Lab-Grown Meat

Rory17

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hello,
I have fluctuated from vegan to veggie a lot. Just tonight, I have made the choice to go back to vegan. Hopefully, I will keep eating without hurting, harming or killing animals now*…
I was going to start a petition to the UK Government to grant funding to those researching to produce lab-grown meat. I found some websites and thought (from that) that lab-grown meat was already in existence. I think I’m now very sadly mistaken.😔😔😔😔😔I found the website of the Good Meat Co (or something like that) and thought I could get some people I know who eat meat onto that. Yay!
However, I know that some vegans think/thought that there are ethical implications with lab-grown meat. A post that I read (at least, some of) online made the point that the cells used could come from captive animals in cruel farming conditions. But, on the website I found, it said about some of the cells used coming from pasture-raised cattle. Don’t get me wrong, meat from pasture-raised, “high welfare”, free range, organically-reared animals who are slaughtered for their meat is still very unethical, immoral and wrong. But the lab-grown meat I’m talking about doesn’t involve slaughter. The animals could be living a good life on the farm (maybe without any cruelty) and then just have some cells taken from them and made into lab-grown meat. The animals may be allowed to live out their whole lives like that on the farm, just having cells taken to make lab-grown meat…
I know it still involves viewing animal flesh as food, and taking from and using animals, but surely isn’t it still much, much better than hurting, harming and killing animals for meat?
I don’t know that I would eat it, but would it not be much, much better than the current systems for the animals if we could get all/most non-vegans onto this stuff instead of slaughtered animal flesh?
Please be nice. I don’t know very much about lab-grown meat and I don’t want to support animal cruelty on this. I won’t set up the petition until I have learned more about the ethical implications of lab-grown meat…
Thank you and have a most wonderful day and night!

Last edited:
Lab-grown meat exists (see Upside Foods, for instance) and is already being sold in Singapore, but regulatory agencies in the US and the EU say it will take a few years before they allow it to be sold on US and EU markets. The most commonly searched term for it is actually "cultured meat", and if you looked for that, you would have found a lot of information online. Last year, a total of $366 million were invested in the 70-or-so cultured meat-producing companies that exist right now, to show that, while helpful, government research into cultured meat will not be crucial for the industry.

• Informative
Reactions: bEt and Lou
Even tho regulators have not green lit "slaughter free meat" for sale in the US or the EU there are already lots of factories already in existence and in production.
there is Future Meat in Israel that is capable of producing the equivalent of 5000 burgers a day.
Here in California, we have Upside Foods that is capable of producing 50,000 pounds a year.
Cultured meat has been approved to be sold in Singapore and there are a few restaurants that are serving it.

Hello,
I have fluctuated from vegan to veggie a lot. Just tonight, I have made the choice to go back to vegan. Hopefully, I will keep eating without hurting, harming or killing animals now*…
I was going to start a petition to the UK Government to grant funding to those researching to produce lab-grown meat. I found some websites and thought (from that) that lab-grown meat was already in existence. I think I’m now very sadly mistaken.😔😔😔😔😔I found the website of the Good Meat Co (or something like that) and thought I could get some people I know who eat meat onto that. Yay!
However, I know that some vegans think/thought that there are ethical implications with lab-grown meat. A post that I read (at least, some of) online made the point that the cells used could come from captive animals in cruel farming conditions. But, on the website I found, it said about some of the cells used coming from pasture-raised cattle. Don’t get me wrong, meat from pasture-raised, “high welfare”, free range, organically-reared animals who are slaughtered for their meat is still very unethical, immoral and wrong. But the lab-grown meat I’m talking about doesn’t involve slaughter. The animals could be living a good life on the farm (maybe without any cruelty) and then just have some cells taken from them and made into lab-grown meat. The animals may be allowed to live out their whole lives like that on the farm, just having cells taken to make lab-grown meat…
I know it still involves viewing animal flesh as food, and taking from and using animals, but surely isn’t it still much, much better than hurting, harming and killing animals for meat?
I don’t know that I would eat it, but would it not be much, much better than the current systems for the animals if we could get all/most non-vegans onto this stuff instead of slaughtered animal flesh?
Please be nice. I don’t know very much about lab-grown meat and I don’t want to support animal cruelty on this. I won’t set up the petition until I have learned more about the ethical implications of lab-grown meat…
Thank you and have a most wonderful day and night!
I thought it would be from synthetic as it is not only the cruelty to torture animals all day in the farms waiting to be chopped and cooked but the connection with millions of other animals that kill to survive so it should be synthetic with vegetables polimers otherwise the classic vegan

I'm not for lab-grown meat, but I'm also realistic that our lifestyle won't win many hearts and minds in our lifetime. At least lab-grown is a start in the right direction.