Frugal Ideas and Household Hints

Amy SF

Dweller in nature
Supporter
Reaction score
Lifestyle
  1. Vegetarian
Same as Frugal Habits on VB, but new board, new thread title.

If you patronize a business on a regular or semi-regular basis and they offer cards which require customers to buy a certain number of goods or services and then they can get the next one free, grab as many cards as you can. You never know when they might stop offering the cards, but they will probably honor them if you still have any.

I was at Fantastic Sams last Friday to get a color treatment and haircut. I've been going to the same one in Santa Monica for years, and I had a card with 9 haircuts stamped, get the 12th haircut FREE. (So I have one more haircut to go and then #12 is free.) When I pulled it out to get the 10th one stamped, the hairdresser said to hang onto it, they don't give those out anymore. They do have cards where you get $5 off the 12th haircut, and $5 off is better than nothing, but naturally free is better. :)

I always try to stack a store coupon with a manufacturer's coupon if your stores allow it and often get free items by doing so.

I rinse and reuse aluminum foil and plastic baggies.

I always water down juices to make them last longer and to make them less sweet.

Not everyone is talented in that area. And I think it's probably easier for men than it is for women.

Yeah I was kidding for women (mostly). I've been clipping my own hair for a long time, well over 10 years... being bald does have some advantages. :p

My daughter and I recently started getting our haircuts at our community college's cosmetology school. They do excellent work and the price ($8) can't be beat.

Since we're talking about hair, it can be a lot cheaper to have a mobile hairdresser come to your house to do it than going to a salon. They have fewer overheads and are usually self-employed so are more willing to offer you a deal.

The salon nearest me charges £35 for a cut and blow dry, I can get the same from a mobile hairdresser at £17.

I have a mobile hairdresser and she charges me and my husband £16 for two wet cuts.:)

After seeing Forster's pantry I'm trying to find frugal ways of making my kitchen more organised and making more space. I'm going to go to the 99p shop next week to see if I can get containers for lentils, rice etc and am going to try and buy some cheap shelving or look for an old cabinet or bookcase in a charity shop.

Reactions: sallyomally
I was reading up on uses for watermelon rinds the other day. Not only can they be pickled, but it's common in Indian and other Asian cuisines to stir fry them. I just bought a big watermelon at Trader Joe's today for $3.99, so I might have to try out some of these options, to get the most bang for my buck.

Not peeling vegetables is a great frugal tip that GingerFoxx reminded me of. People throw away so much edible material, along with many of the vitamins and minerals which are found in highest concentrations right under the skin. Aside from the obvious ones like potatoes and carrots, you don't even need to peel squashes. Butternut squash, for example, has a yummy skin that adds a more interesting texture.

I've even see people peel fruits like apples before eating them, and I don't understand why.

I always peel carrots out of habit, hmm, I probably shouldn't bother.

I wanted a place to store my boxes of teas and my teapot so I used an old CD tower I had upstairs and put it in my kitchen.

My daughter found a coupon for a free bottle of body wash,and had a coupon for 1.oo off as well. The body was was on sale for 1.33, meaning she scored 2 large bottles of cruelty free body for 33 cents.

I think people do the peeling because of either the waxy coating and/or the pesticide spray stuff on them. I've peeled stuff like cucumbers because we really can't afford organic.

My brother had bought one of those giant jugs of Hawaiian Punch one time; instead of throwing it out, I washed it really well and now it holds my extra change and dollar bills. I don't know what I'll do when it gets completely full, though.

My daughter and I recently started getting our haircuts at our community college's cosmetology school. They do excellent work and the price ($8) can't be beat.

That is a good idea. I may suggest that to my dad and brother. They have a regular barber that they go to but if there's a place like that here and they can save money, might be worth looking into.

Not peeling vegetables is a great frugal tip that GingerFoxx reminded me of. People throw away so much edible material, along with many of the vitamins and minerals which are found in highest concentrations right under the skin. Aside from the obvious ones like potatoes and carrots, you don't even need to peel squashes. Butternut squash, for example, has a yummy skin that adds a more interesting texture.

I've even see people peel fruits like apples before eating them, and I don't understand why.

When I make my creamy butternut squash pasta sauce, I roast the squash skin and all. When I noticed how soft it became, I didn't bother scraping the flesh out of the skin. I put the whole thing, sans seeds (which I roasted separately) into the food processor with the remaining ingredients. It blended up so smooth, I realized just what you said, there is no need to peel it again.

I first realised when I went to South Africa and was served a gem squash. I wasn't sure if you were supposed to eat the skin or not so I tried a little bit and found it very palatable. I did the same with BNS when I got back to England and found it very yummy.

I almost always eat the skins and some stems of fruits and veggies. I try to use up every part of them. I cringe everytime I see someone peel a piece of produce and throw it away.