Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

I made the “brisket”. Unfortunately I thought I had barbecue sauce but I didn’t, so I’ll have to run out tomorrow and get some and finish cooking it. But it has an amazing flavor as is. I sliced some really thin to taste and I’m so excited. I can do this all the time now! I made a seitan roast that’s actually delicious!
Maybe I can Google for a barbecue sauce and make some.

You don't really need a classic barbecue sauce if you need a glaze when roasting seitan. I usually make a simple one with just
a few ingredients :

4/6 tbps pomegranate molasses or maple syrup
1 tbs evo
1 tbs cider vinegar
1-2 tbs concentrated tomato puree/paste
1 tbs liquid smoke
4 tbs braggs or soya sauce
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion powder

• Love
Reactions: KLS52
Sorry for any confusion. I thought I posted two videos but apparently, upon looking back, I did not. This is the one I made yesterday with a few adjustments.

The one thing that ruins the WTF method for me is having to use a processor to incorporate the seasonings. It worked fine when I did it but it’s just so much easier doing it with the VWG like yesterday. But I see me using both ways going forward.

You don't really need a classic barbecue sauce if you need a glaze when roasting seitan. I usually make a simple one with just
a few ingredients :

4/6 tbps pomegranate molasses or maple syrup
1 tbs evo
1 tbs cider vinegar
1-2 tbs concentrated tomato puree/paste
1 tbs liquid smoke
4 tbs braggs or soya sauce
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp onion powder
This is similar to the barbecue sauce I make. :) Delicious!

• Agree
Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
Sorry for any confusion. I thought I posted two videos but apparently, upon looking back, I did not. This is the one I made yesterday with a few adjustments.

The one thing that ruins the WTF method for me is having to use a processor to incorporate the seasonings. It worked fine when I did it but it’s just so much easier doing it with the VWG like yesterday. But I see me using both ways going forward.
I like this guy! And that brisket looks amazing. Must try.

• Informative

I've never used a processor to blend the spices. I just flatten it and sprinkle spices and smear BTB base and knead it by hand, then let it rest before braiding and knotting

• Agree
The brisket is in the oven. It smells amazing! I made barbecue sauce, so if it tastes good out of the oven, I'm going to grill half of it. OK, I just flipped, and it seems a little flimsy, though it did hold together. I used a spatula and tongs to make sure it didn't fall apart. I had to use ground oats for the chickpea flour, so maybe that's the difference. The braising liquid tastes really good. We'll see how it comes out.

• Love
The brisket is in the oven. It smells amazing! I made barbecue sauce, so if it tastes good out of the oven, I'm going to grill half of it. OK, I just flipped, and it seems a little flimsy, though it did hold together. I used a spatula and tongs to make sure it didn't fall apart. I had to use ground oats for the chickpea flour, so maybe that's the difference. The braising liquid tastes really good. We'll see how it comes out.
You did the Wicked brisket too? I thought about that, but couldn't decide on what to sub for chickpea flour, so I have this one in the oven instead- I really do like using jackfruit in seitan!

I made this before with a dark stout.This time I'm using the simmer broth I'd had frozen from a previous beefie seitan.
And my DIY worcheshire aged really well! I wish I knew what I did :shrug: :rofl:

Funny--I took out the glass jar from the freezer, used the micro to dethaw. It turned out it was my date paste 😝

You did the Wicked brisket too? I thought about that, but couldn't decide on what to sub for chickpea flour, so I have this one in the oven instead- I really do like using jackfruit in seitan!

I made this before with a dark stout.This time I'm using the simmer broth I'd had frozen from a previous beefie seitan.
And my DIY worcheshire aged really well! I wish I knew what I did :shrug: :rofl:

Funny--I took out the glass jar from the freezer, used the micro to dethaw. It turned out it was my date paste 😝
Yes, and it's delicious. I took a piece off, and it tastes great even without the barbecue sauce.

LOL on the date paste! Ooooh, your brisket looks delicious, too. I ground up some oats for the chickpea flour. It seems to have worked. I'm letting it cool a bit before I grill it with the barbecue sauce.

Reactions: EllieW
Yes, and it's delicious. I took a piece off, and it tastes great even without the barbecue sauce.

LOL on the date paste! Ooooh, your brisket looks delicious, too. I ground up some oats for the chickpea flour. It seems to have worked. I'm letting it cool a bit before I grill it with the barbecue sauce.
I did think about using ground oats--then remembered I'm completely out :pout:. Oats are one thing I obsess about being organic, and I just missed the sale I wait for!
I can tell they'd make a good texture and flavor. I'm even considering trying some cooked barley in some seitan sausage--for those I'd get some dark beer! I could be really wrong, but I have barley I'd like to use up.
One great thing about vwg--easy to make a little or a lot

Reactions: KLS52 and PTree15
20210430_194344.jpg20210430_193400.jpg

This is delicious! I will make this again for sure. This would be excellent for tacos as well. I will try the sandwich tomorrow.

• Wow
  • Love
I’m so excited for you guys! I’ve been eating mine plain without the barbecue sauce. I have a pick up on Sunday so I’ll make sure to get some. I’m afraid to make it myself because I’ve never had homemade barbecue sauce and I’m afraid I won’t like it!

Reactions: PTree15
I’m so excited for you guys! I’ve been eating mine plain without the barbecue sauce. I have a pick up on Sunday so I’ll make sure to get some. I’m afraid to make it myself because I’ve never had homemade barbecue sauce and I’m afraid I won’t like it!
It does taste great plain, too. I just love barbecue sauce, so I figured I would try it like the guy in the video. Plus, I wanted to grill :) I froze half of it as it makes a ton. I'm doing the barbecue sandwich tomorrow. I've not made Texas toast before, but it sounds like it would be quite tasty with the brisket. Lots of sandwich possibilities.

• Agree

Believe me if you can make seitan, you can make barbecue sauce.:)

Moreover, any sauce dish or bake tastes a hundred times better compared to something that comes out of a bottle except for perhaps wine. :innocent:

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and KLS52
Believe me if you can make seitan, you can make barbecue sauce.:)

Moreover, any sauce dish or bake tastes a hundred times better compared to something that comes out of a bottle except for perhaps wine. :innocent:
I know I “can” make it. My hesitation is deciding on a “recipe”. There are so many variations and I’m afraid I might not choose one with the right combination of ingredients. I guess I can make a small batch and taste as I go along. You know if I have to add anything it will be extra sugar hahahahaha.

• Haha
Reactions: PTree15
I wish I thought to sear it first before baking like some of the other recipes. Next time.

I know I “can” make it. My hesitation is deciding on a “recipe”. There are so many variations and I’m afraid I might not choose one with the right combination of ingredients. I guess I can make a small batch and taste as I go along. You know if I have to add anything it will be extra sugar hahahahaha.
I'm like that. There are certain things I just prefer to buy bottled--BBQ def is one! And some spice blends--Berbere for sure!
I don't seem to like other peoples seasoning blends, but I'll make one up as I go along and sometimes it's great, and I have NO idea what happened! This just happened mixing up vegan worcheshire. It was so much better after sitting but all I know is it has mostly acv, tamarind paste, garlic powder, maybe dijon, onion powder....I've got to try again,because it added a ton of flavor. I had Fresh Thyme vegan worch, but it's like $4 a bottle.

My ribz/brisket came out soooo good. I did the same thing of putting in a 8x8 casserole and adding half & half bbq sauce and water, which takes at least twice the cook time, but ends up perfect. It's a really highly saturated dough as is, but it absorbed it all and cooked with a chewy crisp top and 'fatty' feeling layers of seitan. In my head it was the memory of when I liked ribs. My omni son agreed it looked like meat, but it wasn't

I always omit sugar in recipes especially barbecue style/marinade sauces and also cornbread. :cool:

Go for it and live dangerously! o_O

Try date paste, or molasses? I added molasses to the wet in my recipe--and when I discovered I dethawed the date paste did consider trying bbq sauce 😝

Try date paste, or molasses? I added molasses to the wet in my recipe--and when I discovered I dethawed the date paste did consider trying bbq sauce 😝
Molasses maybe but no date paste. 😜 I’m a brown sugar girl myself.