5 Veggie Essentials

1. Co-worker who handed me a PETA magazine 8 years ago...how could I have been so blind.
2. The Other Board because it came first and I was part of it for so long and now VeggieViews.
3. Howard Lyman (the Mad Cowboy)...saw him give a lecture at our library 7 years ago...went cold turkey giving up the eggs/dairy that very day...and may I say that was an experience.
4. Earth Balance which I have since replaced with Willow brand margarine because it's palm oil free.
5. The internet, in general, because without it I wouldn't have made so many veggie friends, googled and found so many delicious recipes and learned so much about this awesome lifestyle.
:)

In no particular order:
--Hummus. It's so versatile and delicious. I make it every week.
--Internet/Veggieviews. Like KLS, I started with The Other Board, which was invaluable to me when I decided to go vegan. Plus, there are recipes and information galore if you take the time to look. Also, having a place to discuss veganism/vegetarianism without being judged/riduculed/questioned incessantly is such a relief, as I have few veg friends IRL. The ones I do have live far away now because I had to move. :(
--Non-dairy chocolate. From bars to chips, it has saved me. And thanks to Alice-Bee, I now have a decent fudge recipe, which had eluded me for quite some time!
--Egg replacers/non-dairy butter. I love to bake, and I was so daunted by the prospect of not using butter and eggs in my baking when I decided to go vegan. Again, the boards/Internet were so helpful and informative. I brought vegan chocolate chip cookies to work the other day, and three people asked for the recipe. Delicious vegan desserts rule!
--Seitan. I make my own and love the stuff.

In no particular order:
--Hummus. It's so versatile and delicious. I make it every week.
--Internet/Veggieviews. Like KLS, I started with The Other Board, which was invaluable to me when I decided to go vegan. Plus, there are recipes and information galore if you take the time to look. Also, having a place to discuss veganism/vegetarianism without being judged/riduculed/questioned incessantly is such a relief, as I have few veg friends IRL. The ones I do have live far away now because I had to move. :(
--Non-dairy chocolate. From bars to chips, it has saved me. And thanks to Alice-Bee, I now have a decent fudge recipe, which had eluded me for quite some time!
--Egg replacers/non-dairy butter. I love to bake, and I was so daunted by the prospect of not using butter and eggs in my baking when I decided to go vegan. Again, the boards/Internet were so helpful and informative. I brought vegan chocolate chip cookies to work the other day, and three people asked for the recipe. Delicious vegan desserts rule!
--Seitan. I make my own and love the stuff.

What recîpe do you use ?

What recîpe do you use ?
I found the recipe online a few years ago and can't remember the source, but when I get home from work, I'll post it. :) It's basically seitan flavored with poultry-type seasoning.

Reactions: shyvas
Ok, here it is.
Stock:
2 cups water
1/4 cup nutitional yeast
2 TBS tamari
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed

Combine all of the above ingredients in a large sauce pan and set aside while you make the seitan.

Seitan:
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together wheat gluten and water until completely combined.
Knead for about three minutes, then shape the seitan in a short baguette (about 5 inches long).
Cut in half length-wise and then in half again cross-wise.
Cut or pull each quarter into roughly 3 equal pieces.
Bring stock to a boil.
Stretch each piece a little before placing carefully into stock.
Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so until the broth has almost completely reduced (this never happens when I make it :D. I use the broth to store the seitan in when I put it in the fridge and later to cook with it). Throughout cooking, the pieces will expand, but then they eventually will shrink back down.
Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 6 days or in the freezer for 6 months.

You get a good three to five servings. I use this for stir-fries and stews and sandwiches. Sometimes, I just pan fry it to get it crispy and have with potatoes and greens and such. You can cut up the pieces further once it's cooked.

One of my favorite sandwiches is sauteing small pieces in a little oil and then topping it with buffalo sauce. Just be sure your head isn't over the pan because the potency of the sauce can tickle your nose some :D. I then put Daiya cheese on top and transfer it to a sub roll. Sometimes I' will saute the seitan with onions, too.

Ok, here it is.
Stock:
2 cups water
1/4 cup nutitional yeast
2 TBS tamari
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp celery seed

Combine all of the above ingredients in a large sauce pan and set aside while you make the seitan.

Seitan:
1 cup vital wheat gluten
1 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together wheat gluten and water until completely combined.
Knead for about three minutes, then shape the seitan in a short baguette (about 5 inches long).
Cut in half length-wise and then in half again cross-wise.
Cut or pull each quarter into roughly 3 equal pieces.
Bring stock to a boil.
Stretch each piece a little before placing carefully into stock.
Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 50 to 60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes or so until the broth has almost completely reduced (this never happens when I make it :D. I use the broth to store the seitan in when I put it in the fridge and later to cook with it). Throughout cooking, the pieces will expand, but then they eventually will shrink back down.
Use immediately or store in the fridge for up to 6 days or in the freezer for 6 months.

You get a good three to five servings. I use this for stir-fries and stews and sandwiches. Sometimes, I just pan fry it to get it crispy and have with potatoes and greens and such. You can cut up the pieces further once it's cooked.

One of my favorite sandwiches is sauteing small pieces in a little oil and then topping it with buffalo sauce. Just be sure your head isn't over the pan because the potency of the sauce can tickle your nose some :D. I then put Daiya cheese on top and transfer it to a sub roll. Sometimes I' will saute the seitan with onions, too.

Oh great ! I have all the ingredients except for Tamari. I can sub that with some Marmite and pinch some fresh sage from my next door neighbour !

:thanks:

Reactions: PTree15
Mine are...

- Vegan Fayres. They're great for trying new products without paying lots of money, trying new foods, and buying hard-to-find vegan products
- Vegan cup cakes take over the world. Before this book all my cakes failed, and though I've found lots of other good recipes since, these ones are particularly good.
- Rose Elliot cookbooks. I love her vegetarian versions of British/European foods, which is quite difficult to find. Chestnut pies, pate en croute, onion gravy, Victoria sponge - all my favourite kind of comfort foods!
- Vegan Mars Bar because although there are lots of nice chocolate bars and chocolate truffles which are vegan about, I really miss the kind of snack-bars like this. It's something I took for granted as a vegetarian, I didn't realise that chocolate wasn't about CHOCOLATE it was about the variety of trimmings available - wafter, nuts, caramel, etc.
- Supportive family and friends. Okay this isn't something you guys can really change. But knowing a lot of vegetarians IRL and online, I realise just how supportive my friends and family are, and what a difference it makes. Being vegan isn't just accepted, it's embraced. People always make sure there is food for me to eat, and try really hard to find me vegan gifts (even my grandparents in their 70s who think the whole idea is just madness), bake and cook food especially for me, etc. I'm very lucky. :)

Sorry mine are so vegan! I think veganism has thrown up lots more problems than vegetarianism did for me, so my essentials kinda reflect that. But at least 4 are essential for L/O veggies too, I think :)

Mine are...

- Vegan Fayres. They're great for trying new products without paying lots of money, trying new foods, and buying hard-to-find vegan products
- Vegan cup cakes take over the world. Before this book all my cakes failed, and though I've found lots of other good recipes since, these ones are particularly good.
- Rose Elliot cookbooks. I love her vegetarian versions of British/European foods, which is quite difficult to find. Chestnut pies, pate en croute, onion gravy, Victoria sponge - all my favourite kind of comfort foods!
- Vegan Mars Bar because although there are lots of nice chocolate bars and chocolate truffles which are vegan about, I really miss the kind of snack-bars like this. It's something I took for granted as a vegetarian, I didn't realise that chocolate wasn't about CHOCOLATE it was about the variety of trimmings available - wafter, nuts, caramel, etc.
- Supportive family and friends. Okay this isn't something you guys can really change. But knowing a lot of vegetarians IRL and online, I realise just how supportive my friends and family are, and what a difference it makes. Being vegan isn't just accepted, it's embraced. People always make sure there is food for me to eat, and try really hard to find me vegan gifts (even my grandparents in their 70s who think the whole idea is just madness), bake and cook food especially for me, etc. I'm very lucky. :)

Sorry mine are so vegan! I think veganism has thrown up lots more problems than vegetarianism did for me, so my essentials kinda reflect that. But at least 4 are essential for L/O veggies too, I think :)

I also like her style of writing. I have a few of her books including Vegan Feasts and Vegetarian Christmas. I have a few on my wish list too.
You can get her books that are used ones, for a little approx £ 2 at Awesomebooks.com.

Reactions: SummerRain