High percentage of drunk vegetarians eat meat

Can't say I'm massively surprised - if you're drunk and all you're thinking about is (slightly greasy) food, and most places are closed and good veggie options aren't widely available, I can see how it could happen.

Luckily for me, if I've been drinking, my go-to food is chips :p

Well, it wasn't that big a survey and you don't know if the 'vegetarians' responding were truly vegetarian. I remember at a family get together a few years ago I met a girl who said she was vegetarian as she was eating some kind of meat, chicken liver as I recall.:rolleyes:

People eating vegetarian most of the time are still doing less damage than people on a typical omni diet anyway.

'Straight-edge' makes more sense when you consider these numbers!

I suppose lowering inhibitions is one of the things that alcohol does best, so it's not surprising that some vegetarians make bad choices while under the influence, but the percentages cited still baffles me somewhat.

Last edited:
I don't see those people as vegetarians, but only people who need a label on their food habbits that admit that they do eat meat too from time to time.

Drunk is just one "excuse". Christmas, birthdays, Thanks Giving etc is other...

Reactions: Vegetarian
I don't see those people as vegetarians, but only people who need a label on their food habbits that admit that they do eat meat too from time to time.

Drunk is just one "excuse". Christmas, birthdays, Thanks Giving etc is other...

This.

When I was an omni I used to go for the greasy fast food when I had been drinking. In the last few months of it though I discovered that Burger King did a bean burger, and I used to get that (even though I was an omni). It isnt vegan though, but anyway it would be good if there were more suitable options around.

But I dont see why anyone would eat omni while drunk... we are drunk, not stupid...

Reactions: Vegetarian
I went through a stage when I was furious with everyone that wasn't a vegan but I still think that people even trying to make an effort to eat more vegetarian food must be helping animals.

In the last few months of it though I discovered that Burger King did a bean burger, and I used to get that (even though I was an omni). It isnt vegan though, but anyway it would be good if there were more suitable options around.

I used to love that burger!

Reactions: Freesia
Yes, it was awesome, I recall it was some sort of red bean and had little flecks of green peppers and red peppers... :)

I was living in Ireland at the time. I dont know if BK has them here as I havent been since getting back here.

Depends how committed you are to begin with.
... and that again depends perhaps a little on your personality type? It seems to be a rare thing in this day and age to live a life guided by principles rather than convenience and social pressures. Religious people to some extent live by principles, but are also aided in this by social pressures in their groups to adhere to said principles.

I just think people who chose to go vegetarian or vegan for ethical reasons would not eat animal products because they got drunk. Although, I personally would find it hard to stick to something 100% purely for health reasons.
I would get annoyed if anyone tried to pressure me into it. I have got annoyed in the past. :p

I would get annoyed if anyone tried to pressure me into it. I have got annoyed in the past. :p
Yeah, my default reaction is to balk and dig my heels in if anyone tries to pressure me into anything.

Yeah, my default reaction is to balk and dig my heels in if anyone tries to pressure me into anything.

I am convinced that this is one of the reasons I first stuck with being a vegetarian - everyone told me I couldn't/wouldn't do it, and my mum spent a week telling me I wasn't allowed :p I liked being stubborn a lot more than I liked any kind of meat.

I am convinced that this is one of the reasons I first stuck with being a vegetarian - everyone told me I couldn't/wouldn't do it, and my mum spent a week telling me I wasn't allowed :p I liked being stubborn a lot more than I liked any kind of meat.

For what reason ?

I've been vegan 10 years and I'm 55 years old, and my mother still seems to think I'm going through a phase! :rolleyes:

Reactions: AeryFairy
For what reason ?

I'm still not totally sure. She said she didn't want to make separate meals, but I offered to cook for myself/help out. I think it offended her a bit - she grew up on a farm, I think she thought it was an attack on her way of life. Whatever it was, she spent a week serving me meaty dishes before realising that I'd end up starving myself - at which point she begrudgingly gave in :p