Help-estrogen free vegan life?

Momoniak

Newcomer
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegan newbie
Hello,
I have a problem with estrogen and my body hates meat. What can I eat to have a sufficient amount of proteins, B-complex, and iron?
Thank you all in advance :))
BB xoxo

I'm taking a page out of Dr. Gregar's Daily Dozen.

Attachments

• cc1b130df9f22bb4ea5496f46bfe4b60.jpg
    cc1b130df9f22bb4ea5496f46bfe4b60.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 5
  • Informative
Reactions: silva
oh, thank you :)
but I have an opposite problem like.. I need estrogen-free food, so no legumes, no beans etc.
so what can I do? :(

oh, thank you :)
but I have an opposite problem like.. I need estrogen-free food, so no legumes, no beans etc.
so what can I do? :(
None of those foods contain estrogens.

They do contain phytoestrogens.

Phytoestrogens are NOT estrogen.
although sometimes in popular magazines and web sources they don't make the distinction. (in fact they don't in the article I cited). However, It is a necessary distinction to avoid confusion. In some cases it is just misleading in others it is completely false.

Some phytoestrogens mimic estrogen. and some can attach themselves to estrogen receptors in your body. This get pretty complicated pretty fast. One reason it's complicated is that there are a lot of phytoestrogens and they don't all act in the same way. but the bottom line is, for the most part phytoestrogen have beneficial effects.

"...multiple studies have associated phytoestrogen intake with decreased cholesterol levels, improved menopausal symptoms, and a lower risk of osteoporosis and certain types of cancer, including breast cancer."

I apologize. When I answered with the Daily Dozen I was just answering the part of your question about " proteins, B-complex, and iron." I willfully ignored your issue with estrogen.

Before I give you a good answer, I have a question.

Why do you believe you have a problem with estrogen? Did a doctor tell you this? If a doctor told you this then you should be getting your dietary advice from him or an RD that he refers to you. This must be some kind of medical condition and you should be receiving treatment.

Reactions: Emma JC and KLS52
Well, my doctor said I have to avoid food rich in estrogen (phytoestrogen) like soy, etc.
It is because I take contraception. My doctor said me that when I eat any of these, the risk of a blood clot is higher.
And now I really don't know what to do.. what to eat.. :(

Well, my doctor said I have to avoid food rich in estrogen (phytoestrogen) like soy, etc.
It is because I take contraception. My doctor said me that when I eat any of these, the risk of a blood clot is higher.
And now I really don't know what to do.. what to eat.. :(
Oh. shoot.
On one hand I really hate to contradict a doctor.
However I think you may have misunderstood him -or perhaps he is misinformed himself. most doctors are pretty much unqualified to give nutritional advice.

First off. are there any preexisting conditions that may have led him to say this. Have you had blood clots in the past? are you taking any other medications? have you had other hormonal imbalances? And thyroid issues?

If the answer to any of those is yes, you should ask your doctor for a referral to a registered dietician. I don't know what kind of system you have in the Czech Republic but you may not even have to pay for it. Even if you did have to pay for it - it will be like only one or two phone interviews or zoom meetings.

did you happen to mention being vegan to your doctor?

Also despite all the advice I'm willing to give about nutrition to people, I am well aware of taking the advice of random people on the internet is not an advisable strategy. So maybe check out a dietician just for your own peace of mind.

And a word of caution. Not sure how it works in Czech but in English speaking countries there is some confusion between "dietician" and "nutritionists". the words are somewhat interchangeable but a dietician is liscenced and receives Post Graduate level training - just like a nurse. Over here anyone can call themselves a nutritionist.

One more thing. there is some concern with people over doing soy. Maybe someone else on VF and can check or correct me on this but I'm under the impression that 2 - 4 servings of soy is a good goal. That would be about 25 - 50 grams of soy protein a day.

There are people who are sensitive or even allergic to soy. And some of these are vegans. You can meet all your nutritional goals without soy. but I wouldn't try unless you had a good reason.

"
"Fiber-rich diets like the Mediterranean diet tend to be high in phytoestrogens. These are molecules with estrogen-like activity found in certain foods like soy, legumes, nuts, grains, fruits, vegetables, and seeds (24Trusted Source, 25Trusted Source).

Phytoestrogens bind to estrogen receptors in cells and can have either antiestrogenic or estrogenic effects. For example, certain phytoestrogens compete with estrogen because they bind to estrogen receptors, blocking estrogen absorption (25Trusted Source)."

Reactions: Emma JC and Lou