Frugal Recipes

My most frugal meal would be my spiced beans done in a crock pot.I make them once a week to use in whole grain wraps.This can get you through 3 or 4 evenings of the week with eating 3 or 4 burrito wraps per evening.
It's quick and easy when you only have time to just warm something up.I like to do a different regions style and bean choice every week.Warning....They are super when diced crunchy onions and pink salt are added.
I often do this, too, Brandon. Beans are so versatile! :) I add some veggies, fresh, or frozen if there's a time crunch. I like raw shredded cabbage, chopped tomatoes, onions, and avocado with burrito beans. Sometimes I microwave a potato and put the bean mixture in it, or over rice.

Reactions: KLS52
I've been doing one bowl eating lately and I find it so simple and easy. I bought a pretty heart shaped bowl so it feels nice to eat from it.:) I just had a curry bowl with steamed cauliflower, broccoli and carrots on the bottom, a large spoonful of brown basmati rice, lentil dal, potato curry and some extra sauce drizzled on top so it soaks through to the bottom. It is really filling as well. I have more rice leftover to make a Mexican style bowl for tomorrow with beans, salsa, salad and avocado.

I have also been cooking dried beans in batches instead of buying tinned and that saves money as other people on here have said.

I've been doing one bowl eating lately and I find it so simple and easy. I bought a pretty heart shaped bowl so it feels nice to eat from it.:) I just had a curry bowl with steamed cauliflower, broccoli and carrots on the bottom, a large spoonful of brown basmati rice, lentil dal, potato curry and some extra sauce drizzled on top so it soaks through to the bottom. It is really filling as well. I have more rice leftover to make a Mexican style bowl for tomorrow with beans, salsa, salad and avocado.

I have also been cooking dried beans in batches instead of buying tinned and that saves money as other people on here have said.

I'm soaking half a packet of pinto beans and am planning to make Boston beans with sweet potatoes and slices smokey seitan in the slow cooker. It is so cold that a nice bean dish will be most welcoming.

I will freeze the rest of the beans and make some buddha bowls during the week.

I've been making a lot of dishes using lentils and chickpeas. I also do a lot of batch cooking and freeze a couple of portions.
I also make my own bread at least once a week.
I find that buying frozen vegetables during the winter months works out cheaper except for root vegetables. Mixed berries are also far cheaper than fresh ones.
I freeze banana when they are on SO and make smoothies, shakes and ice cream.

I've been making a lot of dishes using lentils and chickpeas.

Yes, same here.

I cooked up some red lentils last night to keep in the fridge. I'm going to make a lentil Shepherd's pie today and use cauliflower mash with the potato mash to make it lower in calories.

Reactions: Val and shyvas
Yes, same here.

I cooked up some red lentils last night to keep in the fridge. I'm going to make a lentil Shepherd's pie today and use cauliflower mash with the potato mash to make it lower in calories.

This is one of my signature dishes. I usually add either soya mince or chopped seitan to the lentils and lots of Marmite. I always make a mash with sweet potatoes plus cauliflower as I don't like it too sweet.

Reactions: Val and PTree15
I don't eat lentils often enough. I need to make them a regular part of the menu as they are economical.

Reactions: Val
The cafe near my office has coconut curry lentil soup today. I literally just remarked to my boyfriend that I love lentil soup and it's so understated because every time I eat it I remember how tasty it is and wonder why I don't have it more often. Now I see this post and I see I am not alone.

Reactions: PTree15
I've started eating lentils a lot again as they are zero points on WW.:D 4 portions of cooked lentils make 4 different meals.

Yesterday I made Shepherd's pie with them adding carrots, celery and onions and the mash on top.

Adding passata, tomato puree, mushrooms and garlic salt and making spaghetti.

Adding curry powder, Quorn pieces, chickpeas, fresh coriander and soya yoghurt to make a curry.

Then just adding some vegetable stock to what is left to have a bowl of lentil soup with a roll.

I've been making a lot of dishes using lentils and chickpeas.

What is the chickpea puree recipe you often say you use on here?

I've started eating lentils a lot again as they are zero points on WW.:D 4 portions of cooked lentils make 4 different meals.

Yesterday I made Shepherd's pie with them adding carrots, celery and onions and the mash on top.

Adding curry powder, Quorn pieces, chickpeas, fresh coriander and soya yoghurt to make a curry.

Then just adding some vegetable stock to what is left to have a bowl of lentil soup with a roll.

You should open a restaurant ! I like all of those dishes.:p

I make a very simple chickpea purée with a tin of chickpeas, smoked paprika, ground coriander, lemon pepper flakes, yeast flakes,
lemon juice, olive oil. I sometimes add a sprinkle of garlic powder just before serving. I actually don't often add the latter, as I don't like the taste of marinated garlic. I also add a sprinkle of smoky Cornish sea salt if I'm having it as a sandwich base or dip.

Last edited:
Reactions: PTree15 and Val

Lentils and other pulses (legumes) are definitely high on my list when I make frugal dishes.

Lentil & vegetable stew.
Lentil & vegetable curry
Lenti & vegetable soup
Cottage pie with sp mash
Lentil & tofu curry
Nut & lentil roast
Lentil & sp fritters

I bought a 12 pack of northern white beans from Amazon. I like to roast them (drained) in the oven around 350 degrees, along with whatever I have. That could mean onion, the last of my fresh celery, and smoked paprika. That could mean fresh ginger, frozen broccoli, and more onion. I like to bake them until they're ALMOST crunchy. Delightful especially with a tahini sauce of tahini, water, lemon juice (can use bottled to be cheaper), and salt. Add garlic powder for more flavor, or fresh garlic if you have it.

I need to try these. I spend way too much at Starbucks. It should be a treat, not a regular occurrence given my need to save money. :D Thank you for posting this.

Right now I've been very happy to use plant based milk, pumpkin spice shaker, and maple syrup or brown sugar (or even with no sweetener) in my coffee. I also have done peppermint oil with maple syrup and plant based milk, but be careful with peppermint it will give you heartburn if you use too much it's not a good thing.