How do you deal with cravings?

felielizab

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Do you ever get cravings and how do you deal with them? For me, that would be the biggest challenge during transitioning. Even now, while not 100% vegetarian, there are those rare days that I will find myself craving meat. How do you curb your cravings?

I think the body gets used to it. I was never a big meat eater and as I become a vegetarian in my teens I have grown up being a vegetarian. If you don't buy it or see it then you don't crave it. Transitioning takes time and eventually it becomes second nature and I really don't miss meat or fish at all.

Agree with Alexia, not seeing what cause your craving is the best way to avoid wanting to eat whatever thing that is not longer what you should in your transition to a vegan lifestyle.

This is much like when you are overweight and start a weight loss diet, having your mind bringing to mind all kind of fatty-cravings that you know are forbidden to eat, but still craving for them.

Just now, your mind is telling you this; "Vegan must not eat meat" at the time that it shows off a mental movie of a juicy steak, so that it's also important not elaborate too much on your new eating preference.

Learn the basics and focus on the many dishes you can try with these ingredients, rather than thinking of those you are renouncing to.

There are actually some really cool Vegan meats on the market that you can try out if you are transitioning and craving meat, one of them is a smoked tofu, you want to get the one in this picture because in my opinion it has the richest taste out of any of them. What you do is you slice very thin slivers of it, as much as you want, and then fry it off just as you would do with bacon, maybe with a little bit less oil, then stick it in a bun with tomatoes and lettuce, maybe a bit of vegan mayo, and you're away! Best vegan sandwich ever! You can also chop it up and put it in casserole. Also, you can actually buy liquid smoke, which is smoked water and flavourings that have the exact taste of bacon. There's also some stuff that is made from mushrooms, that has the exacts same taste and texture of chicken, and if it's seasoned and dried correctly, beef! You really do just have to to look around for a while and not get disheartened and go back to eating living breathing things that feel pain.

thumb_main_resize_800_800.jpg

Reactions: Andy_T
Lyralyra, I have to disagree with you on one small point.

Liquid smoke does NOT taste like bacon, luckily!

I hate/detest/abhor bacon and its taste, but I certainly do appreciate the taste that liquid smoke adds to my homemade vegan smoked cheese.

BTW, the smoked tofu also is really awesome. Unfortunately this does not seem to be available in Asia (at least not in Malaysia)...

Best regards,
Andy

Meat actually has no great taste, it is the seasonings and manner it is cooked that makes it edible. I learned the spices and cooking methods and I use them to prepare vegan foods. Textures are in veggies and mushrooms, soy and sietan, that can give you the heartiness you desire.

Also, a high sugar diet causes cravings for more protein, so you can watch your sugar intake.

I never craved meat much as a vegetarian because there were so many awesome alternatives--like quorn picnic eggs and sausage rolls, which were the only thing I really craved until I found those substitutes. I usually preferred quorn products to their meat alternatives anyway.
As a vegan I crave chocolate a lot, and dark chocolate doesn't really cut it, so I make my own chocolate brownies and cakes, which are also dark chocolate but packed with sugar so they're really sweet and chocolatey.

I agree with Andrea.. many people don't like meat, they like what it's soaked in or slathered in to make it taste better. So use those flavours in your vegan dishes. Also, many people have cravings when they aren't eating enough or meeting their nutritional needs, so make sure you're satisfied and getting all your nutrients before you pass your cravings off on a need for meat. And lastly, a highly processed diet will leave you craving and hungry. I had some crappy store bought bread the other day and I was unnaturaly hungry and cravy the rest of the day lol. Minimally processed, if at all, eat when you're hungry, eat till you're full.. go from there.

I think there are two main ways to reduce cravings. First, eat good food. Veganism, while it does involve eliminating certain things from your diet and lifestyle, doesn't not need to be all about sacrifice. You can buy a vegan cookbook to find some good recipes or simply by some tasty meat substitutes - Gardein makes great ones that are pretty widely available.

The other thing you can do is focus on why you want to do this. I'm assuming it's to reduce harm, as veganism are usually concerned with ethics and animal rights. If you have a craving for meat, think about where it comes from. Is it worth it for you to cause suffering just for some momentary satisfaction.

After a while the cravings subside. I've been vegan for 11 years, and I can't remember the last time I wanted something that wasn't vegan. I'm always satisfied with the food I eat.

I curb my cravings by falling in love with something other than food.

I am a writer so I try to indulge myself in my work and not my eating. It takes my mind off it and I get more done in the end.

Since going vegetarian, and then vegan, the only non-veg meal I have ever craved is eggs royale. I got very sick this summer when people were BBQ'ing it made me so nauseous thinking of the dead flesh. Probably not the best person to ask. After a while your taste buds will retrain. Professionals will tell you it can take 3 months.

Maybe visualise the animal happy that may have provided the meat you crave in a sunny field.
Then visualise the same animal, frightened amongst it's kind in a truck, then being made to walk/run though scary and unfamiliar railings and passages, untill eventually . . .

Here's a link to a list. No images I promise and guarantee. (moderators please remove me from the forums if I lied) Just a list of the names of slaughter equipment, that's all. Some are innocuous, but some sound horrible.

http://www.abattoirequipmentsupplies.com/beef-slaughtering-equipment

So maybe you could recall that list when you find yourself craving meat.

I've been veggy more than 25 years and don't recall ever craving meat. Though I did still like the smell of frying bacon for several years.

Last edited: