Butler Soy Curls

silva

Forum Legend
Reaction score
I bought these off amazon, but my next purchase will be directly from Butlers site- the 12 lb bag.
I've been seeing recipes for these here and there, and saw the great reviews on amazon, but they seemed expensive to try and weren't in stores. Seemed like they'd be similar to TVP, which I really dislike. They are NOT like TVP, which I why I didn't add to the old thread about them, people seemed to think they were the same.
First try, I used a whole bag, added 2 cups hot no chicken broth, and let sit for 15 min. They absorbed it all. I added them to a lightly oiled hot cast iron and realized - that's a lot! Half a bad filled a 12 inch pan. I cooked till they had a light sear, sprinkling some Braggs, and served with veggies. I was amazed at the great texture they had, I think very similar to what I missed about meat. It wasn't the taste, but the things like the sear, the chew, the crispy seasoned bits. They won on every point. My son who still eats chicken, said they definitely not that much like chicken, but he really liked them.
The rest of the curls I sauteed and had with hot sauce. Delicious
The second time I rehydrated the same way and layered over premade stuffing, topped with a mushroom gravy and then frozen broccoli. That was just like I used to make with leftover turkey. That was amazingly good!
I can't get over how easy these are, you just rehydrate, season and cook like you would chicken.
When I first went vegan I avoided anything like meat, but after years I just like to try new foods. I don't get the association with meat I guess.

The ingredients are - Non GMO soybeans grown in USA. That's all.
They are vegan, and gluten free!

Butler Foods | Home

Reactions: Freesia
Do they pick up any flavor? That's my main gripe about TVP. It always comes out so bland, no matter what I do to it.

They really do! When rehydrated with the broth, which I make weak, they taste disgusting, but once you get them going in the pan and they start to dry out, they're amazing! They get a better texture than any kind of meat sub. I believe if you baked them they would be very much like jerky
They really get most flavor I think from what you put on after they're rehydrated. I sprinkled on Braggs, poultry seasoning, and hot sauce (individually of course)

Check their website for store locations, a lot of small shops carry them. I actually found an all vegan bakery and store not that far from me that has them at $5 a bag! I never knew about them, so I'm planning to go Sat and get something from Miyoko's creamery! :)