Foolproof Seitan recipes/Tips/Techniques

I made a really small amount. Threw together a squirt of ketchup, white vinegar, onion, garlic, dry mustard, sugar and molasses. It was good! I put a couple of slices in the air fryer and it was amazing. That’s very bad though. I don’t need the extra calories from the barbecue sauce. 🙄

• Informative
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE -Donna Hay

• ¼ CUP (30G) Smoked paprika
  • ½ Tsp Cayenne pepper
  • ¼ CUP (60ML) Apple cider vinegar
  • 1 Tbs tomato puree
  • ½ CUP (175G) Honey(substitute with maple syrup or agave)
  • 1/3 CUP (75G) Brown or Muscovado sugar (substitute with sweetener)
  • 2 Tsp mustard powder (or Dijon mustard)
  • 1 Tbs Bourbon ( or cider, apple juice etc)

BOURBON BARBECUE SAUCE -Donna Hay

• ¼ CUP (30G) SMOKED PAPRIKA
  • ½ TEASPOON CAYENNE PEPPER
  • ¼ CUP (60ML) APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
  • 1 TABLESPOON TOMATO PASTE
  • ½ CUP (175G) HONEY (substitute with maple syrup or agave)
  • 1/3 CUP (75G) BROWN SUGAR (substitute with sweetener)
  • 2 TEASPOONS MUSTARD POWDER (or Dijon mustard)
  • 1 TABLESPOON BOURBON
This sounds good. Unfortunately I don’t keep bourbon in the house. 😟 maybe I should rectify that lol. I would also have to eliminate the smoked paprika because I don’t like anything with a smoky flavor. Maybe use regular paprika instead.

Now that I have the basics down I will definitely make it more often. Possibly not even bother with store bought barbecue sauce ever again haha.

• Love
Reactions: PTree15 and shyvas
This sounds good. Unfortunately I don’t keep bourbon in the house. 😟 maybe I should rectify that lol. I would also have to eliminate the smoked paprika because I don’t like anything with a smoky flavor. Maybe use regular paprika instead.

Now that I have the basics down I will definitely make it more often. Possibly not even bother with store bought barbecue sauce ever again haha.
That recipe seems a little sweet for me. I think I would eliminate the brown sugar. The rest sounds good, though. I like the bourbon idea, but I, too, don't keep any in the house. :D

I have half the brisket in the freezer, but I'm looking forward to grilling it again. It was so great!

Reactions: shyvas and KLS52
That recipe seems a little sweet for me. I think I would eliminate the brown sugar. The rest sounds good, though. I like the bourbon idea, but I, too, don't keep any in the house. :D

I have half the brisket in the freezer, but I'm looking forward to grilling it again. It was so great!
That's what I thought.
Since we were just talking Aldi, have you tried their regional flavor BBQ sauces? No corn syrup. The Texas is my favor, smokey and a bit sweet sweet. My son loves Kansas which is a bit tangy and not smokey

That's what I thought.
Since we were just talking Aldi, have you tried their regional flavor BBQ sauces? No corn syrup. The Texas is my favor, smokey and a bit sweet sweet. My son loves Kansas which is a bit tangy and not smokey
I have not, but I might check it out. I usually make my own. I'm a fan of the smoky and not too sweet as well.

I totally agree. I never add sugar to marinades/sauces.
You can substitute the bourbon with either cider, apple juice or brandy or just omit it.

I totally agree. I never add sugar to marinades/sauces.
You can substitute the bourbon with either cider, apple juice or brandy or just omit it.
Hmm, I think apple juice might be a good substitute. Thank you. :)

• Friendly
Reactions: shyvas
I'm bigging up today's Vegan Life Mag podcast, as it's a seitan special (and not just because they read out my laverbread question!*).

*Use sparingly was the consensus...

Seitan160521_small.jpg
Apologies for the naff picture, but this is the most success I've had with Seitan so far. I used VWG, mashed chickpeas, tomato flakes, onion flakes, pepper, stock, soy sauce and liquid smoke (edit - forgot to mention nigella seeds and nooch). I intentionally didn't knead it, hoping to avoid the rubbery texture of my previous failures. The doughball was soaked in warm stock for a couple of hours.

I thought it was going to be a disaster because it was so damp and spongy, but cutting into strips and sauteeing it very well saved the day. It would have been inedible as a burger, which was my original intention. I've cut the rest up finely and think it will work best as mince.

Even cut up as mince, the 'raw' Seitan clumps together and forms new connective tissue without any help, so I wonder if kneading has quite the effect we think it has.

I still have some way to go to get near some of the fantastic creations in this thread, but I've made some progress. Next time I think I'll try some finely grated beetroot, a bit of kneading and make it less wet.

Last edited:
View attachment 24501
Apologies for the naff picture, but this is the most success I've had with Seitan so far. I used VWG, mashed chickpeas, tomato flakes, onion flakes, pepper, stock, soy sauce and liquid smoke (edit - forgot to mention nigella seeds and nooch). I intentionally didn't knead it, hoping to avoid the rubbery texture of my previous failures. The doughball was soaked in warm stock for a couple of hours.

I thought it was going to be a disaster because it was so damp and spongy, but cutting into strips and sauteeing it very well saved the day. It would have been inedible as a burger, which was my original intention. I've cut the rest up finely and think it will work best as mince.

Even cut up as mince, the 'raw' Seitan clumps together and forms new connective tissue without any help, so I wonder if kneading has quite the effect we think it has.

I still have some way to go to get near some of the fantastic creations in this thread, but I've made some progress. Next time I think I'll try some finely grated beetroot, a bit of kneading and make it less wet.

Is this your very first attempt at making seitan? I also find that by tweaking the recipes and especially by adjusting the ingredients (spices etc) I have finally managed to find recipes that are perfect.
I also like to use it in either strips or cubes for making curries, cottage pie (usually minced) and stews.

Is this your very first attempt at making seitan? I also find that by tweaking the recipes and especially by adjusting the ingredients (spices etc) I have finally managed to find recipes that are perfect.
I also like to use it in either strips or cubes for making curries, cottage pie (usually minced) and stews.
I've made it before using the washed flour method, and this is my first attempt using VWG. I used the rest of this batch cut up very finely and sauteed as mince in a chilli. That worked pretty well, and I followed some advice to add it right at the end so it doesn't go flabby (that doesn't bode well for the leftover chilli though - I haven't tried that yet).

I'm not totally sold on the texture of the stuff I've made (never just right - either too rubbery or too spongy), so I'm going to buy some and remind myself what it's meant to be like. Maybe I can improve it a lot, or maybe I'm just not a huge seitan fan.

• Informative
Reactions: shyvas
I love the recipe by futurelettuce. I use chickpea flour instead of white and blended tofu. It changes the texture to something amazing.

Basic seitan

1 cup instant vital wheat gluten flour
1 cup water

In a medium bowl, stir together wheat gluten and water until completely combined. Knead for about 3 minutes (or less if you want it less chewy). Shape the seitan into a short baguette (about 5 inches long). Cut in half lengthwise and then in half again crosswise. Cut or pull each quarter into 3 roughly equal pieces.

Bring stock to a boil. Stretch each "wing" a little before placing carefully into stock. Reduce heat to a very slow simmer and cover pot with lid. Let simmer for 50-60 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes (or whenever you think of it), until broth has almost completely reduced. If it doesn't, no worries. (Pieces will expand, but shrink back down.) Use immediately or store in the refrigerator (for up to 6 days) or the freezer (for up to 6 months). .
So is wheat gluten flour and water generally always a good base? (of course I will try adding various spices, dijon, soy sauce, etc.)?
What "stock" is referred to?

I used to purchase pre-made seitan but it is no longer around, and I don't purchase "vegan chicken" and the like.

Thanks for all the ingredient ideas!