change for men than the hit-you-in-the-gut-omg-you're-old experience that is "the change" for women, but we all end up "over the hill," if we're lucky :rolleyes:. I've found the experience to be disappointing, to say the least.

And while I hate to be a party pooper, alcohol is inflammatory according to most of the articles I've read. Perhaps you could try a period of time without your nightly dinner beer to see if that has any positive affect. I personally wouldn't relish aging without lubrication, but I'm sure it works for some. :)

Thanks Poppy,
Must say that if this is only the start of things then I'm dreading my 60's, 70's hopefully 80's etc.
I guess being active all my life, having physical non office based jobs, enjoying the outdoors, having quite a disciplined approach to most things, everything in moderation and comparing myself to my family, I thought I was gonna slip it middle age with no problems.
Then reality comes and kicks you in the arse when you least expect it.
I have no real tolerance for alcohol in quantity, so never drink to excess, literally 1 small bottle with my evening meal, sometimes a glass of wine at weekends. It's just a small pleasure. Again if that was causing problems I'd be very shocked. I suppose the only sure fire way of finding out if anything I'm ingesting is causing problems is with an elimination diet.
Guess that's what I'll try over the coming weeks.
Appreciate the feedback.

Reactions: Poppy
I guess I would ask why you feel it is so very complicated to eat a plant based diet? As an adult, I realized that, to eat a healthy diet, I needed to eat a combination of assorted vegetables, some protein, a bit of fruit and grains, and minimize my intake of fats, sugars and refined grains. When I cut out meat, I just substituted other protein. When I cut out dairy and eggs, I had to learn a new way of baking desserts, but other than that, it wasn't complicated.

I do take vitamin B12 when I remember, which is not often (I do use plant milks which are supplemented with B12, and use nutritional yeast (a brand supplemented with B12) in a lot of the food I cook.)

I've been veg*n for about thirty years, and I an about as physically healthy as any 62 year old you're likely to meet. Some achy joints when there's a big shift in weather. I did get the flu this year, for the first time in decades. The last time I had a head cold was about fifteen years ago. Menopause was a breeze for me - not a single hot flash.

I have no way of knowing whether I would be less healthy if I ate an omni diet. I do know I couldn't be more healthy.

Thanks Mischief, you're absolutely right about the parallel lives, one simply doesn't know, that's why I've been considering the fish and eggs.
My concern about how complicated the diet is, probably comes from the seemingly constant talk of supplements I come across on social media, podcasts etc. as well as the endless talk about how bad soya/gluten/wheat/rice(arsenic)/spinach(too much is bad)/(goitrogenic) cruciferous vegetables are for us or the benefits of things like adaptogens are.
I will listen to say a Rich Roll podcast not knowing what to think anymore.
I think I'm safe in saying that we all want to be the best versions of ourselves, I know I do, but I'm more than willing to downgrade that expectation ever so slightly by indulging in an occasional treat,
But if that occasional treat is affecting me so negatively and the diametric opposite of that is to supplement heavily, I question the validity of everything I've been informed about the WFPB diet.
I am a commited vegan, I gave up a healthy regular income to become one, please don't doubt me on that. I'm just very disappointed that any health benefits that I thought were coming my way, never materialised and in fact feel much worse than I did prior to going vegan.
I think it's brilliant that you seem to be thriving eating the way you do, people like yourself are only good for the movement.
Keep up the good work!

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
Must say, that you come across as very ****** off.
One of those didactic vegans that most people find so objectionable.
Your very first line of reply to my post was critical, yes I do share my land of birth with that of the Bard, but I'm no Shakespeare, humble apologies for that.

Why are suggestions made for D and Dha/epa if the WFPB diet is so comprehensively nutritious?
I'm not looking for elite level fitness, just to feel well and able and free of constant stomach aches, joint pains and general lethargy.

I'm really glad that a WFPB diet works for you, just a shame that you don't seem to have the discipline to habitually follow it yourself, we humans are slaves to our weaknesses.
My experience appears to differ from yours and I have never felt so bad eating this way, I appreciate that our body's would probably need a period of time to adapt, but at 2 1/2 years in I'm still struggling.
However my resolve is strong. I will never eat farmed land animals again.
I will try with algael Dha/epa rather than eating some fish, I am opened minded.
I spend extended periods outside virtually everyday so would be surprised if I'm D deficient, but again will give it a go.
Thanks for your input.
Well, you write a lengthy, defensive OP about how much a vegan you are, the sacrifice, the activism....But you're not even sold on it yourself.
You continue to dismiss the points I've brought up about what plant based is and isn't. You keep insisting you follow Dr Greger and others in the field of nutrition and medicine, but you don't seem to have a clue-or maybe just don't believe their credencials and well documented research since your "concern about how complicated the diet is, probably comes from the seemingly constant talk of supplements I come across on social media, podcasts etc. as well as the endless talk about how bad soya/gluten/wheat/rice(arsenic)/spinach(too much is bad)/(goitrogenic) cruciferous vegetables are for us or the benefits of things like adaptogens are."
You're free to do whatever you want to do, you don't need anyones permission, no ones is going to give you their blessings and say 'oh there there, at least you tried".

You keep insisting eating plant based is complicated, need supplementation-yet you also insist you follow the daily dozen- which is the simpliest, most nutrient dense way of eating you could possibly ask for!
Then you insist vegans need supplements- which any plant based doctor, and I, will tell you all you need is B12. Vitamin d I was quite clear, is recommended for everyone, and dha/epa for anyone not eating a diet high in sea vegetables/animals. You now have hypothyroid, do you think quitting meat caused that?

Yeah, this thread does rather **** me off, and it isn't because you're questioning eating fish or eggs. It's your insistence on going against everything that's leading health and medicine. Frankly, you don't sound as if you've researched much at all.
What Mischief meant by parallel worlds wasn't to try and incorporate fish and egg and see how you feel, but if it were possible to have both situations exist in parallel. I'd bet you would feel better, and not because of some magic but the mind set you seem set on.
I don't even think I understand what it is you really want here. Do you think we're all just kidding ourselves(and when I say "all" I mean the vegan/plant based crowd), when we exclaim how much better we feel? Why do think there's an entire movement that couldn't care less about animals that shuns them and their products for food?
I can be quite the junk food vegan, and without taking anything other than b12 feel, and test, very well. In fact all you'd have to do is look through our pages of health based forums to see that we do feel just fine

Maybe you need to come to terms that diet doesn't cure everything.

Reactions: PTree15
Thanks Mischief, you're absolutely right about the parallel lives, one simply doesn't know, that's why I've been considering the fish and eggs.
My concern about how complicated the diet is, probably comes from the seemingly constant talk of supplements I come across on social media, podcasts etc. as well as the endless talk about how bad soya/gluten/wheat/rice(arsenic)/spinach(too much is bad)/(goitrogenic) cruciferous vegetables are for us or the benefits of things like adaptogens are.
I will listen to say a Rich Roll podcast not knowing what to think anymore.
I think I'm safe in saying that we all want to be the best versions of ourselves, I know I do, but I'm more than willing to downgrade that expectation ever so slightly by indulging in an occasional treat,
But if that occasional treat is affecting me so negatively and the diametric opposite of that is to supplement heavily, I question the validity of everything I've been informed about the WFPB diet.
I am a commited vegan, I gave up a healthy regular income to become one, please don't doubt me on that. I'm just very disappointed that any health benefits that I thought were coming my way, never materialised and in fact feel much worse than I did prior to going vegan.
I think it's brilliant that you seem to be thriving eating the way you do, people like yourself are only good for the movement.
Keep up the good work!

I think you missed my point, which is this:

A vegan diet is only as complicated as you choose to make it. Do what you did before you went plant based, just substitute plant based proteins for the meat, and supplement with B12. That's it. That's all.

If you want complications in diet, you can find them as easily among those promoting an omni diet as among the plant based crowd - paleo, Mediterranean, the one that promotes putting yourself into kidney failure, etc. The list goes on and on, and that's not even mentioning the people peddling every supplement under the sun.

Hello,
Not much of a contributor to this forum but as it's the first day of a new year thought I'd ask this question.
I'm an ethical vegan of 2 years and 7 months.
My personal activism is my instagram account, over 600 posts mostly about veganism, just reposts really, but trying to do my bit. My sister in law said to me the other day that she is gonna give Veganuary a go because of my instagram activism, which I was bowled over by. Her dad worked in the meat market so it is a big thing for her.
However, I've just seen a post about how you can cure/improve digestive issues on a vegan diet, which I had to comment on because my digestive problems only started when I went vegan.
Prior to that I considered myself having a cast-iron constitution.
I'm an active self employed dog daycarer/walker/boarder and part time gardener(1 day a week).
4 days a week I walk at least 10 miles with the dogs and the 5th day gardening is literally spent on my feet for 8 hours(I even take the dogs along and walk them at lunch time). Been doing this for the last 10 years.
I'm 51, 5'11" 70kg.
Family history of hyper tension(mine has always been borderline, not needing medication).
I also had a thriving online handmade leather items business which I closed down, when I made the shift, which was the hardest thing to do.
6 months into veganism, I was worried about discolouration and swelling of one of my ankles when I spent a long time on my feet, which because of my work was virtually everyday.
A friend mentioned diabetes so I spoke to my GP, had blood tests done, which came back negative for Diabetes but I was told that I had Hypothyroidism and would need to take the synthetic thyroid hormone, thyroxine for the rest of my life, which all came as a bit of a shock.
I had been waiting for the perceived energy boost and general well being that came hand in hand with adopting the vegan diet, but it never happened and now I had been diagnosed as having a life long chronic illness.
I did ask if veganism had caused the hypothyroidism and was told no, but if I'm honest a nagging doubt remains, as I keep on reading about the negatives of soya on thyroid health.
I cook 85% of my food from scratch, don't really like any of the vegan processed stuff I've tried.
I love the diet, and have embraced cooking properly, to the point it has become a passion.
I do use oil and plant based butter as well as salt and drink a beer with my evening meal as I have always done.
Pretty sure I cover all the bases, nutrient wise.
I supplement with B12 and take a tablespoon of ground flaxseed on my oatmeal most mornings.
I follow all the usual suspects on social media and have recently been aware that a few of the main protagonists have been mentioning digestive issues.
I've also been seeing quite a few vegans turning away from the diet because of health problems, although they do mostly seem to be the extremists, who have tried all the various forms of a PBD.
I replied on the instagram post about correcting digestive problems, that my problems only started with veganism and that if I had adopted a plant based diet for health reasons, I probably would have gone back to eating meat by now.
I have tried digestive enzymes and am now trying celery juice, recommended by that Medical Medium bloke(who I think is probably a shill, but I thought for the sake of 50p a day outlay, I might as well give it a go).
What I would really like to know is how do YOU honestly feel eating a plant based diet?
Apart from the digestive issues and hypothyroidism, my hypertension has not improved as expected.
In all honesty I would say my energy is reduced and I feel that I have lost some muscle mass and strength, my weight has remained the same, belly has got somewhat wider.
I was a keen weekend cyclist (not competitive) and saw my performance drop as well.
In the last 6 months I have noticed my joints becoming stiffer and sore, I feel like an old man in the mornings. My leg muscles feel constantly tight, just like they used to after a heavy work out, years ago.
Being concerned, I mentioned all this to my GP when I had to have my yearly blood test for the Hypothyroidism.
I was concerned that perhaps I was having absorption issues.
Results came back everything OK.
I guess, I would just like some honest feedback.
We would all love for the rest of the world to go vegan and use everything in our arsenal to convince people to see the light.
I've actually been considering eating some fish or maybe getting some eggs from my local city farm, just to see if anything is different, even though I've heard all there is to know about toxins and cholesterol.
I wonder if there is something almost magical about meat, eggs and dairy in very small quantities as consumed by the people that live in the Blue zones.
I listen to the vegan podcasts and hear the experts telling me that the data is all there and anything that says that meat, eggs and dairy is good for us is funded by those industries.
I realise that saying anything negative about the vegan diet is pretty much sacrilege, especially on a vegan forum, but I'd really appreciate some honest feedback.
For your information I'm not an investigative reporter or meat eating shill looking to refute veganism.
My Instagram handle is simopco if you'd like to confirm and send me a dm.
Thanks for reading, look forward to any replies.
I've been vegan going on 12 years (vegetarian for many years before that), and I can honestly say I feel tons better on a plant-based diet, in both mind and body. Unbeknownst to me, I was likely lactose intolerant, so when I ditched dairy, a lot of my stomach/digestive issues disappeared. I'm 57 and exercise regularly and maintain a normal weight. Hiking/walking is my main form of exercise. I try to do weight-bearing exercises as well, but I confess to being a cardio junkie. I try to eat whole foods most of the time (I make my own seitan and other forms of protein), but I have my processed-food vices like most people (vegan cheese, etc). Moderation has always been the key for me. I keep tabs on the refined carbs and sugar. When I eat less of those, I feel better and have way more energy. The only supplement I take is B12 and maybe D in the winter, as we don't get a lot sun in my neck of the woods in the U.S. (New England). I eat a lot of vegetables, especially green leafy ones. I love them all, and I think they are full of nutritional goodness. I also eat a lot of legumes, grains and fruit, though I limit the latter to a serving or two a day. My body doesn't like a lot of fruit at once. :D

Aging is a challenge, I won't lie. I have more aches and pains than I did when I was younger, which I chalk up to my being 57. I had to give up running because it bothered my hip/thigh. I gave up bowling because I had awful tendinitis in my elbow. So one simply has to adjust and find something else to replace other activities that age might not let one do. Sometimes I can't work out six days a week because I've tweaked my back or my bum knee acts up. I just wait until that discomfort subsides and get back at it. I think keeping active is very important not only for physical health but also for mental health. Exercise is a big stress-reliever for me. I keep doing all of this so that I can continue doing the activities I enjoy, like hiking and cycling. Losing muscle mass and strength and gaining weight without changing a thing in your diet are consequences of aging. It's why athletes have to retire when they reach a certain age because their performance naturally declines with age. I've read that after age 45, one can gain 5 pounds a year without changing a thing in his or her diet or exercise regimen. Also, the body changes as we age. I've noticed my weight has shifted around and I've gotten thicker in the middle even though my weight hasn't changed all that much.

I started out as a health-based vegetarian, but learning about the atrocities of the dairy and egg industries made me much more aware of the horrors suffered by animals just so humans can please their tastebuds. For me, it's now all about the animals, and it has been for a while. I feel lighter in mind, body and spirit. Health benefits are a bonus. I could not imagine having to go back to eating animals. It would crush my spirit big-time.

With regard to your health issues, diet is not a cure-all. I've known both veg*ns and non-veg*ans who've suffered from cancer, diabetes and other diseases/conditions. What a healthy diet does do is perhaps help reduce the risk of getting these diseases.
There are other lifestyle and environmental issues out of our control that can contribute to ill health. I don't want to sound preachy, but having a daily beer plus wine on the weekends would be considered overindulging by many health professionals. (Mind you, I love a beer or two or a glass of wine as well). Your hypertension might improve by reducing the alcohol intake. My dad has high blood pressure and gave up drinking years ago. He also watches his salt intake and eats close to a WFPB diet but still has to take medication. However, his dosage is on the lower end and he figures it's because he does try to pay attention to his diet. He is 83 and walks a mile or two every day. The bottom line is we have to work harder to maintain good health as we age.

I don't want to be too nosy about your digestive issues, but if it's heartburn or the like, you could reduce your intake of acidic and spicy foods (citrus, tomato-based foods, hot sauce, peppers, onions, garlic etc.) to see whether that helps. Also, reducing caffeine and alcohol can help with that. Beer can cause indigestion for sure. Have you also considered that you might have an allergy or a bad reaction to certain foods? It may be that the source of your discomfort is just one or two foods. For instance, for some reason, green peppers had been giving me problems a while back. I used to eat a ton of them, but I've cut way back and now I can have them occasionally and not suffer any ill effects. Our bodies can change over time and foods that once were OK can become problems as we age. My mother (she is 77) had to give up red wine because it made her heart race. She now drinks white wine instead, and it's fine for her.

If you are having inflammation issues, information abounds about foods to avoid to help control/reduce it. My mom has had this issue and has greatly reduced her dairy intake, and she has noticed some improvement. Some people reduce gluten and find that it helps with inflammation (this is the case for one of my friends). You might have to do a little work to determine what you might need to do to improve your digestive issues. I honestly find it difficult to believe that going back to meat and eggs would improve digestion, as meat is generally one of the most difficult things to digest.

Reactions: Val
I apologize for not being clear enough about the reason for my attitude. You have posted a lengthy post detailing how strictly committed you've been to push ethical veganism, even to reiterate how much you've sacrificed in your goal of saving animals. Post after post that animals are friends not food. Humane killing is still killing. Animals are not ours to use. Then, you go on about how as much as it pains you, maybe there is a good reason to be eating them and using them? You insist you've researched nutrition, but you go on to say you're still questioned so much debunked quackery.
And you've done this both in this forum, as well as the other- that has far more new and questioning people.
It's really very much the same hyprocrisy as someone who an activist to ban abortion, no exceptions, so wrong--then is found to be planning one herself because birth control didn't agree with her system

What I'm trying to get across, and afraid I'm not doing very well, is that seems you were a very implusive, very emotional new vegan who truly believed and wanted to believe their own propaganda, but is now looking for an excuse. There is no reason in your question on vegan health for anyone to know about how much you've sacrificed, or your need to defend your decision. You've provided no reason for why you think eggs or fish may help your problem. You have been reasons why they would be detrimental!

I've seen this story played out time and again, very much in the other forum. Unless someone is truly informed and deliberate in their knowledge they really shouldn't try and convert anyone else. It does far more harm than good.

I apologize for not being clear enough about the reason for my attitude. You have posted a lengthy post detailing how strictly committed you've been to push ethical veganism, even to reiterate how much you've sacrificed in your goal of saving animals. Post after post that animals are friends not food. Humane killing is still killing. Animals are not ours to use. Then, you go on about how as much as it pains you, maybe there is a good reason to be eating them and using them? You insist you've researched nutrition, but you go on to say you're still questioned so much debunked quackery.
And you've done this both in this forum, as well as the other- that has far more new and questioning people.
It's really very much the same hyprocrisy as someone who an activist to ban abortion, no exceptions, so wrong--then is found to be planning one herself because birth control didn't agree with her system

What I'm trying to get across, and afraid I'm not doing very well, is that seems you were a very implusive, very emotional new vegan who truly believed and wanted to believe their own propaganda, but is now looking for an excuse. There is no reason in your question on vegan health for anyone to know about how much you've sacrificed, or your need to defend your decision. You've provided no reason for why you think eggs or fish may help your problem. You have been reasons why they would be detrimental!

I've seen this story played out time and again, very much in the other forum. Unless someone is truly informed and deliberate in their knowledge they really shouldn't try and convert anyone else. It does far more harm than good.

So much judgement, so many assumptions, so much anger, so little compassion or understanding, so much disbelief, so many accusations in reply to a simple question asking how everyone feels, from someone you don't know, are never likely to meet, who lives thousands of miles away.
Unlike yourself, posting on Forums isn't something I do and was done from a place of desperation.
All other replies have been civil and given in the same spirit the question was asked.
I certainly wasn't looking for anyone's blessing in my consideration of eating fish or eggs.
It seems you (and Dr Gregor) have all the answers, have you ever considered that we are not all the same?
I hope you solve your own problems.
Light and Love my friend,
Light and Love.

I've been vegan going on 12 years (vegetarian for many years before that), and I can honestly say I feel tons better on a plant-based diet, in both mind and body. Unbeknownst to me, I was likely lactose intolerant, so when I ditched dairy, a lot of my stomach/digestive issues disappeared. I'm 57 and exercise regularly and maintain a normal weight. Hiking/walking is my main form of exercise. I try to do weight-bearing exercises as well, but I confess to being a cardio junkie. I try to eat whole foods most of the time (I make my own seitan and other forms of protein), but I have my processed-food vices like most people (vegan cheese, etc). Moderation has always been the key for me. I keep tabs on the refined carbs and sugar. When I eat less of those, I feel better and have way more energy. The only supplement I take is B12 and maybe D in the winter, as we don't get a lot sun in my neck of the woods in the U.S. (New England). I eat a lot of vegetables, especially green leafy ones. I love them all, and I think they are full of nutritional goodness. I also eat a lot of legumes, grains and fruit, though I limit the latter to a serving or two a day. My body doesn't like a lot of fruit at once. :D

Aging is a challenge, I won't lie. I have more aches and pains than I did when I was younger, which I chalk up to my being 57. I had to give up running because it bothered my hip/thigh. I gave up bowling because I had awful tendinitis in my elbow. So one simply has to adjust and find something else to replace other activities that age might not let one do. Sometimes I can't work out six days a week because I've tweaked my back or my bum knee acts up. I just wait until that discomfort subsides and get back at it. I think keeping active is very important not only for physical health but also for mental health. Exercise is a big stress-reliever for me. I keep doing all of this so that I can continue doing the activities I enjoy, like hiking and cycling. Losing muscle mass and strength and gaining weight without changing a thing in your diet are consequences of aging. It's why athletes have to retire when they reach a certain age because their performance naturally declines with age. I've read that after age 45, one can gain 5 pounds a year without changing a thing in his or her diet or exercise regimen. Also, the body changes as we age. I've noticed my weight has shifted around and I've gotten thicker in the middle even though my weight hasn't changed all that much.

I started out as a health-based vegetarian, but learning about the atrocities of the dairy and egg industries made me much more aware of the horrors suffered by animals just so humans can please their tastebuds. For me, it's now all about the animals, and it has been for a while. I feel lighter in mind, body and spirit. Health benefits are a bonus. I could not imagine having to go back to eating animals. It would crush my spirit big-time.

With regard to your health issues, diet is not a cure-all. I've known both veg*ns and non-veg*ans who've suffered from cancer, diabetes and other diseases/conditions. What a healthy diet does do is perhaps help reduce the risk of getting these diseases.
There are other lifestyle and environmental issues out of our control that can contribute to ill health. I don't want to sound preachy, but having a daily beer plus wine on the weekends would be considered overindulging by many health professionals. (Mind you, I love a beer or two or a glass of wine as well). Your hypertension might improve by reducing the alcohol intake. My dad has high blood pressure and gave up drinking years ago. He also watches his salt intake and eats close to a WFPB diet but still has to take medication. However, his dosage is on the lower end and he figures it's because he does try to pay attention to his diet. He is 83 and walks a mile or two every day. The bottom line is we have to work harder to maintain good health as we age.

I don't want to be too nosy about your digestive issues, but if it's heartburn or the like, you could reduce your intake of acidic and spicy foods (citrus, tomato-based foods, hot sauce, peppers, onions, garlic etc.) to see whether that helps. Also, reducing caffeine and alcohol can help with that. Beer can cause indigestion for sure. Have you also considered that you might have an allergy or a bad reaction to certain foods? It may be that the source of your discomfort is just one or two foods. For instance, for some reason, green peppers had been giving me problems a while back. I used to eat a ton of them, but I've cut way back and now I can have them occasionally and not suffer any ill effects. Our bodies can change over time and foods that once were OK can become problems as we age. My mother (she is 77) had to give up red wine because it made her heart race. She now drinks white wine instead, and it's fine for her.

If you are having inflammation issues, information abounds about foods to avoid to help control/reduce it. My mom has had this issue and has greatly reduced her dairy intake, and she has noticed some improvement. Some people reduce gluten and find that it helps with inflammation (this is the case for one of my friends). You might have to do a little work to determine what you might need to do to improve your digestive issues. I honestly find it difficult to believe that going back to meat and eggs would improve digestion, as meat is generally one of the most difficult things to digest.

Thanks for taking the time to write all of that PTree.
Very considered view, thanks for your suggestions.
You're right, perhaps I've put too much emphasis on diet as a cure all and the inevitability of ageing is kicking in.
Really glad that the Plant based diet is working for you.

So much judgement, so many assumptions, so much anger, so little compassion or understanding, so much disbelief, so many accusations in reply to a simple question asking how everyone feels, from someone you don't know, are never likely to meet, who lives thousands of miles away.
Unlike yourself, posting on Forums isn't something I do and was done from a place of desperation.
All other replies have been civil and given in the same spirit the question was asked.
I certainly wasn't looking for anyone's blessing in my consideration of eating fish or eggs.
It seems you (and Dr Gregor) have all the answers, have you ever considered that we are not all the same?
I hope you solve your own problems.
Light and Love my friend,
Light and Love.

Wow. I think there's anger and judgment, but it's not coming from Silva.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="DEAR BONNY REBECCA... - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting take on a vegan youtuber called Bonny Rebecca who has recently admitted to not being Vegan anymore due to health issues.
I was especially interested in Gojiman's statement at around 6 mins in.
Food for thought for people who choose to judge others situations,

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="DEAR BONNY REBECCA... - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Interesting take on a vegan youtuber called Bonny Rebecca who has recently admitted to not being Vegan anymore due to health issues.

Are you referring to the repeated statement that the vegan diet is not the problem?

Reactions: silva

I was mostly interested at 13:00 where he says to never brush off symptoms of poor health or you may end up another ex vegan, and that a meat approach is not the long term answer.

So, if you have digestive issues you need to address them at the start

This is a very well researched and informative video on the flawed thinking that plant based diets are the cause of poor health.

Are you referring to the repeated statement that the vegan diet is not the problem?
I think he might be referring to “there is a massive problem within the vegan community where people are literally shunned for talking about themselves struggling on a vegan diet and this absolutely has to stop”...