Help with a rabbit dilemma

Damo

Forum Legend
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I need your help with a dilemma, I've had the idea of adopting two rabbits for awhile and my original thought was to adopt from a rescue as they're obviously in need of homes. However out of curiosity I browsed a place called Gumtree, for the west it's similar to Craigslist I believe, anyway aside from breeders on which I'd never purchase from or even pet shops for that matter, I found a post for a pair of buns that were needing a new home because their baby is apparently allergic now these buns need vaccinating and also spaying which I'm obviously prepared to have done, the dilemma is should I ignore this post and still adopt from a rescue or sort of "rescue" these two buns in the ad?

I've messaged the person who listed the buns for sale and they're still available, they haven't asked anything about my background other than how much I'm willing to pay for them which is ringing my alarm bells since they're more concerned how much I'm willing to pay rather than how safe they're going to be with a random person on the internet.

Honest thoughts?

Hi everyone!

I need your help with a dilemma, I've had the idea of adopting two rabbits for awhile and my original thought was to adopt from a rescue as they're obviously in need of homes. However out of curiosity I browsed a place called Gumtree, for the west it's similar to Craigslist I believe, anyway aside from breeders on which I'd never purchase from or even pet shops for that matter, I found a post for a pair of buns that were needing a new home because their baby is apparently allergic now these buns need vaccinating and also spaying which I'm obviously prepared to have done, the dilemma is should I ignore this post and still adopt from a rescue or sort of "rescue" these two buns in the ad?

I've messaged the person who listed the buns for sale and they're still available, they haven't asked anything about my background other than how much I'm willing to pay for them which is ringing my alarm bells since they're more concerned how much I'm willing to pay rather than how safe they're going to be with a random person on the internet.

Honest thoughts?

IMHO adopting an unwanted bunny from a home is almost just as good as a rescue - compassion wise. But from the adopter's point of view could be better or worse. The main advantage would be the health of the bunny. but since these bunnies still haven't been vaccinated or spayed, that is already questionable. The other issue would be the bunnies mental state. Are all the bunnies tame? are all the bunnies free from PTSD? You may need to actually get eyeballs on both sets of bunnies to evaluate.

I would research their selling history on Gumtree or elsewhere and see if they are genuine or if the allergy is a selling tactic, as you suspect.

Where did they get them from? maybe they are just wild rabbits?

I have no rabbit experience. ?

Emma JC

Thanks Lou, I've spoken a lot about the idea to a few other people and I think I'm edging towards adoption instead. Unfortunately as a friend has said you simply can't save them all and it's best to support a charity than the "rabbit trade".

Where did they get them from?

I'm going to guess that they were bought from a place called pets at home, they're a national pet store that sell non-vaccinated, spayed or even micro-chipped animals especially as the cage they're currently living in is small and that pets at home are notorious for selling unfit cages to buyers.

It sounds like you made up your mind, and I probably shouldn't be stirring up the waters, but by adopting the animals that were bought you are not really supporting the "rabbit trade". the pet store got their money - not from you. You are just saving those rabbits from..... well whatever would happen to unwanted rabbits.

Some of my dog loving friends get their dogs from the pound. And some have had bad experiences with pound puppies. Some of the dogs have emotional issues. Getting an unwanted dog from CraigsList is sometimes a safer route. Although still has it's hazards. Not sure how many parallels you can draw between dogs and bunnies, tho.

Hi Lou,

Appreciate your input, with the adoption process I like that the rescue is helping me prepare and is also ensuring I know everything and have the necessities to care for these pets, the unwanted rabbits on the other hand the person literally only seems to care about how much I'm willing to pay and how soon I can collect, not that his is any fault of the rabbits but I just feel more comfortable going through the adoption route.

Reactions: Lou
It sounds like you made up your mind, and I probably shouldn't be stirring up the waters, but by adopting the animals that were bought you are not really supporting the "rabbit trade". the pet store got their money - not from you. You are just saving those rabbits from..... well whatever would happen to unwanted rabbits.

Some of my dog loving friends get their dogs from the pound. And some have had bad experiences with pound puppies. Some of the dogs have emotional issues. Getting an unwanted dog from CraigsList is sometimes a safer route. Although still has it's hazards. Not sure how many parallels you can draw between dogs and bunnies, tho.
I agree with your first paragraph, but not your second.

Bad owners can lead to emotional problems in animals, yes, but people who get rid of their animals through Craigslist aren't necessarily better guardians than those who take them to the pound. In fact, people who keep their animals aren't necessarily good guardians either - I've known a lot of people who shouldn't be responsible for an animal.

I would also point out that animals are remarkably emotionally resilient, and almost all abused and /or neglected animals repay a little effort with a lifetime of love.

All of my animals (except a few of my chickens) have come from less than ideal backgrounds, and there isn't one who hasn't ended up being a terrific companion.