High-protein vegan meals

Krish Jay

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
What are your favourite high protein meals?

I love combining quinoa, buckwheat or rice with things like:
  • lentils
  • chickpeas
  • black beans
  • yellow split peas

I mostly prepare them from packed dry rather than tinned unless I am feeling super lazy... To do this I soak them overnight in water and a bit of apple cider vinegar

(This is key, as soaking lets our body absorb the food better, and prevents the dreaded bloat-syndrome. Even with tinned foods, always rinse well, you notice the bubble form and rinse away - which is what causes bloating)

I absolutely love making different fragrant and spiced dishes

How about you guys?

Last edited:
W

winter.frost

I don't go out of my way to eat lots of protein as it is not required. Take a look at this thread: https://veganforum.co.uk/threads/protein-problems.464

We only need 2.5% of our daily caloric intake to be protein (and that is according to the USDA). To put that into perspective, even if we ate nothing but apples all day long we would still meet this quota.

I am also aware of many vegan athletes who are mostly fruitarian. Then again, I concede that body builders will need to eat more protein than 2.5%.

Krish Jay

Novice
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
I am more prone towards building muscle while on a vegan diet... so unfortunately I fall into the latter category ;)

Actually I think this is a major reason why a lot (a LOT) of men do not even consider veganism. There is a masculine desire to be strong, and most people see veganism as the opposite to muscle building... which is not true at all

• 👍
Reactions: sharla86

Newbean

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan newbie
Derek Tresize book or Robert Cheeke's latest book Shred It.

You can also check out vegan bodybuilders on youtube, they have meals there.

• 👍
Reactions: Krish Jay

Naturebound

Devotee
Reaction score
Lifestyle
Vegan
I am open to all kinds of vegan protein, and do not limit myself to only certain vegan food. These are just some of the foods I eat as a vegan:

all kinds of beans: chickpeas, lentils, split peas, black beans, white beans, navy beans, kidney beans, lima beans, peas...

All varieties of nuts and seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, chia, hemp, flax) and nut/seed butters (cashew butter, almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter)

broccoli, sweet potatoes, kale, collards, snap peas, spinach...

soy milk, pea milk, hemp milk

vegan protein powders (favorites are anything Vega, Source Naturals Pea protein, Plant Fusion, Manitoba Harvest Hemp protein)

Field Roast products such as vegan sausages or burgers

Beyond Meat products

Tofurky franks on rare occasion

Daiya or Tempt vegan yogurts or Nancy's plain soy yogurt

homemade seitan (made with vital wheat gluten, and I like to add nutritional yeast, tomato paste, liquid smoke, paprika)

tofu, tempeh

nutritional yeast

whole grains (brown rice, wild rice, quinoa, millet, bulgur wheat, buckwheat groats, spelt, couscous, barley, oats, and whole wheat bread too)

Chickpea flour (for omelets or savory muffins with vegetables cooked into them)

A simple peanut butter and banana sandwich will yield about 8 grams of protein for the peanut butter (two tablespoons) and another 8 grams of protein for the two slices of whole wheat bread. Have it with a green salad and a glass of pea milk for another ten grams of protein (8 grams for the pea milk and two for the green salad). That's 26 grams of protein for that meal.

A chickpea flour omelet using 1/2 cup of chickpea flour, 2 tablespoons of nutritional yeast, and a cup of chopped spinach folded into it (and add some salsa for a nice flavor) will yield about 22 grams of protein (12 for the chickpea flour, 8 for the two tablespoons of nutritional yeast, and 2 for the spinach).

For dinner, a chopped steamed sweet potato, a cup of steamed broccoli, and a cup of black beans all combined with a splash of almond milk and curry powder will yield about 18 grams of protein (12 for the cup of black beans, 2 for the broccoli, 4 for the sweet potato).

That's about 66 grams of protein for a day, which meets an average person's needs. If you are an athlete, you could add more by adding in a handful of nuts and seeds, or a smoothie, or an energy bar or two (or all of the above).

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
shyvas High Protein Vegan Breakfast Ideas Food & Drink 6
thinman High Protein Breakfast Food & Drink 0
Jinendra Singh How to make delicious high protein quinoa salad Food & Drink 0
LeoLivesLike Breakfast-Healthy high protein Recipes 5
AeryFairy High-Protein Meals Health & Body 10
shyvas News The Winner & Losers - UK High St UK & Eire 0
Amy SF When high-profile vegans quit veganism General 1
jhanc High-end elegant vegan dinner experience march 23 Food & Drink 4
E US Dangerous Effects of Heart and High Blood Medications on Your Pets Animals 2
jayk Product Promote this high converting vegan product Marketplace 0
J High blood pressure on low salt diet Health & Body 19
P High schooler looking for research on starbucks Food & Drink 1
Brian1 Question Why do vegan D3 supplements contain such high doses? Ask Us a Question! 3
MadamSarcastra Animal Rights High Fashion Going Fur-Free Animals 0
Indian Summer Man-Machine Scientists develop high accuracy gaydar facial analysis software Science & Technology 1
C Replacement for high end makeup Products 5
bmo87 Vegan w high triglycerides and tc Health & Body 3
Indian Summer Animal Advocacy Fox hunting opposition at all-time high Animals 1
robert99 Being lazy is a sign of high intelligence Health & Body 2
Joe WWW RIPOFF ===> 1 Veg That Kills High BP bloodpressuresolution.com Science & Technology 0
robert99 U.S. Suicide Rate Surges to a 30-Year High Health & Body 1
Indian Summer High percentage of drunk vegetarians eat meat The Vegetarian Forum 25
C High Performance Winter Socks Products 0
T High number of Loggerhead Turtle nests Animals In The News 0
shyvas 8 Foods - High in Sodium Health & Body 0
Clueless Git High fibre diet turns starfish into black hole Lounge 7
peacefulveglady A woman is force feeding herself too high pounds General Discussion 27
FortyTwo Should the Arcade High Scores be Reset? Suggestions & Bugs 16
Amy SF High Quality Canned Cat Food Recommendations Animals 12
D Nutrition & Diet High Fructose Corn Syrup Health & Body 45
Brian1 Savoury protein snack ideas Food & Drink 13
PhoenixFire CA Vegan whole food protein V meat replacements Transitioning 22
thinman How to get enough protein on a plant exclusive diet Health & Body 1
Lou Nutrition & Diet The scoop on protein powder Health & Body 3
Lou News Pistachios-A Complete Source Of Protein Food & Drink 5
D Pure Protein Transitioning 28
Lou Complete protein sources Health & Body 3
D Dietary supplements and protein Products 52
Z TVP - textured vegetable protein Food & Drink 6
Brian1 Duckweed - a plant source of B12, Omega 3 & protein General 0
Z Non-dairy hi protein lo sugar yogurt hard to find General 9
A Product Protein Powder Marketplace 2
TheWombat Vegan protein powder that dissolves well in hot water? Food & Drink 2
Xnew_ethicX Best Vegan Protein Powder to mix with Oatmeal? Food & Drink 8
nobody Do you eat Roquette pea protein isolate? General 7
F Vegan protein and allergies Health & Body 2
L Plant-Based Protein Supplement Health & Body 2
G Duckweed Protein, ponds of protein? Food & Drink 2
P One of the best sources of vegan protein you have never heard of! Food & Drink 10
Lou The Mighty Pea is Everybody's New Favorite Plant-Based Protein Food & Drink 4