Frugal Ideas and Household Hints

I cut my own hair too. I'm just too uncomfortable going into a hair dresser's. Social anxiety and whatnot.

And I ALWAYS save leftover beer for hair rinses. :) It's a great conditioner. And we like coffee, chocolaty stouts so it always smells great too!

I mostly cut my own hair but it's mostly because there isn't a salon on the planet that can get it right. Well, that's not really true. There is one salon but it's in the city, NYC, and I don't do city. Expensive, too. Been there three times over the last decade or so. A few salons are popping up that are certified in the Ouidad cut but they aren't local, either.

My barber went on vacation about 15 or 16 years ago and he never came back.
I'd been cutting my own hair occasionally before that and after he left I just took over the job completely.

I've thought about visiting a barber now and again, but the cheapest one I know of now costs $10 (which is more than I wish to pay). So that on top of the hassle involved in travel has kept me cutting my own hair.

The last barber I ever went to was when I was working in Atlanta (1998 to 2000). While I was there I went to a barbershop named Red's in Alpharetta (a suburb of Atlanta). According to them I was the only white customer they'd ever had. For some reason all the guys that hung around the barbershop (along with the barbers) always seemed to find my presence there amusing.

Don't remember how much a cut was there, I do know it wasn't more than $10 with the tip included.

My hair is so long I sit on it, so I only get the ends trimmed every year or so.
When I was younger I had hair half-way down my back. I used to enjoy the way women would mess with it (on more than one occasion women I didn't know would come up behind me and just start braiding it). However after a few years the upkeep of that hair just felt like too much of a bother, so I let my cousin cut it off (as he got a kick out of doing that) and I got a crew cut. Since then I've mostly gone back and forth from slightly shaggy to crew cut.

Can anyone recommend a foolproof way to get out rust? The inside of my toaster oven is so rusty despite my efforts of trying to rid of it. I've tried a few natural remedies and even harsh cleaners, but nothing has worked. Barkeeper's Friend is a highly recommended scrub/cleaner but it didn't make a dent in the rust. Even scrubbing the hell out of it with brillo isn't working.

Can anyone recommend a foolproof way to get out rust? The inside of my toaster oven is so rusty despite my efforts of trying to rid of it. I've tried a few natural remedies and even harsh cleaners, but nothing has worked. Barkeeper's Friend is a highly recommended scrub/cleaner but it didn't make a dent in the rust. Even scrubbing the hell out of it with brillo isn't working.
You're pretty much out of luck. Once rust gets a hold in stainless the only thing that I know would stop it you shouldn't use in a toaster oven (chemicals) or anywhere else around food. The only other possibility is that you could sand it out with a fine sand paper, but then you'll scratch the finish and the rust would likely return.

I would either live with it (the bachelor method) or sand it with a very fine wet/dry silicon carbide* sandpaper (400+ grit at the very least) and then put a fine coat of vegetable oil on the area. (The area will have a different shine than the rest as it will have very fine scratches in it). Or you could donate it to a thrift store and buy a new one.

*Silicon carbide as the grit is important as it works better on metal (though aluminum oxide will also work, just not quite as well).

Sorry

It is probably time for you to get a new one.

My hair place is expensive and I found out they will trim my bangs for free in between cuts, which means I don't need to go in as often.

She did a terrible job doing it, though. She didn't listen at all and it looks awful. And it was free so I can't really ask for a refund or go back to have it fixed. Lol. I might just cut my own bangs next time.

My hair place is expensive and I found out they will trim my bangs for free in between cuts, which means I don't need to go in as often.

She did a terrible job doing it, though. She didn't listen at all and it looks awful. And it was free so I can't really ask for a refund or go back to have it fixed. Lol. I might just cut my own bangs next time.
I've been cutting my own hair for years (I think it might have even been mentioned in this thread).
I keep a pair of barber's scissors by my bathroom mirror and use them to tidy myself up fairly often (2 or 3 times a week) once you get used to doing it, and as long as you do do it fairly often it's an easy job.

I mostly cut my own hair...I go to a professional about once a year. The problem with that, though, is I occasionally mess up and then I have to get mad at myself instead of a hairdresser, lol. I hate that!

My hair is such that I don't have the luxury of cutting it myself. On rare occasions I might cut off a piece that keeps sticking out no matter how much I slick it down, but that's the extent of it. Unfortunately I need to keep it short and that means frequent visits to the salon. But they give out a card whereby I can get 10% off hair products (I buy my shampoo, conditioner and styling products from them) and when I get a certain number of haircuts, I get $5 off the next one. It used to be a free haircut, but they changed that, the damn cheapskates. Plus, they occasionally have coupons, maybe once a year.

I mostly cut my own hair...I go to a professional about once a year. The problem with that, though, is I occasionally mess up and then I have to get mad at myself instead of a hairdresser, lol. I hate that!
You might try leaving yourself a gentle reminder, perhaps by way of leaving yourself a smaller tip.

Whatever you do, don't confront yourself about the bad haircut. You don't want to make yourself so angry at yourself that you'll be tempted to deliberately mess up next time. These things can easily escalate, you could find yourself standing in the middle of the street yelling insults at the top of your lungs about your own breeding and upbringing, culminating in making suggestions that you do improbable sexual acts or it could even end up in physical violence (I can attest from my own experiences that some self-hair stylists aren't very stable, and they can have a hair trigger).

You could also end up with a real hairball of a problem - you might have to leave yourself to find another groomer.... and I think we all know how difficult that could be.

Did someone already post this? Baking soda takes away the stink from plastic containers!

I put my cat's kibble in a Rubbermaid container but turns out it's not totally airtight and the cat didn't like his kibble getting all stale. So I stopped using the container for that. But it just STANK of kitty food afterwards. Washed it a million times and still stunk. Finally, I tried putting some baking soda in and leaving it overnight. The next morning I cleaned it again and it smells like new again! YAY!

Yes. I did perform a victory dance in the kitchen. So what. :D

Reactions: Dropkick and Amy SF
This is the opposite of frugal.

The other day I'm putting something in my parent's kitchen trash and I noticed a plastic container, as I had earlier replaced all the cheap disposable plastic containers in the house with Rubbermaid I fished it out. I asked my Mom about it and she said "It's stained so I threw it away".
It had a red tinge from tomato sauce.
I bit my lip and stayed quiet as it's her house.

This is the opposite of frugal.

The other day I'm putting something in my parent's kitchen trash and I noticed a plastic container, as I had earlier replaced all the cheap disposable plastic containers in the house with Rubbermaid I fished it out. I asked my Mom about it and she said "It's stained so I threw it away".
It had a red tinge from tomato sauce.
I bit my lip and stayed quiet as it's her house.
http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/1521201/
"That's where baking soda comes in. Just making a thick paste of baking soda and water, and use it to scrub the container. The mildly abrasive mixture, plus the almost bleach-like power of the baking soda can remove the stain. Really, what can't baking soda do?"

Reactions: Danielle
That's pretty cool. The fringe part is a little confusing since its shorter than to the tip of her nose. She obviously cut shorter than that. Must be hard to judge. But all in all, nicely done. I wonder how it would work with shorter hair...probably can't use that technique. I'm going to see what happens when I try to get mine into a forehead ponytail.