How can I make myself care about farm animals?

To think about nature as a whole... That would be easier, if you were living off-grid and self sustainably. Otherwise it's easy to forget, when you go to work, be in a hurry and get what you need from a store.
If you don't have an nature based religion that you practise every day, it can be really hard.
That's ridiculous! Empathy needs no religion.
Science says plant based is better all around

• Agree
Reactions: Ohzen
If they are conscious, aware of their surroundings, have emotions, feel pain
Not too long ago the swiss ethics comission dunked fish into opium water. It was a study about to what degree different animals feel pain. Thanks to this at least its no longer allowed to boil crabs alive. According to this study insects also reached some points, even though its hard to tell if its really pain or just something mechanical that resembles pain.

Mushrooms are VERY aware of their surroundings and overall a forest works like one huge oraginsm with eyes, ears, lungs, veins, digestion...

Living in the city can make you care less about farm animals if you are not a devoted vegan. Cities are full of restaurants and billboards showcasing or advertising animal products. In Nairobi, for instance, there are many KFC billboards and Chicken Inn restaurants that can make you see chicken as only food. Going to my rural home or visiting rural places, enables me to interact with farm animals closely. For instance, I get to watch chicken pecking the ground for insects or laying eggs instead of seeing chicken wings on KFC billboards. Maybe you should be close to a farm animal to express your compassion.

Not too long ago the swiss ethics comission dunked fish into opium water. It was a study about to what degree different animals feel pain. Thanks to this at least its no longer allowed to boil crabs alive. According to this study insects also reached some points, even though its hard to tell if its really pain or just something mechanical that resembles pain.

Mushrooms are VERY aware of their surroundings and overall a forest works like one huge oraginsm with eyes, ears, lungs, veins, digestion...
Plants seem to be somewhat aware of their surroundings, they know how to grow towards the sun. Though they still don’t have a brain to feel with.

• Disagree
I don’t believe plants are alive in the same sense animals are
Me neither but as a forest warden I am somehow closer to plants than animals. People should really learn how complex flora is compared to fauna. Im not saying its better to eat meat... understanding nature as whole makes people more humble and careful overall. And I think your view on plants definitely could use an update.

Plants travel with their roots and search for mineral rich pockets in the soil like bears search for bushes of berries. If you cut a plant it wont react happy at all to the point when you remove to much that it allmost becomes depressed or simply refuses to eat and dies. Plants communicate with other beeings in many different ways. Every plant is unique and I would go as far as to say that they have their own character (gras is like a hamster, not too smart, and a tree is like an elephant, rather smart).... plants love listening to Mozart! (scientists think its because he often used the instrument Spinett which frequency pretty much resembles the one of small birds and splashing water)

:bsm:

I don't think talking about plants having feelings is very helpful for people wanting to transition to an all-plant diet.

• Disagree
Plants ARE alive. However, they are not sentient.
There are some very interesting ideas about how forests behave like organisms. The trees are connected to each other by fungus and the fungus can affect how the trees function for the betterment of the forest - or maybe the fungus.

But the fungus is not conscious or sentiment - at least not in ways that we usually use those words.

And trees can be grown in a pot - all by itself. Fingers and toes can't.

There is little or no doubt that fish feel pain and have complex behaviors. They meet the requirements to be called conscious and sentiment.

bivalves and insects fall into a gray area.

• Agree
:bsm:

I don't think talking about plants having feelings is very helpful for people wanting to transition to an all-plant diet.
I never said "plants have feelings" but I guess you are still right to a certain degree... but there are many different cases and this is simply a way to tackle the problem from another side to help people that (like me and many people I know) have a different approach to the topic.

Ill try to make it short... more awarness of how nature works could help people have more respect for resources, also resulting in less consumed meat.

Many people who grew up without pets come to love cats or dogs after spending time with them.

Look for a farm animal sanctuary in your area and volunteer there.