Frugal Ideas and Household Hints

I followed a hair cutting video on Youtube once and my hair came out great. I never could get it to work after the first time though. I don't know what I was doing wrong the second time. :shrug:

I may try this if I get brave enough. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: KLS52
I'm going to bite the bullet and buy some hairdressing scissors and try cutting my own hair. I was looking at a woman doing a DIY layered haircut on youtube and looks quite easy. My hair is looking really ratty at the ends and if I mess it up I will just get my mobile hairdresser to come round and sort it out.;)

Is a DIY hairdo a shortcut to disaster? As more women skip the salon to save money, one brave volunteer tries cutting her own hair | Daily Mail Online

I used to work with a girl who had a crew cut. After you got over the shock it looked pretty good.
I've been giving myself crew cuts for years, it's easy, just cut off the long parts.

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
I used to work with a girl who had a crew cut. After you got over the shock it looked pretty good.
I've been giving myself crew cuts for years, it's easy, just cut off the long parts.

I've known quite a few women who have very short hair like that. I don't think I would have the guts as I like to hide behind my hair at times.:oops:

Me, I have had my hair super short. I miss it a lot. It was so cute.
I cut my own hair, but I have a cosmetology license and did hair for many years. I just do it for friends and family now.

10400235_1086842528119_8391_n.jpg
579017_4715744368397_713108452_n.jpg
Top was the shortest I have had my hair, the next was a few years ago a bit longer. I cut my hair.

Last edited:
I bought a groupon for a nice haircut. I use groupons a lot. I bought one for a lovely Thai restaurant that we are using tomorrow. I bought one for a microderm ad chemical peel a while ago and many other restaurants. It is about half off, sometimes more for the groupon. I love them.

I bought a groupon for a nice haircut. I use groupons a lot. I bought one for a lovely Thai restaurant that we are using tomorrow. I bought one for a microderm ad chemical peel a while ago and many other restaurants. It is about half off, sometimes more for the groupon. I love them.
You should also check out living social!

Reactions: SuicideBlonde
Me, I have had my hair super short. I miss it a lot. It was so cute.
I cut my own hair, but I have a cosmetology license and did hair for many years. I just do it for friends and family now.
I started cutting my own hair many years ago because my barber went to California for "six months" and never came back. I didn't feel like finding a new barber.
I normally just keep it trimmed up with scissors, but usually about twice a year I get tired of messing with it and use electric clipper to chop it to a height of about an 1/8 of an inch all over my whole head.
I do this too my facial hair too - I have friendly sideburns - something like this:
upload_2015-1-11_0-27-30.png(not to scale)

The hardest part for me is shaving my neck and evening out the back.

Attachments

• upload_2015-1-11_0-27-3.png
    upload_2015-1-11_0-27-3.png
    752 bytes · Views: 146
I often cut my own hair but it is naturally curly so it's pretty easy to hide mistakes when they happen. I will pay for a good haircut about 12-18 months or so, depending on how good or bad I've been doing. I almost always hate my hair after its been professionally cut, so I figure, if I'm going to hate it either way, why pay for it. :brood: The only really good cut I get is when I get a Ouidad cut but the salons are too far away and it's annoying trying to get there.
Ouidad - The Curl Experts[emoji768]

This place is amazing. Never thought I would ever say that about any hair salon.

And now that I went through all of this I just realized that this post should be anywhere but in a frugal thread. So I will end with saying, don't go here if you are trying to save money...cut your own hair!

Strung some apple slices to dry tonight. I like to have them for when I get the urge for something sweet.

I bought some at store the other day but I already ate them - these will be cheaper and just as good anyway. (Plus my apples were getting soft).

Won't be as pretty as the store bought apples were as I'm not going to bother with sulfuring them, because I don't know for sure where my sulfur is, and it's a pain setting everything up for sulfuring. If I was doing this in early fall or summer there's a slight possibility I might do it, but not in the current weather conditions.
-It's mainly for looks anyway, and as I'm the only person eating them who cares if they aren't as pretty?

I use organic essential oils as a cleaning product and also a disinfectant. I also add a few drops to the final rinse in the washing machine. It also makes an excellent air freshener. You just add a few drops onto a cotton wool pad and leave it in a small dish.

Reactions: PTree15 and Val
I remember, in my school years, there was a boy, Andrej, in our class, whose father was rich (compared to our families), + his job was connected to the UK (he worked in the embassy). So he bought his son Grinders sneakers. They had an astronomical price and a 32-year guarantee. No one believed the boy, except me, but he had no reason to lie: he used to spend every summer vacation in the UK, lol.